Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

changing an automatic transmission

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-10, 09:57 PM
lslade
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default changing an automatic transmission

Hi.

I took on the task of swapping my failing auto for a new(ish) one in my 93 sc400.

I got the old one out, what a bastard to get it removed on jackstands. I left the TC on, wasn't sure if I have to take it off or not...let me know if that was a boner.

when i took it out, tons of transmission fluid came out from the bottom of the bellhousing. Is this normal? I notice when I pitch the old transmission on it's nose it spews out transmission fluid, is this normal behavior or should the seal block that?

This car is the first automatic I've ever had so i'm a little new at these things.

I'm having some trouble getting the trans back in, it got to about .5" inches from flush on the bellhousing and i can't get it that last bit.

Is this usual? Any tricks?

Again, I'm new to autos but I've swapped plenty o manuals, you can usually just spin the tailshaft a little and get it in...

Any help would be great, i'm so damn close!
Old 09-26-10, 10:02 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Everything there sounds normal. The TC is filled with a/t fluid, so your going to spill some, and same when you tilt the trans. I dont think I have ever done a "clean" a/t swap.

As for the trans not going in, either have someone spin the tailshaft, or the t/c to get the splines lined up just right. Getting the front shaft in the t/c can be tricky at times, but it will give up with the proper use of force and alignment.
Old 09-26-10, 10:58 PM
lslade
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for the response, needed that knowledge.

do I need to worry about fluid level in the TC or does it just get it's fluid from the trans?

really appreciate it...we'll see how she goes in tomorrow.
Old 03-10-12, 02:14 AM
BlaineyB
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry to bring back an old thread but how long did you take to swap out your tranny?
Old 03-10-12, 07:54 AM
2jpowa
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All that is normal . It's because you left the tc on the flex plate . And some is going to come out if you sit it on its nose because it seals when the tc is in it