Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

catalytic converter delete

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-10, 08:23 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by lslade
I kind of figured the power gains would be minimal if any, I was mainly looking for a cheap way to test the clogged cat theory.

Is it just me or does this dohc v8 seem way underpowered considering the other rockers toyota was building at that time? You'd think it would make 300 hp very easily (oh right, turbos).

I definitely can't complain about how smooth it is and the exhaust note is nice.
u know i hear quite a bit of people complaining about the lack of power on the stock v8-----either you guys are speed demons that are used to owning super fast high powered cars---or something is wrong with your engines-----need tune up or whatever----because my car has plenty of power------it is said to havbe 250 hp and i believe every word of it----im pleased with my engine completely------i really have no desire at this point to go turbo or supercharged---at one point i was but not anymore.

I think these cars and all cars lose power over their lifespan----im gonna make an assumption and say your engine probably has very high mileage.
Old 10-28-10, 06:59 PM
Meanshyguy
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What could be the factor on not seeing noticeable power gains from no cats and bigger exhausts compared to a 4 cyl Honda? I own a Honda and I can tell the difference and there's even dyno sheets online where even a 3" exhaust on an NA and Turbo motor makes the most power, so what's wrong with the SC400 that seems to not gain much power.
Old 11-01-10, 10:20 AM
MMCtuner
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe there are not noticeable gains, but there are for sure if you do it right.
It´s well known that the sc´s have very restrictive exhausts.
Old 11-01-10, 11:14 AM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I belive my cat just died. Had a cat CEL that would turn on and off for a few weeks, now the CEL just remains on.
My mechanic told me replacing it would be pretty expensive. What are my options?
- Un-clog the cat? I dont even know if that doable.
- Aftermarket cat?
- Used cat?
- New cat?
- Ive also been contemplating doing a full exhaust. Would this be a good time to do it? (was gonna wait till the summer to do it, but if fixing the cat is gonna cost me half the price of a new set-up I might as well do it now).
Old 11-01-10, 02:24 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by scENFORCER
I belive my cat just died. Had a cat CEL that would turn on and off for a few weeks, now the CEL just remains on.
My mechanic told me replacing it would be pretty expensive. What are my options?
- Un-clog the cat? I dont even know if that doable.
- Aftermarket cat?
- Used cat?
- New cat?
- Ive also been contemplating doing a full exhaust. Would this be a good time to do it? (was gonna wait till the summer to do it, but if fixing the cat is gonna cost me half the price of a new set-up I might as well do it now).
hey scenforcer i would try gutting the problem cat and see what happens from there-------try cutting the bottom off of the problem cat and rip out all the insides than weld the hole closed again and see what happens --im sure this is cheaper than a new cat and it just might be a better result in the end

I have not tried this myself so please to some research before actually dsoing it---there may be a reason not to that im not aware of
Old 11-03-10, 08:42 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
mmmmmm-----im wondering if it is due to the cat that your car is blowing blue smoke----I dont think so though-----cutting one cat wont do anything for air flow and if cutting the rest causes the car to run differently(negatively) than it isnt worth it.

Thanks kira
I don't know either. I'm hoping it's not something serious that's causing the blue smoke. It didn't shoot out smoke before.

You're welcome.
Old 11-25-10, 01:12 AM
norcal2jz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so deleting resonators only increases sound?kinda like a cheap exhaust job
Old 11-25-10, 11:23 AM
JakeBreyck
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
u know i hear quite a bit of people complaining about the lack of power on the stock v8-----either you guys are speed demons that are used to owning super fast high powered cars---or something is wrong with your engines-----need tune up or whatever----because my car has plenty of power------it is said to havbe 250 hp and i believe every word of it----im pleased with my engine completely------i really have no desire at this point to go turbo or supercharged---at one point i was but not anymore.

I think these cars and all cars lose power over their lifespan----im gonna make an assumption and say your engine probably has very high mileage.
Or they are still rocking the stock automatic that is holding the motor back more then anything else.
Old 11-25-10, 12:09 PM
t70 supra
Lexus Champion

if is pre 95 here nothing illegal
Old 11-25-10, 12:10 PM
t70 supra
Lexus Champion

i think u can get sard high flow cats doesnt alga have catz
Old 01-04-11, 07:25 PM
1997Soarer
Instructor

Received 148 Likes on 117 Posts

For SC300:

Front pipe
HKS - 75mm
Kakimoto - 80mm
Blitz 80mm

These do NOT have bungs for 02 sensor, so if you are OBDII you will need a simulator of some sort.