Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Help rewiring my ignition switcn

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-19, 08:39 AM
ThatGuy17
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help rewiring my ignition switcn

I'm on a tight budget(no income practically) and would like any help possible guidance on telling me what wires I can just twist together on this cut ignition switch harness. I'm starting to doubt myself

HELP ME! BEEN STUCK ON THIS FOR MONTHS. I JUST Wanna drive my SC
Old 06-15-19, 02:09 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

Did the previous owner cut the wires coming directly off the ignition key tumbler assembly?? That would no doubt be confusing!

Is the lower connector wiring still intact? Or is it both the upper and lower wires that are cut at each connector end.

I am not immediately sure how to diagnose which wires need to go where based on your picture (are ALL of them cut??)...

...but if you look through my notes and diagrams in this SC300 turbo timer harness thread you should be able to start understanding each wire’s location in the circuit and what it does.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...l#post10526436

I also list the upper and lower connector part numbers as well as the wire terminal part numbers.

But IF you order anything, only order exactly what you need. A critical connector or couple of wires is not going to cost too much but ordering everything listed will cost a LOT.

I would NOT recommend just twisting them together. I would strongly recommend solder repair with heat shrink tubing. It’s still possible to do a lot of that fairly cheaply.

—match the same wire gauges to extend or replace. This is important. A marine/boat supply store or Grainger Supply or local independent electronics junk shop will often carry all types of small wire gauges for DIY electrical. Old junk Toyota wiring harness wires are the best to use if you can get any for relatively little money.

—use good electronics solder with some built in flux, not the huge gauge crap solder you’ll find at AutoZone.

—Harbor Freight has super cheap 127-piece assorted heat shrink tube kits.

—for the very thick gauge wires get a pack of butt crimp connectors, cut away the heat shrink tubing they come with (and protect your fingers as you so so), and feed heat shink tubing onto one or more ends, then crimp the wires, then spot solder at each end to be sure the wires won’t pop out, then heat shrink.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 06-15-19 at 02:14 PM.
Old 06-15-19, 02:22 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

Also if you look in this thread I’ve listed exactly what soldering tools and expendables to buy for any general wiring repair on the SC. If you only get exactly what you need of each it can cost very little to get those wires fixed permanently again with solid connections.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...l#post10537697

But take a look at the notes in the SC turbo timer harness thread first. Best to familiarize yourself with what each wire and pin on each connector is supposed to be doing.

Wire colors on those connectors changed a couple of times over the SC model years but the purpose of each wire on each connector pin did not.

With the round thing from your SC’s ignition in your picture you should be able to determine each wire’s corresponding function on the black connector by matching the wire colors coming off it. And from there you can see what each pin is supposed to do.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 06-15-19 at 02:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
SCJim (06-15-19)
Old 07-25-19, 07:06 AM
scsexy
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

This is for a 97 without any more info i can only guess what year ur car is....
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
LZ1SI_2JZ-GE_97 (1).pdf (77.6 KB, 55 views)