Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

OEM or probe pistons for rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-10, 06:11 AM
scmissle
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM or probe pistons for rebuild

Ordering pistons this weekend for my rebuild I will be doing in the spring. The maximum power I want to see ever is 700, and that wont be a few more years, focusing on other things first. How ever I do want the RPM'S to be raised up, trying to eventually get a competitive street class time attack car. I have seen OEM TT Supra pistons hit over the 1000HP mark and be revved to 8500 RPM without grenading, but i was still thinking something forged especially as this will be a track car. A buddy of mine who is an engine builder, recommended getting a set of probe pistons. He uses them in his Mustang and he's over the 800HP and 8000RPM mark in a for 302 so they must be good. I have heard nothing but good things from muscle car guys, but how about sport compact. give me some opinions please
Old 11-24-10, 06:34 AM
Klaus
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Never heard of them. I'd stick with OEM, for a frequently driven car the TT piston will be a good reliable bet at the power level and you won't really see a benefit to the forged pistons and they can be kind of finicky. Spend the money on upgraded rods
Old 11-24-10, 07:04 AM
SChema
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Something that works for one car may not work for another. There are plenty of tried and true options for the 2J such as CP and several others. As for rods, Carillo, Pauter, etc... Look around on SF and I'm sure you'll find an answer.

Yes stock short block has seen over 1000 but for how long is the thing?

Higher revs is not necessarily the shortblock, you need to think about the head. I personally know of two cars over 1000 to the wheels revving to 9000+, build heads of course.
Old 11-24-10, 07:15 AM
Klaus
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Missed that this was going to be a track car somehow haha.

Also 3rotor's point is dead on. For instance Eagles are all the rage in the domestic world, but for whatever reason they have proven to be crap for the supra and a few other platforms.

Alright so you want to be able to peg it into the red all day and be happy. A lightweight rotating assembly will significantly help response in the RPM range as well as reduce strain on the drive train. So yes, CP pistons would be a great bet if we're talking track car. Then polish and knife edge the crank and go with some decent H beam rods. From there it's all in the head to be able to flow enough air to support those RPMs. For 8500 and under, you can go with a single valve spring- crower works well. But if you want to get into the 9k range I don't know of anybody that's done it without ferrea and using dual valve springs. Also your cams are important, and the GSCs have been being used with great results over HKS, BC, and others. Look them up, and check out the S1s

FYI if you do this right....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lch_exQJPzc