Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Water leak/rear carpet getting wet...

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-10, 10:55 PM
gnguru
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Water leak/rear carpet getting wet...

Not sure this is the right place to put this but I'll try it. When it rains the rear floor board carpet on both sides on my '92 SC 400 gets wet. It seems to come from the small vent that is under each of the front seats. I think fresh air enters thru the cowling under the windshield (and water when it rains) and it probably has some sort of drain down below that is plugged up but I can't seem to locate anything. Has anyone else had this problem and can you help me with a solution (besides putting the car in the garage - garage is already full) LOL. Thanks
Old 11-18-10, 06:36 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sunroof drain tubes. I know there is a diy on how to clean them somewhere. Check the DIY thread and see if its there, I know this has been covered before, so just search and you find the answer.
Old 11-18-10, 11:21 AM
gnguru
Rookie

Well, I did a search using all sorts of words like "sunroof, moonroof, drains, tubes, lines, etc etc and didn't turn up anything. I never thought of that being the problem but I do have the Service Tech Manuals so I'll take a look at those and see if I can find something. Thanks for your input.
Old 11-18-10, 05:10 PM
gnguru
Rookie

Default Tech manuals show zilch

Tech manuals don't even show the sunroof drains in their pics. I looked at moonroof with it open and don't see any drains whatsoever so they must be under the rear portion of the opening. So now I'm back to point A. Anyone else have any ideas?????????

PS: there are no signs of water on my headliner at all and I would think if the drains were plugged I would see water on the headliner.
Old 11-18-10, 05:31 PM
SW2UZ
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

have you checked under the car to make sure all the plugs/grommit things are still there?

on a side note good thing I saw this thread since I had forgotten about finding a replacement plug and it's gonna rain this weekend
Old 11-18-10, 09:11 PM
FireCode
Lexus Test Driver

Man your search skills need work lol I typed in "sunroof drain" and BAM https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...ear-floor.html

click the leak, follow the lexownersclub link inside. You are welcome I accept paypal, money order, check, beer...
Old 11-18-10, 09:45 PM
gnguru
Rookie

Originally Posted by SW2UZ
have you checked under the car to make sure all the plugs/grommit things are still there?

on a side note good thing I saw this thread since I had forgotten about finding a replacement plug and it's gonna rain this weekend
I don't think missing plugs would matter. The water is coming in when it rains and not by a flood (leaking while parked and not while being driven). Missing plugs would just make the water go out faster.
Old 11-18-10, 09:57 PM
gnguru
Rookie

Default Checked out FireCode's link

Okay, I went to the link furnished by FireCode - TYVM -(BTW I had your beer here for you and you didn't show up so I drank it myself - didn't want it to get warm LOL). Anyway I found the two drain holes and tried to insert weed wacker line but it only went in a couple of inches and jammed up. Tried twisting it at different angles but no go. Does anyone know where the drains exit under the car? Thought maybe I could go from the bottom up with the weed wacker line. Kind of afraid to use the compressed air as I don't want to damage or dislodge the drain lines like someone said could happen. Guess I could put alittle water in the drain hole and watch under the car for a drip........but then it may all just go into my rear carpet. Any ideas anyone???
Old 11-18-10, 11:40 PM
Photon440
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Keep trying with the week wacker line, but put it in a drill so it spins as you insert it.
Old 11-19-10, 09:03 PM
FireCode
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gnguru
Okay, I went to the link furnished by FireCode - TYVM -(BTW I had your beer here for you and you didn't show up so I drank it myself - didn't want it to get warm LOL). Anyway I found the two drain holes and tried to insert weed wacker line but it only went in a couple of inches and jammed up. Tried twisting it at different angles but no go. Does anyone know where the drains exit under the car? Thought maybe I could go from the bottom up with the weed wacker line. Kind of afraid to use the compressed air as I don't want to damage or dislodge the drain lines like someone said could happen. Guess I could put alittle water in the drain hole and watch under the car for a drip........but then it may all just go into my rear carpet. Any ideas anyone???
haha you're welcome man! Hope that beer was a good one...I was looking forward to kicking back Sunday, watching the game, and drinking a beer!
Old 11-19-10, 10:00 PM
Trevstuh
Lexus Test Driver

Have you removed your carpet for anything like running wires? I did that and didn't place it back right and water would leak on the driver side. I would try that bro!
Old 11-19-10, 10:53 PM
gnguru
Rookie

Default Here's the latest progress

Originally Posted by Trevstuh
Have you removed your carpet for anything like running wires? I did that and didn't place it back right and water would leak on the driver side. I would try that bro!
Wow, I don't see how taking the carpet out and not putting it back correctly would cause a water leak. Anyway, the car has had numerous wiring done as it had an alarm system installed (with speakers under the hood that talk), remote start installed and intellitrac installed (original OnStar back in the '90's), and a built-in telephone with hands free mic behind rear view mirror but all that was done in the 90's and it just started the water problem in the last year or so. I managed to get a small wire down the driver's side drain hole but I could only get it down to about the door hinge area. Never got the weed wacker line in either side so I finally resorted to the compressed air scenario. After the air injection, I poured water into the drain holes at the moonroof and could see it coming out under the car about one foot behind the front wheel on each side. It's raining outside now so we'll see what happens. I'm still not 100% sure this was my original problem as I don't see how the clogged lines at the front windshield pillars would cause the back floorboard carpet to get wet. The front never gets wet, just the rear. I'll let ya all know. Thanks for e1's help.

Last edited by gnguru; 11-19-10 at 10:56 PM.
Old 11-22-10, 04:21 AM
V8KLLA
Driver

Please let us know about this as I have the same problem and can't figure it out. Thanks.
Old 01-30-11, 04:39 PM
SCRob
Driver School Candidate

Does anyone know where the front sunroof drains are supposed to drain under the car?

I was able to see tubes where the water drains from back drains but when I poor water down the front drains it just drips under the car (on both sides) from a about a 5 inch section of metal, and it just doesn't look correct.

thanks,
robbie d.