Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Thoughts and plans, here's my car

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-10, 06:16 PM
95lexDream
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts and plans, here's my car

Am a new member and I don't want to post in the intro thread because it is huge. Here are a few pics of my 95 SC400 (170k) and my first impressions. I think it would be good for sc400 owners to make a thread showing their maintence records and best mods. Not a thread for people with grands to drop on rebuilds.

That last picture shows you why you always should replace your transmition mount after maybe 120k miles or less even. They are usually sold as "engine mounts" got mine for $52 shipped took about 45 mins to change 8 bolts 4 lock nut. Obviously my car sounded like **** before changing the broken mount. Replaced the taillights with clear/red tails (ebay $150) and am loving em.

I probably blew my MAF cleaning it as I have every car I've owned. Wouldn't recomend cleaning the 92-95 sc400 mafs with any kind of cleaner. A shop said $1149 for a new maf... also wanting $87 labor for 5 min changeout. I have found several used from salvage yards for $90-$140.

So far I have drained and refilled the transmition fluid and changed the pan gasket (did not flush). Oil change with castrol.

I put a $20 specter cone filter and use an adapter $12. Adds alot of nice sound, response, and mpg hopefully. I hear these can damage the maf or not work right with maf .. not seeing why that would be. Loving the quad cam 4.0 v8.

So far things I've noticed I need to do are replacing the serpentine belts (got like 50 cracks per inch) Probably need a timing belt I sure wish there was a trick to seeing if you needed to replace it. Am thinking about gutting the cat almost did it today. Most likely I'll replace stuff as it breaks but these belts freak me out.

Overall: I am in love with this car. It glides around sublimely and I find myself constantly not realizing how bad the roads are. Has the best ride of any coupe I've ridden in. Interiour with black leather/walnut trim is in near perfect condition and I'm impressed with the stock pioneer speakers/sub. Fast and always fun to drive a RWD car. The engine and intake purr (sounds alot like a new infiniti Q45 v8 or some G35s). The more I own it the more I see its potential.

Stillwondering:

-what are the best budget mods I can do, like under $1000 for sure. I can do the labor myself on alot... I'm just wondering what in particular these cars respond well to. For now I want to go for power and maybe a 5spd conversion.
-if there are some decent budget chips out there
-what I'm forgetting
-what I could clean like the intake manifold or other things that could improve things cheaply.

Anyone else feel free to post some of their experience with their cars and maintenance. Always good to have a thread like this going.
Attached Images     
Old 09-14-10, 07:33 PM
mtnrat
Pole Position

Get rid of the cone filter and do the BFI mod. Just search. It is the best bang for basically no bucks.
Old 09-14-10, 09:53 PM
ClearP
Lead Lap

Is BFI mod better than cone filter tho?
Old 09-15-10, 07:20 AM
95lexDream
Driver School Candidate

Hell for $32 I can't complain much about the intake... it sounds mean and did add some responsiveness. As long as I know its not messing anything up im cool.

Just found the mega diy thread this stuff is great!!!