Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Distributor Delete Pics w/ 7m-gte CPS / vvti Coilpacks

Old 05-23-11, 04:58 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

can coils from a 99 gs300 be used or it has to be is 300 coils as i thought they were the same
Old 05-23-11, 05:21 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 240sxrb30
Has anybody done this with the aem v2 na box yet?
I haven't tried it yet, but i just install a gte V2 AEM on na-t and the next mods will be deleting the distributor.V1 and V2 have the same ecu connectors just little differences here and there.

Originally Posted by lexforlife
can coils from a 99 gs300 be used or it has to be is 300 coils as i thought they were the same
ED they are all the same 01+IS300 or 98-05GS300 not sure if the 3rd gen GS uses the same coils.
Old 05-23-11, 05:24 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Quicksc4

ED they are all the same 01+IS300 or 98-05GS300 not sure if the 3rd gen GS uses the same coils.

thx bro .. last question , how are you guys bolting it to na head.. can someone post up pictures of them installed and bolted down
Old 05-23-11, 05:32 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well i had them on my VVTi Cylinder head so it already had the holes, but on Ali's car we just drop them in there and the will come out unless you pull on them hard.
Maybe Ali can post some pics of his setup.
Old 05-23-11, 10:11 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by lexforlife
thx bro .. last question , how are you guys bolting it to na head.. can someone post up pictures of them installed and bolted down
The non vvti ge does not have the holes already there.
The boots on those coils are like super suction cups. It goes around the plug tight and there is a ridge on the boot where its a squeeze fit onto the top of the plug hole. It takes a tug to remove the coil, and you can feel the suction. I have no bolts and no problems yet, and I have thrown the car around some to test it out. If u look closely at the supraforums thread (copied below), he puts those little sticky foam pieces (like for furniture) on each side of the coil. They are so wide this will make it snug between the sides of the valvecovers, once you get them in you will see how close they are, but I didn't bother cause they dont feel like they are going anywhere.
I used 3 of the stock plug wires (had to modify the caps) instead of the IS300 plug wires and they seem to help keep the coils in place also. I recommend using the IS300 plug wires they fit much easier and they are about the same height I just didnt get them with my coils so i improvised, i will be changing them out with the next set of plugs.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 05-23-11 at 10:45 AM.
Old 05-23-11, 05:40 PM
240sxrb30
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yo Ali earlier u said to change the crank and cam high and low sen to 6000rpms right. Are the sure the low sen shouldn't be lower then the high. One more thing when I switched off coils 4-6 I noticed that they have a drop down box where the coils can be leading or trailing.
For ex

Coil 1 leading
Coil 1b
Coil 2 leading
Coil 2b
Coil 3 leading
Coil 3b

What I'm asking is should I turn on the coils 1b,2b,3b and make em trailing or no. Is there anything else that we need to do to the aem box for this mod?
Old 05-23-11, 07:06 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

yes set them both to 6000 rpms, that will work just fine.
look in the 1130 cal file and see whats in there, thats for a mk3 supra 7m-gte, uses that CPS.
coils 4 and 5 are never used for a 2jz.

you should have coils 1-3 on if you have spark teeth set to 12 (3 coils like vvti wasted spark).
you should have coils 1-3 & 6-8 on if you have spark teeth set to 24 (6 coils like a supra TT).
as long as your ignition phasing table is correct, with the vvti setup you can run it with either 12 or 24 spark teeth, but if you run 24 remember you must turn on coils 6-8 also.
Our engines are leading, the rotaries are the engines that use trailing.
set coil dwell around the 10-20 range.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 05-23-11 at 07:10 PM.
Old 05-27-11, 06:39 PM
240sxrb30
Driver School Candidate

since no one mention this i will. the plug that goes to the old coil fits the vvti coil's so you only need to find two more.

where does the white/blue wire on the noise filter go? and how is it tied into the ignitor? does it get the signal before or after the ignitor? i'm looking to seperate or tie the filter into all three coils.

so ali how many wires do we need to move over from the old ignitor to the new one? does pin c- go to coil 1 or coil 2? since i'm useing the aem v2 should i move over the tach signal (ext)? sorry it's just the one pin lay out i found was confusing to me lol?
Old 05-27-11, 09:37 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

since no one mention this i will. the plug that goes to the old coil fits the vvti coil's so you only need to find two more.

where does the white/blue wire on the noise filter go? and how is it tied into the ignitor? does it get the signal before or after the ignitor? i'm looking to seperate or tie the filter into all three coils.

so ali how many wires do we need to move over from the old ignitor to the new one? does pin c- go to coil 1 or coil 2? since i'm useing the aem v2 should i move over the tach signal (ext)? sorry it's just the one pin lay out i found was confusing to me lol?
yes it is the same clip, you can reuse that one if its not cracked.
the noise filter is wired into the ground line if i remember correctly, and it isnt really connected to the ignitor directly so i just left it where it was plugged in. do you think it would be better to move it closer to the coils?

you do not use the old coil wire at the ignitor if that what c- is. that coil wire is the only wire that does not get moved over to the new ignitor.

