Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Distributor Delete Pics w/ 7m-gte CPS / vvti Coilpacks

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-11, 09:34 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

TT coils require a DLI in wasted spark (AEM V1), and do not show much advantage even when they are used in sequential operation as some people still run a DLI.

The VVti coils run great with Wasted Spark and there is a reason Toyota switched over most of their cars to wasted spark in the late 90's, mainly reliability, but they also delivered on performance. Even the VVti Supra 2JZGTE runs the same VVti coils as the IS300. The 95 Avalon used to use a TT ignitor and 6 indivudual coilpacks, and was switched in 96 to a wasted spark setup using a DS 62 ignitor. The camry v6 was similarly switched to a wasted spark ignition with the same ignitor. The SC and GS was switched to wasted spark when they got VVti, even the 1jz got them I want to say.
VVti coils are newer, designed better, more reliable, and the spark is good enough for very large amounts of boost, not to mention its easier to check your timing cause there is a plug wire on cylinder 1.

If you read AEM's install instructions for the 30-1100 (supra GTE), they are aware of how bad the stock 6 coils are in wasted spark, it always cracks me up to read this, this is what they suggest:
The installation of the AEM ECU on the Toyota Supra TT converts the ignition system to a wasted spark system. This change in ignition strategy requires reducing the spark plug gap to .025”. With standard spark plugs, the reduction in plug gap may cause poor idle quality unless the mixture is run richer than 12.5:1 AFR and the ignition timing is reduced to 11 degrees BTDC. We have found that the use of the Denso Iridium Power spark plugs (IQ24 or IQ26) eliminates the idle quality issue when using reduced plug gaps. Additionally, these spark plugs have proven to perform exceptionally well when used in moderate to high boost applications.

Do yourself a favor, don't buy a DLI or run 12.5:1 & 11 deg @ idle w/ .025 gap to band aid the problem, buy yourself some vvti coilpacks and a ignitor to match. problem solved.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 06-12-11 at 09:43 AM.
Old 08-21-11, 04:07 PM
Bigzavs
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any guys that have done this and are running an AEM, could I possibly see your calibration files? Buddy that is setting my car up hasnt ever tried the 7M CPS, hes always used the stock distributor for the signal. Hed like to compare what he has loaded into my ecu, compared to what is loaded on a running calibration with this setup.

Any help would be greatly appreciated guys! We're trying to get it running and driving tomorrow so I can get around for a lil while before the next round of mods and tuning.
Old 08-22-11, 12:13 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

if you have the coilpacks running on the stock distributor you have most likely already changed the ignition phasing for cylinder 1 to 21.53 (important). If not do so immediately.

Once you have the coils running, the only settings you need to change when swapping the 2j dizzy for the 7M CPS is set cam/crank sensitivity high and low to 6000 rpm's (like the 7m-gte cal file has). do that for all 4 boxes and your car will run great when you swap out the 7m CPS as long as you match the wires up right. be sure to sync timing in the aem software after the swap. the sensor setup between the 2 is almost identical just the sensitivities are different, so not much change is needed really.
Attached Thumbnails Distributor Delete Pics w/ 7m-gte CPS / vvti Coilpacks-cam-crank-settings.jpg  

Last edited by Ali SC3; 08-22-11 at 12:26 PM.
Old 08-22-11, 12:33 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by YeA 2jZ
Dude just get a FFIM..... Nike : JUST DO IT
I Finally Did It!!!!! I made my own FFIM and the engine bay looks even better now, just need to shine everything up still and tuck/reroute some of the extra wires (like run map sensor wires around back of engine instead of next to CPS), and all the extra plugs im not using around the intake area anymore like cruise, old coil wires, etc..
But I am seriously loving this na-t setup now!! coilpacks still running strong haven't skipped a beat.
Car pulls crazy hard need to readjust the boost controller settings in the aem but thats easy.
thinking about making a custom plug cover maybe out of billet aluminum or something like that.

