Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC400 avg. transmission lifespan

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-10, 02:38 PM
WDoherty
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC400 avg. transmission lifespan

My car is approaching 170K and I'm debating on keeping it or going for a lower mileage sc. I have had the car since 87500 miles and it was dealer maintained by the two previous owners. Since my ownership i do regular drain/refills to keep the fluid clean. Only transmission issues i've had are the gear selector switch is working properly and i thought the transmission was slipping a couple of times, but i put it in low gear and it doesn't, so i assume a solenoid acts up on occasion trying to start the car in a higher gear. I know that the lifespan of most domestic autos are around 150k, yet i've seen many sc's for sale for with 220k and i think they are on original trannys. Also if i do keep the car i will be adding an external cooler. Should it make 200k, no worries?
Old 09-23-10, 10:04 AM
MrBrock
Driver

I've got 185k on mine with no problems. Mine was dealer maintained till about 85k and I have all records/reciepts from PO for between then and now. Maintenence is the big factor. If it's been taken care of, 200k shouldn't be a problem.
Also, I would suggest a thermostat for the external cooler, don't want to run too cool.
Old 09-23-10, 10:27 AM
JesLet
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Use the recommended Dexron II.
Old 09-23-10, 11:02 AM
WDoherty
Pole Position

I use toyota type IV, i thought the dextron II was for the PS and hydraulic fan
Old 09-23-10, 11:03 AM
WDoherty
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MrBrock
I've got 185k on mine with no problems. Mine was dealer maintained till about 85k and I have all records/reciepts from PO for between then and now. Maintenence is the big factor. If it's been taken care of, 200k shouldn't be a problem.
Also, I would suggest a thermostat for the external cooler, don't want to run too cool.
Would this be running too cool during warm-up, I didn't know that could be an issue.
Old 09-23-10, 11:50 AM
MrBrock
Driver

If the fluid is too cold it wont flow and lubricate properly, and secondly if the fluid is too cold it can't flow through the electronic solenoids fast enough to control line pressure and move the shift valves properly. Generally this shouldn't be a problem unless you live in a northern climate and are doing some winter driving.
Old 09-23-10, 12:04 PM
Photon440
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBrock
If the fluid is too cold it wont flow and lubricate properly, and secondly if the fluid is too cold it can't flow through the electronic solenoids fast enough to control line pressure and move the shift valves properly. Generally this shouldn't be a problem unless you live in a northern climate and are doing some winter driving.
Not many people address the issue of overcooling. Good point, particularly if you're in sub freezing weather. Here is a link with more info on the matter that talks about both the effects of heat and cold on an automatic:

http://oldihc.org/main/automatic-transmission-cooling-2
Old 09-23-10, 12:20 PM
Klaus
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

250k on my original trans- still shifts amazingly smooth, doesn't leak, and zero issues.
Old 09-23-10, 12:52 PM
1uzDreamSC
Pole Position

mine works fine with 180,000 miles on it
and i haven't done no maintenance on my tranny for the 50,000 miles i have owned it
Old 09-23-10, 02:39 PM
WDoherty
Pole Position

Wow good reports here thus far. 250k, that's incredible. I do live in West Texas and have extremely mild winters, so i should be okay with an additional cooler, yeah? (i'll get the smallest size available).
Old 09-28-10, 03:58 PM
hershsc400
Pole Position

I have 273,xxx on mine and its just now having problems but when i think the cooler hasnt been cooling as efficient as it should and here in Houston it gets to be very humid and HOT. Now im debating on getting a rebuild, from a local performance shop or from Boost Logic, or swapping to a 5spd or 6spd...
Old 09-28-10, 06:14 PM
WDoherty
Pole Position

There are also low mileage used transmissions on car-part.com, of course 5 speed swaps are getting more affordable, but do you have the time?

Originally Posted by hershsc400
I have 273,xxx on mine and its just now having problems but when i think the cooler hasnt been cooling as efficient as it should and here in Houston it gets to be very humid and HOT. Now im debating on getting a rebuild, from a local performance shop or from Boost Logic, or swapping to a 5spd or 6spd...
Old 09-29-10, 03:18 PM
TunerLexx
Driver School Candidate

My sc400 has the stock tranny and is at 283k miles--even though I got it painted and the tard painter winded up overspraying into the grill literally COATING my tranny radiator on the driver's side...I thought it would overheat like hell, but so far no probs (I'm still gonna get a new tranny radiator though :P)
Old 09-30-10, 10:36 AM
WDoherty
Pole Position

Wow, that is alot of miles on one transmission, very encouraging. The stock transmission cooler is in the engine radiator, that separate cooler on the driver's side your looking at is for the hydraulic fan fluid, if that is the one your looking at.

Originally Posted by TunerLexx
My sc400 has the stock tranny and is at 283k miles--even though I got it painted and the tard painter winded up overspraying into the grill literally COATING my tranny radiator on the driver's side...I thought it would overheat like hell, but so far no probs (I'm still gonna get a new tranny radiator though :P)
Old 09-30-10, 12:05 PM
mtnrat
Pole Position

Mine worked great with 48,000 miles. Then I swapped in a 5 spd .

Quick Reply: SC400 avg. transmission lifespan