Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Whats the cheapest way to Turbo Charge A GE ????

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-10, 08:37 AM
Bcasey
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats the cheapest way to Turbo Charge A GE ????

So here's the situation My buddy has a GE sitting in the garage wasting away. I have a car to put it in wasting away as well. so the plan is to put the two together. This would be a practice car for drifting that we could both use. Now I am buying a 2JZ-GTE for my sc that has a big single swap done already. The motor comes with all the old parts... Twins, piping, intake manifold, etc. I'm sure you can see where I'm going with this. I've started my research online but I thought I would get some expert opinions on this. Here are the areas I could use a little clarification on.

1- I'm under the impression we can run the head that's on the car now?

2- I know the tt oil pan will need to be purchased but besides that if you had all the turbo parts off a GTE would you need anything else? fuel pump maybe?

3- Were hoping to get 50HP for free.. we have a feeling that that wont happen realistically. are there any tips for pre installation prep that could help us achieve this ?? polish the turbo housing maybe? yanow small stuff that could help get the performance back to when the turbos were new or better.

Obviously we are going to research everything but any assistance with this would be great.
Old 09-14-10, 08:46 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well for starters the GTE stock twins wont work on the GE head. no need to swap the oil pans, drill and tap the GE oil pan. The GE head will flow just fine, and in some peoples opinions, the GE head flows better than the GTE but I have not seen any flow charts, so I cant say for sure.

Best advice I can give, is search. Read about different na-t setups, register and search more on clubna-t .com.

If you need any help or have any questions feel free to pm me, but you gotta do some searching.
Old 09-14-10, 12:17 PM
Bcasey
Driver School Candidate

Thanks,

guess i need to find out if we lower the compression on the GE block, with a head gasket, can we run the stock twins then... on the GTE head of course. And what we would need to do to accomplish that.
Old 09-14-10, 12:19 PM
Klaus
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by turbodremz
...in some peoples opinions, the GE head flows better than the GTE but I have not seen any flow charts, so I cant say for sure.
This rumor needs to stop. It doesn't

GTE has greater area under the curve and outflows the GE head most of the band. Of note as well is that the 1j head also flows less than the 2jz-gte head. Still don't understand why people refuse to use the 2jz-gte head when it's been proven time and time again to be superior.
Old 09-14-10, 12:20 PM
Klaus
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bcasey
Thanks,

guess i need to find out if we lower the compression on the GE block, with a head gasket, can we run the stock twins then... on the GTE head of course. And what we would need to do to accomplish that.
You can't run the stock twins on a GE head because the ports are entirely different. GE and GTE manifolds are not compatible. Now can try your hand at making a custom manifold but... probably more trouble than it's worth.
Old 09-14-10, 12:44 PM
Bcasey
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Klaus
You can't run the stock twins on a GE head because the ports are entirely different. GE and GTE manifolds are not compatible. Now can try your hand at making a custom manifold but... probably more trouble than it's worth.
Thanks for the clarification on the heads... everywhere I look people are arguing about that. What do you think about running the twins on the GTE head and GE block ?
Old 09-14-10, 12:46 PM
Bcasey
Driver School Candidate

Think of it this way we have all the parts from a GTE except the block. We also have a complete GT motor. Whats the cheapest way to put those two things together and end up with a turbo motor ?
Old 09-14-10, 01:00 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ditch the GTE parts. Order a turbo manifold for the GE (you can get them for $200 new), turbo, oil lines, WG, HG, injectors, FP, EMS (piggy back will suffice) FMIC/pipe, BOV, DP, DONE!

If your not going for anything more than 350rwhp, leave the stock compression, and injectors boost to 9psi.
Old 09-14-10, 01:09 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

unless you can make a new turbo manifold to fit the twins to the ge head, those parts aren't going to get you anywhere.

you are not the first person to have left over gte parts laying around and a spare ge engine. thats why the gte parts have hardly any resale value, you need the gte head on the ge block (works perfectly fine but gte head is ridiculous expensive) or a custom manifold (also too expensive just to use the factory twins). you see where im going, its not cheap but there are many ways to turbo the ge.

what you could do is put the twins back on the gte, get a single turbo manifold for the ge and put the big single from the gte on the ge along with a TT headgasket and some arp headstuds, up the fuel and boost away.
Old 09-14-10, 01:13 PM
Bcasey
Driver School Candidate

So looks like NA-T or 1jz is going to be the only reasonable options then. Thanks everyone really saved me alot of time.
Old 09-14-10, 11:01 PM
Klaus
Instructor

Go with a 2jz-gte - cheapest option for the performance gained.