Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Trying to add a fuse (Help please) ...

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-10, 02:02 PM
sicwhip
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to add a fuse (Help please) ...

I have tried searching but could not find anything related to what I am trying to accomplish ...

I want to add two fuses in the engine bay for twin electric fans ... the fuse block has two empty sockets ... I was able to get the unit apart and look underneath ...

I need to know :
What types of ends do I need to add to my wires so they will clip into the sockets and hold a fuse ?

Are they just regular female spades? If so are they a specific size / guage ?

Some of the other empty sockets have what looks like a clip on one side but not the other ... The empty sockets I intend to use are at the bottom right of the fuse diagram on the inside of the cover ... I could just stash a couple of fuse holders in the box but I want to make it look like a factory install ... thus the reason I want to use the empty holders ...

Any Help would be greatly appreciated ... Thanx in advance ...

Last edited by sicwhip; 10-26-10 at 09:20 PM.
Old 10-26-10, 04:14 PM
sicwhip
Driver School Candidate

Anyone ? ...
Old 10-27-10, 05:17 PM
sicwhip
Driver School Candidate

Still looking for help ... Anyone ? ...
Old 10-27-10, 08:03 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

I would look at some threads where people install electric fans on their SC, maybe PM them as to how they did it. Honestly, I wouldn't go kicking around inside that fuse/relay box.
Old 10-27-10, 08:33 PM
sicwhip
Driver School Candidate

Thanx ... I got the wires ready to go today ... I think I am just going to use some female spades and stuff them into the empty sockets ... got 2 free why not use them ...

I looked at most of the threads that involved electric fan installs and got some ideas from those on where to connect for the 12v src & clutch fan on signal ... But did not see anything on adding a fuse in the fuse box ... I could have just cheaped out and used the inline types but am shooting for a cleaner look and want it to appear like a factory install ...

When all is said and done I will try and upload a DIY with some pics I have (If I can ever figure out how to do the pictures thing) ... =) ...

Thanx for your reply ...
Old 10-28-10, 05:46 AM
T4-Teg
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can probably buy the correct pins from Dr. Tweak (phoenixtuning.com) or (Tweakdperformance.com) however I've used regular femal spade connectors for adding fuses and have had zero problems.

I have not tried this, but you may try buying a seperate inline "fuse holder" and try removing the connectors from that? IDK, sounds like it could work..

Either way to answer your questions, female spade connectors will work. Just please make sure to solder, heat shrink, and tape up all your wiring. Your fuse box in the engine bay will work fine, becuase you can tap one side directly to battery power right under the fuse panal, then you can run hidden wires from there to the fans, and it should look pretty good!
Old 10-28-10, 10:50 AM
sicwhip
Driver School Candidate

T4-Teg ... Thanx ... precisely what I thought ...

LOL ... I did disassemble two of my inline fuse holder ... one was a clip style that would work but the metal was kind of long ... so was concerned with it sticking out on the bottom ... The other was just like my female spade with a 90 degreee connect so wire would not be coming out of the bottom ... so thats why I just opted to go with the regulare female spades ... I just pulled the blue covers off ...

The only question I still have is :
When using the regular spade connects what will hold them down in the sockets ? ... seems like my other clips had some prongs on them to keep them from pulling out when you pull the fuse ...

Thanx for the advice on electrical work ... I am definitely very comfortable with all things electronic ... and did solder, heat shrink & tape all wiring ... Even bought a 6 plug male / female connect from Radio Shack for the fan wires / temp sensor so I can remove these things easily if I decide to do work on the car or replace them with upgrades at a later date ...
Old 10-28-10, 08:54 PM
sicwhip
Driver School Candidate

** UPDATE **

I just got done with the wiring in the fuse box ... I found that the female spades are a little big for fitting in the location I was using ... I was able to jam them down there without breaking anything ... but would probably like to actually find the clips designed to fit in there some time ...