Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

new sc owner with older sc

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-02, 08:02 AM
muwape
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new sc owner with older sc

I apologize if this subject has been beaten to death, but I'm new here and would like some basic input from the people that know.

I recently bought a '93 sc300 from my brother. It has 130,000 miles but still runs like new. It has to be the most comfortable car I ever drove, but the emphasis was obviously on luxury, not performance. What is the best course to follow to get better performance, short of a turbo? There's a performance shop near me that wants to put a cold air intake and custom exhaust on it and says that will increase my hp about 10-15%. Does this sound right? And is this a 200 or 225 hp engine? Is the engine too old for a turbo?
I'm sorry about all the questions, but I want to spend wisely and get the most bang for my bucks.
thanks in advance
Old 08-03-02, 09:55 AM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Welcome.

Turbo is the best bang for the buck.

Exhaust and Intake will not help too much...just make alot of noise.

Get the car tuned up and have the fluids changed. That will help a ton. If you want power cheap then you bought the wrong car. I would suggest searching on here under 'turbo' for some options.

MW
Old 08-03-02, 10:00 AM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

Talking

As many will state, the search button at the top left of the forum index page will yeild wonderful results. It is difficult to validate performance claims from adding an intake or exhaust. The seat of the pants/ear dyno usually agrees but the real chasis dyno may be disappointing. No single modification is going to make that big of a difference. It is a combination of modifications that are properly done and tuned that make the difference. There is a simple way to open up the air intake - do a search and you will be pleased. For 15$ to 70$ or so, you can have the same gains as these 200$+ intakes. It is all preference though. Exhaust, I have not gone there yet. I am saving for turbo because I feel that is the only real way to get real power. You may research replacing the oem cooling fan - something I used to think was a good idea. Not so sure anymore. An clutch upgrade or torque converter will give a little kick. Your could always squirt some juice - the n2o. Fuel controllers from Apexi and such.

I would get any problems fixed. Put some wheels on it. Maybe do the suspension, lower it a little. And save for the turbo - but thats just me.

Good luck and welcome.
Old 08-12-02, 09:15 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want to go cheap you could replace some of the pulleys with lighter weight ones and then add the air filter and exhaust. But when you do this you must tune the car.

My suggestion is if you want to go NA then:

Replace the rotors,caps,plugs, and wires.
Replace the serpentine belt.
Replace the timing belt,water pump, thermostat, get radiator flush.
Get an Apexi-SAFC.
Get a filter that draws COLD air from somewhere and not underhood engine compartment heat.
Good clean exhaust.
Synthetic oil or blend.
Replace the torque converter with a Precision industries one and fill the tranny with TypeIV Toyota spec ATF.
Professional tuning.

I am not sure of the gains but your car will run like a champ.

Last edited by Hermosa; 08-24-02 at 04:59 PM.
Old 08-13-02, 05:31 AM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

do not do the crank pulley..it will trash you motor......and i have heard of alot of PI TC failing.....be careful with that.....i would do the cap wires rotor.....all fluids including tranny , differential.....all belts.....and add a stage 1 turbo...make over 350rwhp and enjoy....Jeff