Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

99 SC300 water pump

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-10, 10:09 AM
Jrm87
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 SC300 water pump

Hey I have a 99 SC300 and I need a new water pump. Advanced Auto Parts and Auto Zone and everywhere online says there are a 10 and 11 bolt water pump available for all years of the SC300. I talked to the dealer and they said there is only 1 but did not tell me how many bolts. The one from the dealer is $255 The other ones from autozone are $150 and $50. Does anyone know which one I need? I'd rather not buy one from the dealer but I can if I must. I just don't want to take everything apart to find out the part I need.
Any help is greatly appreciated
Thanks,
Jesse
Old 01-25-10, 10:29 AM
PEARL2
Pole Position

You want to buy the water pump that wil fit your specific year. all 300 pumps may be the same but you want specify what you're looking for. whether you buy from the dealer or from an auto parts store it's all the same thing.

Last edited by PEARL2; 01-25-10 at 10:36 AM.
Old 01-25-10, 10:29 AM
Spooled
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Didnt really think there was a way you could get the wrong waterpump for a 99 SC. Perhaps go to the dealer and ask to see the waterpump?

I believe they are talking about how many bolts hold it on. There might be a small difference waterpumps, not sure. The non-VVTi 2jz and VVTi 2jz?? Can anyone verify?

Call me ****, but when it comes to parts that are vital to your vehicle, I always recommend OEM parts. Waterpump is pretty vital. There are some things you could get from Autozone and be fine. Just throwing that out there.
Old 01-25-10, 11:50 AM
joeazy187
Pole Position

the difference is the size of the pulley mounts the non vvti pulley mount is bigger I leaarned that the hard way I still have a brand new in box waterpump for a vvti 2jzge for sale. but if you look at the pic you will notice the pulley off my 2jzge wont fit the new water pump do to the fact that its for a vvti 2jzge engine. I hope this helps.
99 SC300 water pump-img00227.jpg
Old 01-25-10, 01:04 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Funny,

I just ran into the same issue with the 10 bolt/11 bolt. There doesn't seem to be any defined rhyme or reason as to when they switched, particularly if the WP has previously been replaced.

Unfortunately with the 99 I would venture to guess you have the 11-bolt (more expensive one)... That's what I had on my 96.

Good luck,
Jonny
Old 01-26-10, 09:29 AM
brenden
Driver School Candidate

I am running into the same problem. I am about to do the timing belt service on my 98 SC300, but I am not sure which pump to buy. I am getting most all of the parts OEM from a toyota dealer, but the pump is so expensive. I would rather not have to buy the OEM pump if I don't have to. I would like to buy the Aisin pump that is suppose to be OEM and is much cheaper, but don't want to take the chance ordering it. What I can't have happen is to order a pump, tear it all down and then not have the correct pump to put back on and end up at some parts place buying a generic pump that has questionable reliabilty.

I have read a fair amount on different boards and some seem to think that the pump changed when they add VVti, some think that the 97+ are 11 hole pumps and pre 97 are 10 hole or vise versa. Others think that it was possibly a difference in which plant the engine was assembled or different engine castings. Some believe that there seems to be no rhyme or reason to which cars have a 10 hole pump and which cars have an 11 hole pump.

Here is a link to a thread on here. The water pump was from a 93 5spd and has 11 holds.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...p-is-this.html

Another thread 92 SC300 auto with 11 hole pump
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ming-belt.html

Would like to hear from people with the 97 and up and see how many holes thier pumps have had.

Hope we figure this out!!

Michael
Old 01-26-10, 09:31 AM
brenden
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by joeazy187
the difference is the size of the pulley mounts the non vvti pulley mount is bigger I leaarned that the hard way I still have a brand new in box waterpump for a vvti 2jzge for sale. but if you look at the pic you will notice the pulley off my 2jzge wont fit the new water pump do to the fact that its for a vvti 2jzge engine. I hope this helps.
Attachment 162657
Hey! Do you remember if there was a difference in the number of holes between the 2 water pumps?
Old 01-26-10, 10:23 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

OK if your SC doesn't have the fan clutch it uses the water pump with the small studs for the pulley.
You need the one with longer, and bigger studs for the clutch fan.
If you have the electric fans like the IS300 you need the WP with small studs, but you can still use the other one but will need to change the pulley to the older still.
The pulley in that pics above is the older still and the water Pump is the newer still .
I can get you the Part # is you like ....
I have both of them at home and i will take pics and show the difference between the two.
Old 01-26-10, 11:49 AM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by quickGS300
OK if your SC doesn't have the fan clutch it uses the water pump with the small studs for the pulley.
If you have the electric fans like the IS300 you need the WP with small studs, but you can still use the other one but will need to change the pulley to the older still.
The pulley in that pics above is the older still and the water Pump is the newer still .
I have both of them at home and i will take pics and show the difference between the two.
please post up the pics i have a WP just sitting cuz i dont know what to do with it LoL
Old 01-26-10, 12:30 PM
brenden
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info!!! Maybe I am making a connection that isn't there, but could it be that if the car has a clutch fan it might be the 11 hole pump and if the car has the electric fan it should have the 10 hole pump? The reason it may be so hard to track is they switched from clutch to elect. fans mid year? If so, I wonder why Toyota/Lexus has only one part number?
Old 01-26-10, 12:36 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

What are you trying to do?
The only difference between the 2 is the studs where the pulley bolts to the water pump.The newer style i not made for the cars with the clutch fan, the only best way to use that on the older cars is to go with E fans.

16100-49837-83 the old style
16100-49876-83 the new style

Last edited by 99SC42; 01-26-10 at 12:45 PM.
Old 01-26-10, 12:49 PM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What are you trying to do?
The only difference between the 2 is the studs where the pulley bolts to the water pump.The newer style i not made for the cars with the clutch fan, the only best way to use that on the older cars is to go with E fans.

16100-49837-83 the old style
16100-49876-83 the new style
so there is no difference in bolting it up to the block ??? only difference is the clutch fan pulley ?
Old 01-26-10, 01:18 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Yes sir that's correct i will take some pics this week end to show the difference and i will install both WP to the 2JZ non VVTi just so you guys can see stay tuned.
That should clear all the confusions...
Old 01-27-10, 10:06 AM
brenden
Driver School Candidate

I'm just confused as to why there are water pumps with 10 holes and water pumps with 11 holes. Can't seem to make any sense as to why some cars have a 10 hole pump and others have 11 hole pumps. There has to be some explanation. Was it a difference in years, what plant the engine was manufactured at etc...????

I just don't want to order a pump, only to get my 98 tore down and end up having a 10 hole pump and need an 11 hole pump or vise versa. Then end up having to settle for whatever one of the box autoparts stores have in stock. We have to drive this car weekly, and I don't want to be without it because I don't have the correct water pump or can't get a descent one from the parts store and then my local Toyota/Lexus dealer be closed all weekend and then once they are open, having to pay out the nose to get one so I don't have to reorder and bother with having to return one I ordered off line.
Old 01-27-10, 01:17 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

I would just go to Lexus and get one , and not worry about not being the right one.
It will save you alot of time and hassle.

Quick Reply: 99 SC300 water pump