Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

KAAZ LSD for SC400 questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-10, 07:23 AM
Boergy
Advanced

Received 133 Likes on 70 Posts
Default KAAZ LSD for SC400 questions

Hello!

I have seen 2 different KAAZ LSD 2-Way for the SC400:

(91 and up) Lexus SC400 AT, Rear, Open, 2 Way)
(91 and up) Lexus SC400 AT, Rear, Torsen, 2 Way) T3 Exchange

Have any a idea what is the different?

I Have a friend with a KAAZ 2-way in his Lexus IS200 Supercharged, but the LSD is very loud! A other friend have a IS300 Turbo with a OS-Giken 2-Way and have not this *tonktonktonk* from the LSD

Here a Video from last weekend on the raceway. You can hear on the beginning of the video the LSD. Is this also by the SC400 with the KAAZ? Its not funny to drive on road with this! ( a other IS200 supercharged have the 2-way LSD from TRD, is the same sound)

Video IS200 with KAAZ 2-WAY LSD

Thanks for your informations!

greets

Tom
Old 11-10-10, 11:20 AM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

one is a torsen and one is a open diff it says so right in the description.

Kaaz Generally will always clunk like that but if you remove some of the preload on the clutch disks you should be able to get it to quiet down.
Old 11-10-10, 11:48 AM
Boergy
Advanced

HY!

Thanks for answer! A friend have a 1,5way LSD from KAAZ in his MR2 SW20 and no noise.
Which LSD is the best for the SC400 to drive a little bit track (like the video) and normal road? The Torsen from the Supra or better the KAAZ 2Way or the OS Giken 1,5Way?

greets

Tom
Old 11-11-10, 01:53 PM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

OS giken will not clunk and is a over all better product than a kaaz but for you a torsen will be best. a Kaaz/ clutch type will require the diff fluid be changed more often where as a torsen will be a regular fluid change. Plus the torsen is supposed to hold more power.
Old 11-12-10, 11:59 AM
Boergy
Advanced

HY!

Thanks for the answer!

I will look in the winter for a Supra LSD Unit to install in my Diff-housing

greets

Tom
Old 11-12-10, 05:30 PM
lfrers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is some info for ya then. I bumped into it because I thought I must have damaged my LSD when 1 wheel kept spinning when I got the car hi-centered. But this article explains why the torsion LSD does that.

Torsen LSD vs TRD LSD

The Torsen diff is a standard fitment to all 6 speed mkiv's, alot of the Auto TT's and you'll even occasionally find it on a NA. You can tell if your Supra has a Torsen diff by reading the Trans/Axle code on the Engine Tag which is situated under your bonnet. The last letter of the 4 character code (eg. B03B) denotes the diff type which is "A" for a std diff and "B" for a Torsen diff. The crown wheel on the B series is 220mm whilst on the A series it's 200mm.

The Torsen (TORque SENsing) LSD (Limited Slip Diff) works quite differently to the TRD LSD. The Torsen is a Torque Multipling type of diff with a multiplication ratio of around 5:1. What this means is that whatever torque can be sent to the wheel with the least traction, it can send up to 5 times that torque to the wheel with the most traction. Its biggest advantage is that it can do this extremely quickly and doesn't ever lockup the ratio, but is continuously "sensing" and adjusting the torque between the two wheels. Its only real disadvantage is that when one wheel has no torque available (say it spinning in mud), then 5 times nothing is still no torque to the other wheel, so you can get stuck just like a std diff. Once the car is moving however this cannot happen.

The TRD LSD is a standard type LSD in that it uses clutch packs to transfer torque from one wheel to the other. Transferring torque via clutch packs will be a slower process then the Torsen transfer method and it will absorb more energy from the engine when doing so. However we are probably only talking a few hundreds of a second difference here and maybe a few hp. The main disadvantage of the TRD diff is that it can "lockup" the ratio between the two wheels at 1:1. This means both wheels will then turn at the same speed and if this happens on a corner, it would be exciting at the very least. This "lockup" is also its only advantage over the Torsen diff as even when one wheel is in the mud, the other wheel can provide traction to pull you out.

My personal preference is for the Torsen diff as it usually comes free with the car, reacts quicker and aborbs less power and will never accidentally lockup.