Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

98 SC400 Fuel pipe replace

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-10, 03:35 PM
icy_SC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 SC400 Fuel pipe replace

Greetings!

Found my 1998 SC400 to be leaking fuel from what the dealer calls the "Fuel Pipe". This piece comes off the fuel Feed on the driver side and connects to the fuel rails on both sides of the engine. Has anyone ever replaced this piece and perhaps can give me some pointers as to what absolutely has to e removed to replace this? From what I can tell I have to disconnect the battery and let the car sit for a while to bleed off the fuel pressure. Then I can disconnect the pipe at the fuel feed and then loosen bolt looking things that connect to the fuel rail and disconnect the one bolt holding the pipe to the back of the engine.

THANK YOU!
Old 12-02-10, 03:52 AM
ttsukamoto
Rookie

I found that loosening the fuel cap can aid in relieving the pressure in the fuel system. Also remember to use flare nut wrenches to avoid slippage/rounding when loosening the nuts, and use metal new washers (they're inexpensive and its a good time to exchange them-especially if you're experiencing leaks) Good luck.
Old 12-17-10, 08:40 PM
icy_SC
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the tips! Now did you ever actually remove the fuel pipe? I am having trouble snaking it out of its location. Any advice would be most appreciated.
Thank you!
Old 12-19-10, 02:32 PM
icy_SC
Driver School Candidate

Tools that make this a lot easier: #8 Fuel fitting wrench (red), 10mm closed end offset wrench (for the bolt holding the fuel pipe to the back of the intake. VERY difficult to remove), 22mm open end wrench (where fuel pipe meets fuel rail), 22mm crows foot, 18" bolt cutters,

Solved! After talking to the dealership I felt like there was no hope and that I would HAVE to bring it to the dealership to replace the fuel pipe (bank$$$). Basically, the service manager told me I have to remove the entire intake as one piece (not the upper and lower separately) to remove the fuel pipe. After staring at my problem for what felt like hours I had a great idea! I thought why not just cut the passenger side of the fuel pipe off since I am replacing the whole assembly anyways? I proceeded to grab some 18" bolt cutters and cut the passenger side off. I was then able to snake the rest of the fuel pipe out through the driver side. Now for fun part, installing the new fuel pipe. I had to drain the tranny fluid, why? Because there is a hose fitting RIGHT next to the passenger side fuel rail connection. I found that removing this hose fitting is the ONLY way to get the new fuel pipe in without bending it. Drain the tranny fluid out (mine drained out 4 quarts NOT 2 like they say) then disconnect that hose fitting at the passenger side fuel rail junction. Now that you have everything out of the way, grab your brand new fuel pipe and snake in from the driver side going UNDER the harness and hose assembly. Pass the leading edge of the fuel pipe over the back part of the intake and then rest it on the intake. Make sure it is loose and free of snags on the drivers side. Move over to the passenger side and begin working it down between the very back of the intake and all of the crap that is back there! lol. Now take a look at that tranny hose fitting that you removed earlier. When you slide the fuel pipe down and around the back of the intake, you will let it land on the WRONG side of the tranny fitting that you removed. I had to rotate mine back and forth to get it to slide down behind the intake. Now you will have to rotate the fuel pipe forward while sliding it OVER the tranny fitting (this is why you had to drain the fluid and remove that hose). Making sure the pipe doesn't bind on both sides, you should be able to get it in there. Once you have worked it in there the retaining bolt in the back of the intake should line up as should the fuel rail connectors. Make sure your install your NEW metal washers on both sides and tighten everything up. The red #8 fuel fitting wrench is huge here because it is short and fits in tiny places. Once I had it all back together and added tranny fluid, I connected the battery and primed the fuel system a bunch of times by turning the ignition on and off a bunch WITHOUT starting the car. BEFORE starting the car I checked a bunch of times for fuel leaks. When I felt confident that there were none I started the car for a minute then checked for leaks.

So I hope this helps someone from removing the intake! Turned out my fuel pipe was leaking at the hose junction so watch for that!

Cheers fellas!