Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Transmission shifting on its own

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-10, 07:00 AM
Cochisecc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Transmission shifting on its own

HELP! I recently had the transmission on my SC 300 (165k) rebuilt. Since the rebuild sometimes when i'm driving down the road, the rpm will shoot up and it feels like the car is downshifting into a lower gear and it will stay there for a bit and then upshift and then downshift again (the rpm guage is going crazy at this point). I have taken it back to my mechanic, whom i've used for years, and he took it apart again and replaced the solinoid and put back together. I drove it for 4 days and it did fine! Perfect! and yesterday it started the downshifting AGAIN! Please help - any suggestions on what it might be would be greatly appreciated. He keeps thinking its something with the computer...??? As its still under warranty with him, I don't want to take it somewhere else. I am trying to keep her for another year at least, even though she is 15 years old, I love her and am not ready to part with her. Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this!!!
Old 09-23-10, 09:38 AM
JesLet
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Maybe he did something wrong on the rebuild. Why not get a used transmission, they are cheap.
Old 09-23-10, 09:55 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

could be the speed sensor on the fritz, does your speedometer work right?
Old 09-24-10, 08:02 AM
Cochisecc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
could be the speed sensor on the fritz, does your speedometer work right?
Actually no, it sticks at '0' some, I hit the dashboard and it un-sticks! I'll see if he checked that....Thanks!!!

Love the pic of the car - that could be me - my car is exactly like that one!!!
cc
Old 09-24-10, 08:08 AM
Cochisecc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JesLet
Maybe he did something wrong on the rebuild. Why not get a used transmission, they are cheap.
Well, I just put 4k in her - over a variety of problems - which about 2k was for the transmission - and he's rebuilt it twice now-just to be sure. I don't want to keep throwing money at her - and I am starting to believe it has something to do with the computer.
Old 09-24-10, 09:09 AM
theory5150
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if its an automatic i think its supposed to shift on its own

lol sorry i have no real input...
Old 09-24-10, 11:02 AM
LEX_MAN
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It might be something electrical bro.I once disconnected the speed sensor wire, and it would not change from first gear, so I'm thinking its electric problem, either ecu, or maybe speed sensor(s)
Old 09-24-10, 01:33 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by Cochisecc
Actually no, it sticks at '0' some, I hit the dashboard and it un-sticks! I'll see if he checked that....Thanks!!!

Love the pic of the car - that could be me - my car is exactly like that one!!!
cc
it could be a speed sensor issue, there are only a handfull of sensors that the ecu uses as an input for gear selection.
I would think if the transmission can shift properly but it chooses the wrong gear then its not a mechanical issue but an electrical one. now if it were to not shift into a particular gear i would check the solenoids. since yours is randomly selecting gears and your speedometer goes in and out I would check the sensors out first (i think there are 2 speed sensors).

Thanks for the comment, Your car must look pretty nice
Old 09-25-10, 01:56 PM
soarer13oy
Lexus Champion

I have the speed sensors off of my 95 transmission if youd like to buy them. My car was running perfectly just did a gte swap. Pm me if your interested.
Old 09-25-10, 02:20 PM
Cochisecc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
it could be a speed sensor issue, there are only a handfull of sensors that the ecu uses as an input for gear selection.
I would think if the transmission can shift properly but it chooses the wrong gear then its not a mechanical issue but an electrical one. now if it were to not shift into a particular gear i would check the solenoids. since yours is randomly selecting gears and your speedometer goes in and out I would check the sensors out first (i think there are 2 speed sensors).

Thanks for the comment, Your car must look pretty nice
Ha, yes, she does look very nice!! That's one reason i'm trying so hard to get her fixed up instead of trading in! I'm almost positive he checked and replaced the speed sensors, but I'll have him check them again. That's the big problem, as you know, if its electrical, it could be anything!! thanks much for all the input!
Old 09-25-10, 02:21 PM
Cochisecc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by soarer13oy
I have the speed sensors off of my 95 transmission if youd like to buy them. My car was running perfectly just did a gte swap. Pm me if your interested.
Thanks much for the offer - but I'm pretty sure he changed those out already... I'll double check with him though.
Old 09-27-10, 06:22 AM
Cochisecc
Driver School Candidate

Well, she's at the mechanic's now. I drove her over yesterday and she changed into 1st and 2nd fine - but just would not shift into 3rd. I just drove 40-45mph all the way over (33miles). A couple of times the rpms reved the engine up and then felt like it shifted up and down, then the speedometer felt like it was going down, speed wise...???? I could just never get her to go to third...??? I just don't know - I'm leaving it up to him! He's going to go through all the sensors, chips, electrical to see if he can find it, bless his heart! I wouldn't wish that on anyone! Thanks for all the help, if you think of anything else, let me know! And if and when we figure it out, I'll post...
Old 11-01-10, 11:46 AM
Cochisecc
Driver School Candidate

Just thought I'd send a thank you to those who responded and let you know - it turned out to be the computer. when my mechanic opened it up there was a burnt spot in the middle where something sparked and melted some components. He got me a really good deal on a used one and so far so good, she's running like a champ again!
Old 11-01-10, 02:28 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by theory5150
if its an automatic i think its supposed to shift on its own

lol sorry i have no real input...
lol i got a laugh from that

Originally Posted by Cochisecc
Just thought I'd send a thank you to those who responded and let you know - it turned out to be the computer. when my mechanic opened it up there was a burnt spot in the middle where something sparked and melted some components. He got me a really good deal on a used one and so far so good, she's running like a champ again!
cool man im glad it worked out ---ive heared that the ecu's opn these cars do tend to give problems at times------glad to see u figured it out

do u mind me asking how many miles u have on your car and how long did the stock tranny last...thanks
Old 11-01-10, 03:44 PM
Cochisecc
Driver School Candidate

it was around 165,000 I got the transmission re-built. Is that what you asked, I'm not really car speak savvy...('stock tranny') - I ask because the milage was posted in the original post...

Quick Reply: Transmission shifting on its own