Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

10" Subwoofer install in stock location (PICS)

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-10, 02:16 PM
booga
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

P.R.S.22,

You should include the speaker replacement in your SC build thread.

Thank you for your response.

Originally Posted by P.R.S.22
There are two amps in the SC, one is underneath the cd changer and the other is underneath the rear speakers. You need to pull out the cover in the trunk of the car hiding the gas tank in order to see it but it should be there.

Can't remember which amp goes to the sub and which goes to the speakers but I'm sure you can test them to see if they are working properly or not.
Old 10-23-10, 03:17 PM
P.R.S.22
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by booga
P.R.S.22,

You should include the speaker replacement in your SC build thread.

Thank you for your response.
Your welcome Anytime. The only reason why I didn't really document my speaker replacement is because it has been covered multiple times and I didn't think anyone wanted to see it again.

If you are searching for pics of speaker replacement or the location of the amps search here in the SC section typing in "RAINE" and I believe he covered several topics on the audio of the SC in great detail.

If it does not come up in the SC section search in the audio/video section of CL and type in the same search. Let me know if you find it and if not I will look myself and dig it up for you
Old 10-28-10, 08:03 PM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Sorry guys, forgot this thread.

The sub is not a free air, but it is free air compatible since free resonance is 24.2 something hz and that makes this speaker sound great in a big enclosures.
You can hear the vocals clearly as well as nice guitar strings strumming. Its like a concert in my ride now.
Compared to a stock nak system, this blows it away! Now I have to watch not to blow my stock front speakers I get a lot of compliments from my friends on how good it sounds without a box in a back.
Old 01-07-12, 08:27 PM
SC'd SC400
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did this last month and love it! I have a Kicker 10" and love the way it hits.
Old 01-07-12, 09:38 PM
lmfod
Driver

What is everyone doing since the cover won't fit over aftermarket sub? Just reupholster that rear deck?
Old 01-08-12, 09:01 AM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lmfod
What is everyone doing since the cover won't fit over aftermarket sub? Just reupholster that rear deck?
There is a plastic ring that was included with the subwoofer that I used...
That's the reason it wouldn't fit, without it you shouldn't have any problems fitting your original cover.

Main reason the cover is not on there,
is because I like to see my sub work in my rear view
Old 01-08-12, 09:47 AM
92lexi
Rookie

Well i went out to see what was up with my stock sub (pioneer system) and the amp on the rear deck is for your reg speakers. And i notoced my sub has the wires cut and just hanging so thats why my sub dont work for now
Old 01-08-12, 10:01 AM
Scotty
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 8 Posts

I did a Kicker Comp VT sub in the stock location. It sounded decent, but it just wasn't super clean running infinite baffle. For the speaker grill, instead of remounting the factory brackets you could mount the grill to the parcel shelf like the other two speakers, the only downside is that rear seat removal will be required if you need access to the sub.

After trying infinite baffle for a while I ended up with a box that I created based off one I found on ebay that fit perfectly in the driver's corner of the trunk.
Old 01-08-12, 11:24 AM
92lexi
Rookie

Nice... How much space is left after the box is installed?
Old 01-08-12, 05:04 PM
Cranbery
Driver

@OP: great DIY ive been looking around for one to do this. Looks good.

Scotty the box youre making is pretty cool, does it rattle a lot in the corner of the trunk?
Old 01-08-12, 06:49 PM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Thanks Cranbery!
Old 01-09-12, 08:50 AM
durtysc300
Lexus Test Driver

I used the above box..it takes up about 1/3rd of the trunk space and is pretty shallow. I had to make taller rings for my type x to fit
Old 01-09-12, 09:43 AM
R3Y
Rookie

Yup! thats exactly what i did with mine, but i never finished my thread.. bad me..
but hey! you get awesome bass out of it! and minimal trunk rattle.
Old 03-01-12, 02:55 PM
Cranbery
Driver

I finally got around to doing the full system in my car and I went with a 10" CVT kicker for the sub. I had it with the cover over it and that was horrible rattle. I took off the cover for now and it sounds excellent, just gotta raise it and upholster it like the OP... I'll post pics as soon as I'm done. Love the look of the sub open in the car.
Old 03-01-12, 03:20 PM
Cranbery
Driver

Go figure that as soon as I posted the above post, a knock at my door from the friendly neighborhood UPS guy. I ordered a few weeks ago the subwoofer box from sonix enclosures (which they did an excellent job - very impressed) and I decided after I ordered it I was going to leave the sub open in the car. I'm thinking about selling it but now that I see it in the car, it actually saves a lot of trunk space still and looks really clean. What do you guys think?

The only things I would say is that the felt doesn't match, but that's easily changed - and the little crack inside the box - it came like that. Not really a big deal to me, not gonna see that ever.

Quick Reply: 10" Subwoofer install in stock location (PICS)