Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Cold start rattle

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-10, 01:12 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Cold start rattle

My old GE motor did this, and so does my GTE. When I start it for the first time each day, the SC will clatter briefly(approx 1/2 sec or less). It sounds like a diesel to be honest. I used to drive an 04 Jetta GLI with a 1.8T and it did the same thing.

Anywho, I wonder if anyone else has this, or are my rods about to make windows in my block? Once the oil light goes off it shuts up, but I do wonder if this is a classic sign of impending failure with theses motors, or just something high mile examples do.

FWIW, the motor runs great, boosts great, and is very silent except for the initial start of the day. Once you start it one time, all subsequent starts are quiet and uneventful.

I heard something about oil filters and their check valves being sucky, which allows all the oil to drain back to the pan overnight causing cold start starvation. Any insight on this? I run a vanilla Purolater filter if that helps.

TIA
Old 11-08-10, 02:22 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stockhatch
My old GE motor did this, and so does my GTE. When I start it for the first time each day, the SC will clatter briefly(approx 1/2 sec or less) (THIS IS TYPICAL). It sounds like a diesel to be honest. I used to drive an 04 Jetta GLI with a 1.8T and it did the same thing.

Anywho, I wonder if anyone else has this, or are my rods about to make windows in my block?(I DOUBT IT) Once the oil light goes off it shuts up, but I do wonder if this is a classic sign of impending failure with theses motors (MUCH LESS THIS), or just something high mile examples do (MORE MORE LIKE THIS).

FWIW, the motor runs great, boosts great, and is very silent except for the initial start of the day. Once you start it one time, all subsequent starts are quiet and uneventful.

I heard something about oil filters and their check valves being sucky, which allows all the oil to drain back to the pan overnight causing cold start starvation. Any insight on this? (THAT'S NOT WHAT DOES IT. YOUR OIL DRAINS REGARDLESS) I run a vanilla Purolater filter if that helps (NO, IT DOESN'T. GET A DECENT FILTER! ).

TIA
see comments within

Wix, Napa Gold, Mobil1, Amsoil, etc . . . . .but no FRAM or Purolator "vanilla" filters, PLEASE!

$.02
Old 11-08-10, 02:32 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Hmmm, so filter check valves wont effect it at all? I will look into another filter. I assume you dont like the Purolator filter based on its actual filtration and bypass qualities?

At any rate, I guess it's good to hear that it is typical. You don't see many threads with people complaining of the noise.
Old 11-08-10, 02:36 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Just FYI, this is where I read about the filter possibly being the issue...

http://www.supramania.com/forums/sho...t-cold-startup
Old 11-08-10, 04:41 PM
JOHIII
Driver School Candidate

My car does the same thing now that it is colder. It's only for a half second or less and it's only the first startup of the day. I read another topic here that said it's just too much RPM too soon. I've got a Toyota filter on mine.
Old 11-08-10, 07:05 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by stockhatch
Just FYI, this is where I read about the filter possibly being the issue...

http://www.supramania.com/forums/sho...t-cold-startup
Funny they mention the WIX though, because I've been using them for some time now and it made absolutely no difference. Seriously, I doubt there's an oil filter out there that would hold oil for an extended period of time. Google it, you will see comments on nearly every forum for every make and model of car. It's just a factor of wear and lack of oil pressure at the instant of startup. If you are worried about it and want to sacrifice your starter/battery, you could rig up an ignition/fuel defeat switch and let the starter run a while to pump up some oil pressure before flipping the switch and letting the engine fire up; but seriously...who does that?
Old 11-08-10, 08:44 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

do u guys mind sharing your mileage on your engines-----just curious is all-----i wouldnt expect5 this sort of thing from a lower mileage engine --im assuming your are on the high side---thanks
Old 11-08-10, 09:15 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1

do u guys mind sharing your mileage on your engines...

How dare you! That's highly personal information.

j/k 130K
Old 11-08-10, 11:15 PM
LEX_MAN
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine does it too, i got 250xxx miles.
Old 11-09-10, 04:09 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

relax

it just the wrist pin making that noise until it gets proper oil up there .. not causing any damage .. if you use a syn oil like mobil 1 it tends to leave a thin oil film on the wrist pin and tends to quiet it down or eliminate it all together
Old 11-09-10, 06:11 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Mine supposedly has 100k MILES on it according to JHot. That is a lot of miles for a JDM engine, but overall it seems healthy. I run Mobile 1 10-W30. I'm not too worried about it since it goes away pretty much immediately. Just curious if others have the issue too since you don't really see many threads addressing it.
Old 11-09-10, 08:16 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

In my tuning adventures I found my car making that noise in cold weather first starts when there wasn't enough start up fuel during cranking (cold start injector duration) or immediately following cranking (start up fuel to stabilize idle). making the mixture a little richer during the whole start up process got rid of the noise completely for me, but i doubt you can do that with the stock ecu. I tried 5w30 and 10w30 full synthetic didn't make much a difference except change the tone a little maybe. I have no noise even when my little oil light decides to stay on for a couple seconds towards the end of an oil change period. before i adjusted the fuel last winter I thought my engine was going to rattle itself apart during cold starts. every other start the rest of the day never made a noise.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 11-09-10 at 08:21 AM.
Old 11-12-10, 08:19 AM
JOHIII
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
do u guys mind sharing your mileage on your engines-----just curious is all-----i wouldnt expect5 this sort of thing from a lower mileage engine --im assuming your are on the high side---thanks

150K on mine. 5W-30.
Old 11-13-10, 09:11 AM
JDMSoarer5
Rookie

192K on mine. Castrol Edge 5W-30