Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

A/C Questions and Answers

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-02, 07:09 PM
kathleenkmh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don't know if this is the right place to post...but have a/c problem

Have 1993 SC300. My a/c started blowing warm air during a long distance trip. I took it to a heat/aircondition shop. This was the outcome: "Inspect pressure and found that system has enough freon to engage teh compressor but it will not. We have inspected for codes, Code 21 store (solar sensor). Inspected fuses they were okay. Cleared code, but it reset right away. We have checked AC relay and have found that it will supply voltage to AC for approx 2 seconds, then will turn off. System will shut down power to AC clutch if it does not get an ac compressor RPM signal"

Now...the solution to this (I was just faxed the estimate) is to remove and replace the AC compressor and AC relay. The compressor is $884 (parts) and the relay is $110. I am not a mechanic, so I have no way to assess this, but it seems to me that the problem is in the AC relay... why would the whole compressor need to be replaced? Any advice/explanation would be helpful. Thank you.
Old 07-25-02, 08:33 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

First, you should take it to another mechanic like AAA service center for a 2nd opinion. Then take it to Lexus and pay them the $50 or so to diagnosis the issue.

If you really trust this shop it is at then you should feel confident that they will swap the A/C relay and see if that fixes the issue. If it doesn't they should swap the compressor, check the belt tension, and then attempt to use the old relay.

That is a good mechanic if they can troubleshoot better.

MW
Old 07-25-02, 09:36 PM
kathleenkmh
Driver School Candidate

Thanks... I'll take both those suggestions. I don't know the shop, but chose them (my own mechanic doesn't do a/c) because they were AAA approved; but like you, I thought it strange they were talking about replacing the compressor right off, rather than trying the a/c relay. and, as a woman, I'm not always sure a mechanic is being straight up with me.

Thank you again.
Old 07-25-02, 10:12 PM
Camshaft
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have seen it time and time again, where mechanics will treat women completely different. However, they treat guys the same way too. When someone comes up to you, you can tell that they have no idea on what is going on usually. Sooo, they rip them off. Or, they sell cheap stuff to clear the shelf for something else.

BTW, its not everyday you see a woman driving a Lexus SC3 stick....
Old 07-25-02, 10:14 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

No Problem.

Kathleen,

You may want to see the Lexus parts department for REAL prices too.

Air Conditioner & Heater, Condenser, Compressor & Lines, Compressor Retail $482.90 Discounted $386.32

I couldn't find the other part.

I think it is cheap thou.

MW
Old 07-25-02, 10:32 PM
kathleenkmh
Driver School Candidate

You guys are great! I knew i could get some help by turning to other Lexus lovers! ... and especially SC lovers! I am shocked at what you found about the parts, "pcmw" ... i will definitely be on the phone in the morning to check out the local dealership for parts prices.

and "camshaft" about THIS woman and her SC300 5 speed--I WANTED this car so badly... I've always driven a stick, but two years ago needed a new car, and was tired of always driving what was "practical" I decided to drive what I wanted. As you know, there weren't very many 5 speeds made in the SC, and I shopped for two and a half months, mostly online. I finally found it in Portland, oregon (I'm in oakland, california). I talked to the dealer on the phone, and then had a AAA approved inspection service go onsite and do an extensive inspection... they gave it a thumbs up, I ran CARFAX, and it all checked out... so i made a plane reservation, flew up... the salesman picked me up at the airport, i got my car, and took two days driving home down the coast... sunroof open, and Bob marley on the CD player... it was very sweet...and it performed like a dream. With the five speed you FEEL the car... I've been in love ever since! (I do wish the a/c had not gone defunct, though!)
Old 07-25-02, 10:41 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Kathleen,

Last note...

If you are in Oakland, you should talk to some of the bay area guys and get recommendations of where to take your car.

MadMaxSC400 is in the Bay area... and lex400sc is in pleasanton.

Good Luck

MW
Old 07-25-02, 10:44 PM
kathleenkmh
Driver School Candidate

Will do. Thanks!
Old 07-26-02, 04:24 AM
Camshaft
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know. A woman driving a stick SC3 is definatly a keeper!
Old 07-26-02, 02:24 PM
kathleenkmh
Driver School Candidate

And the SC's a keeper too!

UPDATE:
I was quoted $884 for the A/C compressor (part only-no labor)
and $110 for the A/C relay.

I just received a quote from Lexus of Pleasanton:
$502.90 + tax for the compressor
$42.46 + tax for the relay!

I am outraged... the shop I had gone to is AAA approved at that!!
MW, thanks so much for your heads-up about the prices. I have scheduled a diagnostic at AAA in SF next week.
Old 07-26-02, 04:47 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

WOW...

That is a big bummer. I cannot believe that they marked it up THAT MUCH. Most shops mark up the part 10% from what THEY pay for it. The price usually comes to a tad over/under retail from the dealer. not 40% higher than RETAIL. Not to mention that Pleasanton Lexus is not CHEAP either.

I would be pissed.

AAA Diagnostic Center will shoot you straight. The worst case scenario is to take the hour trip to Sac and take it to my mechanic. My mechanic only charges me for hours SPENT on the car, not book time or set charges.

MW
Old 07-26-02, 04:54 PM
kathleenkmh
Driver School Candidate

I will see what happens at AAA and then make some decisions. Actually, Sacramento wouldn't be all that bad, as my mom lives in Auburn and I need to get up there soon anyway. If I don't get some good recommendations for down here, I will definitely be asking for your mechanic! I did send messages to the two people you suggested, but haven't heard back yet.

All I can figure about the shop is that they saw woman and then woman with Lexus... and saw $$$$ ... I guess... that may be an unfair assumption, but then they set themselves up to viewed in that manner. Guess they didn't know about Club Lexus

Anyhow, I'll keep you posted.
Old 08-01-02, 11:27 AM
mazmaz1
Driver School Candidate

Default The AC Compressor on ebay is $100

The AC Compressor on ebay is $100
Old 08-06-02, 09:38 PM
DevilDog
Lead Lap

When the ac comp shuts down, does the ac light (in the button)inside start to flash?

Code 21 is normal because the car is not in the sun, try pulling codes with sun hitting the solar sensor. Code should go away.

The ac clutch is ok?
Old 08-08-02, 02:14 PM
kathleenkmh
Driver School Candidate

UPDATE:

To answer the last question... turns out the A/C clutch was burned out and the compressor frozen. After going to a useless diagnostic appt. w/AAA (usless in the sense that despite my SPECIFIC question about their diagnostic of A/C systems when making the appt., when I arrived I was informed that electrical and A/C are the only things they DO NOT check!), I did some research on CL; found that Lexus of Serramonte has high marks for service, and while I really want to know what's going on under the hood of my SC, I'm NOT a mechanic, so I'm somewhat limited in ability to do anything major myself.

Result: compressor was frozen and A/C clutch burned out. Which came first? They couldn't tell me. they fixed it, recharged it and put some dye through. The cost came within $100 of the first estimate, but the first guy blamed it on the A/C relay, and said nothing about the clutch. I feel much more comfortable with Lexus' assemsment and service...and since I took it in on Saturday, and they didn't get the parts until Tuesday, I had a free loaner car for 5 days. The part cost on the compressor was $507 vs. $884 from the first guy. Can't compare the clutch price, as he didn't even mention that.

Thanks for all the feedback... Girls are taught NOTHING about cars (at least under the hood), and as a grown woman in love with a 7 year old SC, I'm having to do a lot of catchup. This forum helps.

Quick Reply: A/C Questions and Answers