Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Oil Warning Light

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-02, 08:56 PM
SCLEX
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Warning Light

My oil light came on after I would go fast, and I was due for an oil change, so I got one. After the change, later that night I raced someone (won) and the light came back on. Is there anything wrong with my car, or do ya'll have any suggestions? Thanks!

-Richard
Old 08-02-02, 10:34 PM
SDSC300
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is it just the yellow light?
the red oil light is the one you have to worry about the yellow is just a low oil light and your sensor could just be going bad (did you check your oil just in case?).. every once in a while mine does the same thing your talking about... eventually I figure I will have to replace the sensor.
Old 08-03-02, 09:48 AM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

Actually I don't think that our sc's have oil "level" lights, they are oil "pressure" lights.

Check your oil pump. When those lights come on, its pretty dangerous.
Old 08-03-02, 12:41 PM
SDSC300
Lead Lap

Originally posted by bizzy928
Actually I don't think that our sc's have oil "level" lights, they are oil "pressure" lights.

Check your oil pump. When those lights come on, its pretty dangerous.
ACTUALLY they do, the yellow light is low oil , and the RED is pressure - thats the bad one if it comes on and stays on.

dont scare people Bizzy!
Old 08-03-02, 01:57 PM
SCLEX
Pole Position

Ok, thanks, Ill check it out.
Old 08-04-02, 10:22 AM
Chairmnofthbord
Pole Position

Default just add oil

just check your oil, your probably low on oil.
Old 08-05-02, 04:25 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default My oil light flickers, too....

....but until I read this thread, I didn't know there was a yellow and a red light. I thought there was just one light, for oil pressure.

In the 5 years I've had my car, I've seen the light come on several times. Once, it came on while I was just idling at a traffic light. It sure scared me, but now I know it will flicker from time to time, and as long as it does not stay on, it is probably just the sensor having a bad day.
Old 08-05-02, 09:32 PM
SDSC300
Lead Lap

Default Re: My oil light flickers, too....

Originally posted by PERRYinLA
....but until I read this thread, I didn't know there was a yellow and a red light. I thought there was just one light, for oil pressure.

In the 5 years I've had my car, I've seen the light come on several times. Once, it came on while I was just idling at a traffic light. It sure scared me, but now I know it will flicker from time to time, and as long as it does not stay on, it is probably just the sensor having a bad day.
thats exactly what mine does, but never stays on for more than a few seconds.
Old 12-07-04, 09:25 PM
98LexusSc3
Rookie

i am bring this post back from the dead.i did a search like everyone always says to do.ok now i have a 98 sc300 w/ 70k miles.when i start my car after it sits for a while the oil pressure light blinks for about 2-3 secs when i start it up.is this a problem?it does not blink while i am driving the car. it is the indicator all the way to the right and it is red.i do not know if this has been happening for a while because i just noticed it.
thank you for all your help
Old 12-08-04, 10:26 AM
SPORTcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by 98LexusSc3
i am bring this post back from the dead.i did a search like everyone always says to do.ok now i have a 98 sc300 w/ 70k miles.when i start my car after it sits for a while the oil pressure light blinks for about 2-3 secs when i start it up.is this a problem?it does not blink while i am driving the car. it is the indicator all the way to the right and it is red.i do not know if this has been happening for a while because i just noticed it.
Fill up your oil until you're at the top notch on the dipstick(if you don't know the proper technique for checking oil level, check the car's user's manual)
If the light it still blinking with oil full, get sensor replaced.

~Alan
Old 12-08-04, 02:24 PM
98LexusSc3
Rookie

Originally posted by SPORTcoupe
Fill up your oil until you're at the top notch on the dipstick(if you don't know the proper technique for checking oil level, check the car's user's manual)
If the light it still blinking with oil full, get sensor replaced.

~Alan
thanks i will try that
Old 12-08-04, 03:32 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Heres a good time to get this out

THE SC300's OIL CAPACITY IS 5 QUARTS, NOT 4 LIKE THE MANUAL SAYS

Trust me, I am very pissed at Lexus for having my owners manual say my capacity is 4.1 quarts, when in actually it is a full 5 quarts. I may have done some damage by having my oil down a quart shortly after oil changes, and I blame Lexus for this.
Old 12-08-04, 04:51 PM
98LexusSc3
Rookie

Originally posted by /Aerostar\

Trust me, I am very pissed at Lexus for having my owners manual say my capacity is 4.1 quarts, when in actually it is a full 5 quarts. I may have done some damage by having my oil down a quart shortly after oil changes, and I blame Lexus for this.
very good info to have
Old 12-08-04, 07:53 PM
SDSC300
Lead Lap

Originally posted by /Aerostar\

Mine says 5.1..... 4?! are you sure?

I was talking to a Lexus certified tech that puts in 6 because you never get a full quart out of a quart of oil.
Old 12-08-04, 08:10 PM
97SC300
Driver

Originally posted by 98LexusSc3
If the light only comes on when you start it up you probably have a bunk oil filter that isnt holding the oil in it, the oil filters are supposed to have a valve built in to it keep the oil in the filter for good starts. so when your car sits for a while the oil is probably draining out of the filter into the engine, and when you start it up it fills the oil filter before it gets to the engine parts so it will show there is low oil pressure, but once the filter fills up its all normal.

hope thats your problem.

and for all the people that dont know how much oil to put in, FILL IT TILL THE OIL CHECK STICK SAYS ITS FULL. no more no less. and make sure to start it and shut it off before you check it to make sure the oil went into the filter.

Last edited by 97SC300; 12-08-04 at 08:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Oil Warning Light