Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

So Many Threads, Where to start?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-10, 08:51 PM
TrulyBless
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So Many Threads, Where to start?

im a beginner at this car tuning thing and im looking for a few tips to make my 92 sc400 faster without putting a huge dent in my pockets. somebody point me in the right direction.
Old 09-21-10, 09:19 PM
romycha1
Lead Lap

Point you in the right direction?!?

You've already made it to this site... why don't you look around before making useless threads.

Try the stickies first.
Old 09-21-10, 09:51 PM
mtnrat
Pole Position

I give:

1) do a full tune up
2) change fluids
3) BFI
4)Free flow Exhaust and headers
5)dragon or lextreme torque converter.
Thats about it until you add forced induction
You can also do a 5spd swap. Way quicker.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...or-1000-a.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...gine-mods.html

There are tons more but that will give you a starting place to use the search function.

Last edited by mtnrat; 09-21-10 at 09:55 PM.
Old 09-21-10, 09:52 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by romycha1
Point you in the right direction?!?

You've already made it to this site... why don't you look around before making useless threads.

Try the stickies first.
lol harsh ---------
Old 09-21-10, 10:49 PM
ClearP
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
lol harsh ---------
lol seriously harsh
Old 09-22-10, 02:15 AM
TrulyBless
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mtnrat
I give:

1) do a full tune up
2) change fluids
3) BFI

There are tons more but that will give you a starting place to use the search function.
the swap ill have to give some thought. but 1 - 4 sounds like a plan. appreciate tha help.
Old 09-22-10, 07:54 AM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
lol harsh ---------
Originally Posted by ClearP
lol seriously harsh
Maybe, but consider the title of this very thread; when people make threads like this they just exacerbate that situation, making it even worse for the next guy who comes along having to search and weed their way through a buzillion threads PLUS this one now!

It seems harsh, but it's a growing problem which degrades the usefulness of the database available here.
Old 09-22-10, 11:01 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok, step 1 is to unplug your mass air meter
Old 09-22-10, 11:11 AM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by good2go
Maybe, but consider the title of this very thread; when people make threads like this they just exacerbate that situation, making it even worse for the next guy who comes along having to search and weed their way through a buzillion threads PLUS this one now!

It seems harsh, but it's a growing problem which degrades the usefulness of the database available here.
If it is easy enough to answer why not just answer them like what mtnrat replied with? The time it took you to quote ClearP and 1Willy1 probably took just about the same time mtnrat did right?..... Not really trying to debate/argue with you here but I think that is why we have this forum which is to be able to help each other out immediately. Me? I certainly try not to respond if I don't know the answer than trying to make smart comments that is no use to the original poster.
Old 09-22-10, 11:43 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by masagsxr
If it is easy enough to answer why not just answer them like what mtnrat replied with? The time it took you to quote ClearP and 1Willy1 probably took just about the same time mtnrat did right?..... Not really trying to debate/argue with you here but I think that is why we have this forum which is to be able to help each other out immediately. Me? I certainly try not to respond if I don't know the answer than trying to make smart comments that is no use to the original poster.
I have to agree-----I do understand that there are alot of threads that can be avoided but at the end of the day I think this site is here for us to help one another and learn from eachother.

Even though sometimes you can find some info on your question in other peoples threads it is hard to get your specific question answered the way you need it to be from someone elses thread sometimes.

Someone could of politely told him that this has been covered before and to try the search functions.

I still think the first response was a little much----hes only asking us for a bit of help and friendly advice ----not asking your little sister out on a date.
Old 09-22-10, 11:56 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mtnrat
I give:

1) do a full tune up
2) change fluids
3) BFI

MTNRAT if a person does all of this what sort of horsepower gain do you think he can expect.

I have a 93 sc400 ----250 hp stock....what do you think these upgrades can do for me horsepower wise.

Thanks
Old 09-22-10, 12:19 PM
mtnrat
Pole Position

Depends on how poorly tuned the car currently is. But aside from tuning the headers and exhaust might give 25. I really don't know. I read somewhere on here that the headers resulted in 19-23hp??? The torque converter or 5 spd swap don't increase hp but they do help to get the power to the ground at take off. The 5 spd swap made big difference off the line and passing. Some of that due to the lower and closer gearing of the 5spd. I don't have a seat of the pants for the headers yet as I just put them in and my flywheel/pressure plate are off getting balanced.
Old 09-23-10, 12:28 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

thanks mtnrat
Old 09-23-10, 03:10 PM
kwg
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by masagsxr
It all starts with the search button. He found his way to the forum so he should learn his way around it. Have you heard of the proverb "give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man how to finish, feed him for a lifetime." Some many people are asking the same broad and general questions which can easily be found if they had some common sense to look it up. I understand there are certain things/topics that haven't been covered or need more clarification but this topic is ridiculous. Want to make something faster without spending a lot? Do some research on parts and pricing, how difficult can that be? The forums been up long enough to cover something as simple as this, so that some initiative.
Old 09-23-10, 04:00 PM
t70 supra
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i did all of that to my sc400 it was still slow granted i loved the car but still

just get a 1jz thier more cheaper than going out and buying all those parts then paying for installs thet hae 1jz for 1200.00 at jhot search "Jhot" dont ask me

if u decided to swap go with jhot i got my motor from jspec auto it was clean as **** but if i do it again i got jhot

Last edited by t70 supra; 09-24-10 at 10:56 AM.

Quick Reply: So Many Threads, Where to start?