Next you depin all the wires from the old ignitor and plug them into the new ignitor's connector, like T1, IGF, +12v and tach (technically IGF is not used by the aem but I plug it in anyways). the only wire you dont need from the old ignitor is the one going to the old coil, you leave that unplugged.
The old ignitor doesnt have a ground wire but the new one does, add a wire and run it to battery ground, pretty simple.
Old 05-30-11, 12:19 PM
240sxrb30
Driver School Candidate

i dont see why the old c- pin wont work since it went to the old coil. and the old coil has one of the plugs you need for the coil packs. it has the c- and the b+ in that plug which the wires are long enough o run to the coil pack one. making it easier to tap into the b+ for the other two coil packs.

i thought to myself while i was looking at it with the sweat rolling down my face. why won't the tach wire work with this ignitor? oh and will the small pins work cause i know the vvti ignitor uses large pins but the small pins fit on it they just don't fit all the way in the holes on the new clips. i don't feel like buying more pins for this mod lol.
Old 05-31-11, 11:54 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

i dont see why the old c- pin wont work since it went to the old coil. and the old coil has one of the plugs you need for the coil packs. it has the c- and the b+ in that plug which the wires are long enough o run to the coil pack one. making it easier to tap into the b+ for the other two coil packs.

i thought to myself while i was looking at it with the sweat rolling down my face. why won't the tach wire work with this ignitor? oh and will the small pins work cause i know the vvti ignitor uses large pins but the small pins fit on it they just don't fit all the way in the holes on the new clips. i don't feel like buying more pins for this mod lol.
yes if you want to take the time to peel back the harness and unwrap the coil wire you could get it to that spot most likely, but i dont know ho much you gotta unwrap to accomplish that since its over by the maf on a different side of the harness. give it a shot if it makes it it makes it i didnt try i just made 4 wires straight to the ignitor. you will have to run 2 wires from the ignitor even if you do that, so I just said eff it and ran all 4 and kept the wires nice and short. that was my logic anyways and you can also use that driftmotion harness for a mk3 supra and extend it.

the tach wire does work with this ignitor. i am not sure what you mean by that but your tach will not work until you do the resistor mod to your gauge cluster cause the tach signal is a little different. so resistor mod and connect tach wire, and you will have a working tach.
i didnt notice a difference in pin size, looked the same to me, I swapped them over no issues.
Old 06-01-11, 06:02 PM
240sxrb30
Driver School Candidate

Yea I removed all the tape, loom and rubber padding so I could move the iacv and attempt a wire tuck. Thanks for informing me bout the tach mod. No one mentioned it in these dizzy delete 7m cps pages. How come this isn't a sticky on here? How exactly do u do the tach mod?
Old 06-01-11, 10:54 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

its a common SC mod you need to do no matter which engine you run 1jzgte 2jzgte or coilpacks on na-t. you take out the cluster and jump a resistor, this changes the tach signal from low to high. pre-95 jump r109 resistor. post 95 jump r73 resistor. 97+ w/vvti you already have coilpacks so you are good to go.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...-a-2jzgte.html
I dont think we really do stickies around here, its a sticky @ club na-t though.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 06-01-11 at 11:00 PM.
Old 06-11-11, 07:18 PM
BAD954BOI
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey.. guys my COP conversion is coming along and should be in next weekend if nothing comes up...

also, my boy want to do his car but he thinks the tt coils are better then the vvti coils

just for a straight fact:

are you able to boost to 30 psi with the vvti ignitor and 7mgte dizzy, with tt coils instead of the vvti coils without a DLI?

Just wanted to get a clear answer
Old 06-12-11, 06:36 AM
gadgetSC
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BAD954BOI
hey.. guys my COP conversion is coming along and should be in next weekend if nothing comes up...

also, my boy want to do his car but he thinks the tt coils are better then the vvti coils

just for a straight fact:

are you able to boost to 30 psi with the vvti ignitor and 7mgte dizzy, with tt coils instead of the vvti coils without a DLI?

Just wanted to get a clear answer
The vvti coils/igniter were designed to operate in wasted spark config. To run wasted spark, the TT coils need to be configured to run wasted spark which requires them to fire twice as often than their normal config causing a weaker spark, which is why the DLI is required. I started boosting without the DLI shortly after completing this mod six years ago. I never boosted past 28psi. Member motorheaddown has been running 30+ psi with impressive results for quite some time. IMO the vvti coils are the better choice.

gadgetsc

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Distributor Delete Pics w/ 7m-gte CPS / vvti Coilpacks