Just so its on track and CPS related, another shot of the intake pipe clearance

Last edited by Ali SC3; 08-22-11 at 12:42 PM.
Old 08-22-11, 01:19 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ali i am jealous haha looks great bro, i gave up on my intake i am thinking about this
http://swiftracing.com/SRT/item.aspx?id=26
You just need to clean the wires a little.

Now that i need the 7M CPS i can't find one for sale i was going to get one from my job but i just can't justify spending that kind of money on a New one i would rather install my gte head.
Your car is really coming along nicely ...
Old 08-22-11, 04:23 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Thanks man, I am not a fan of the angle of the throttle body on the srt one it looks like it would shove more air into the first 2 runners. maybe if they could made it straight that would be pretty nice. Straight tb and you wont need to move the battery, just the PS reservoir.
I may be making a few more of these intakes, but I know how you feel about the bolt on design.

Im sure you can find a CPS just post a wtb on supraforums that how I found mine, but they are getting harder these days.
alot of mk3 parts show up on craigslist also.
Old 08-26-11, 07:05 PM
SOLID300
Pole Position

So I have been searching for a 7m CPS for the last few days and it seems that older camry's uses the same CPS. If your looking for a used one this gives you more options.

OEM Part number for CPS : 19300-42010

Link showing vehicle applications : http://www.toyotapartszone.com/oem/t...300-42010.html

I also found a seal repair kit for the CPS. If you find one leaking for a cheap price this may be something to consider. http://www.kbox.ca/catalog/popup_image.php/pID/252
Old 08-26-11, 08:58 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

that web site lists the camry as compatible for almost every toyota part there is, I wouldn't go based off that website. I think those years camry had a distributor anyways.
Old 08-26-11, 09:01 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Good thread. Those GE distributors are horrible...
Old 08-29-11, 08:24 AM
SOLID300
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
that web site lists the camry as compatible for almost every toyota part there is, I wouldn't go based off that website. I think those years camry had a distributor anyways.
I think you are right about that. i called a napa auto store and had them cross reference the oem part number and it only listed a supra. I did this after going to a junk yard and tried pulling one out. Ah well.
Old 06-22-12, 08:33 PM
XplicitlyR
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Help!! I have a V2 EMS and need help setting it up for the coils and CPS. Everything is installed but the screen shots and steps given for V1 don't make sence.

Thanks in advanced.
Old 07-05-12, 08:24 PM
SOLID300
Pole Position

Originally Posted by XplicitlyR
Help!! I have a V2 EMS and need help setting it up for the coils and CPS. Everything is installed but the screen shots and steps given for V1 don't make sence.

Thanks in advanced.
Wondering how to set it up for mine as well. V2 N/A box 30-6101. Anyone know what should be done differently?
Old 07-06-12, 04:24 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^^^ It's the same scenario , last time i checked! You just have to change the settings that Ali posted above. And synch the timing.

More Na-t with this setup ! I love it when i see alot of people are taking this route ..

gl
Old 07-30-12, 03:49 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

on the v2 they changed the way you turn on and off the coils.

They have coils 1-6 and for each number there are A and B coils.
In the supra TT file, notice there are values for 1-6 but nothing for the B's because TT uses sequential ignition.

with the vvti setup it uses waste spark so we have 3 coils that fire twice, so instead of thinking of it as 1-6, the AEM V2 thinks of it as 1-3A and 1-3B.

so you need to turn off coils 4-6, but we will borrow their values and move them to the right spots.

Since 1 and 6 are paired cylinders, we turn off 6 and turn on 1B and put the values for 6 into the 1B box.
repeat for 2 and 5, you would turn off 5 and turn on 2b and move the number over again.
repeat for 3 and 4, turn off 4 and turn on 3b and move the number over again.

I dont have the software in front of me right now so all of this is off memory, be sure to take a look at the n/a cal file and the TT cal file and you should see what I talking about with the "A" and "B" coils.

for the 7m cps I have no idea what numbers need to be changed on the v2. The base of the stock distributor works fine though so its not an essential element.
Old 07-30-12, 04:22 PM
lfrers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You da man Ali. Thanks

Quick Reply: Distributor Delete Pics w/ 7m-gte CPS / vvti Coilpacks