Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

ATTN: SC turbo install veterans!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-02, 07:53 PM
wmulli
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question ATTN: SC turbo install veterans!

I'm in the process of collecting the misc parts I need for a turbo transplant on my SC (Many thanks to all the forum members for their invaluable knowledge!!)

My first question is "What intake manifold do you guys use"?? I've done the forum search, but can't seem to find any definitive answers. Any sources would be appreciated as well.

Second "How do you route the IC piping, do you have to relocate the battery"??

Thanks!
-Walter
Old 07-14-02, 08:26 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

"What intake manifold do you guys use"??
Stock one, ported and polished.

Both SP and Toyomoto have experience with altering the stock throttle body to work with a custom drivers side manifold a-la Supra TT. Its similar to the TT style, but not exactly. DaveH on the Supra board has a custom side mounted manifold (instead of over the top). I believe Ethan also has a custom SP manifold that is the same basic thing. Advantages to the custom manifolds are that you can easily change the plugs and there is more direct access to the output end of the intercooler. Battery relocation is not necessary, but helpful on these.
Old 07-15-02, 06:59 AM
wmulli
Lead Lap

Originally posted by SC300T

Stock one, ported and polished.

Both SP and Toyomoto have experience with altering the stock throttle body to work with a custom drivers side manifold a-la Supra TT. Its similar to the TT style, but not exactly. DaveH on the Supra board has a custom side mounted manifold (instead of over the top). I believe Ethan also has a custom SP manifold that is the same basic thing. Advantages to the custom manifolds are that you can easily change the plugs and there is more direct access to the output end of the intercooler. Battery relocation is not necessary, but helpful on these.
I've been considering both the stock intake manifold as well as a side mount. Would a stock Supra TT manifold bolt up? Guess the main difference is the type of intercooler I want. I've been leaning towards a front mount. This would make a side manifold easier to pipe, but the idea of relocating the battery and steering hoses is a bit more than I want to deal with. My other choice is a side mount I/C with an electric fan. This way would make piping to the stock manifold easier (a *lot* easier).

Any comments pro or con??

Thanks,
-Walter
Old 07-15-02, 02:31 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

If Scott doesn't mind me jumping in until he answers you, the GTE intake will not bolt up to the GE head, but as he said, there are aftermarket solutions, PF also offers a sheetmetal intake for the GE, in two different configurations (and a nice -8 rail for the GE). A Supra TT sidemount IC bolts right up, if you're looking for easy, that's definitely it, or you could use the Spearco sidemount IC, it has alum end tanks. You don't have to relocate the battery, Scott just meant it's always a good idea, which i've found to be definitely true. No steering hoses to relocate. That being said, if you save up a bit more and go for the FMIC, i'd do it, i'm sure Scott will agree. Mr. Hureau?
- Jon
Old 07-15-02, 03:37 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Uhh, yep, couldn't have said it better. Thanks Jon.

Moving the battery to the trunk also helps with weight distribution, and would theoretically allow harder launches without slippage. And slippage is a REAL problem with that much oomph.

I'd only go side mount if you NEVER intend to upgrade past 450 or so rwhp. At lower boost levels, the stock sidemount is fine. At stock compression, the side mount is fine. Once you drop the compression and really start working the turbo, 18psi worth of heat on these things will cause heat soak, raising intake air temps which robs hp dramatically. Many people with lowered compression run the T60-1 at 23psi, this would be too much for the side mount to work effectively. Other than heat, there is also a flow rate in CFMs that you have to deal with. The sidemount isn't bad flow-wise, but its no match for a big Greddy FMIC.

So far out of all the turbo people on the board, I guarantee 0 turbo owners say that they're going to leave their engines alone. Once you get started, the insanity will hit you and won't leave. That's a good argument for going with a big FMIC.

I believe the SP manifold is Power Steering pump and line freindly, but you'd have to ask Larry to be sure. Larry can build the manifold, fuel rail and piping side from output of your FMIC so that it's nearly plug-n-play.
Old 07-16-02, 08:09 AM
wmulli
Lead Lap

Thanks guys, GREAT info!

Now I've got even MORE to ponder

Now, pardon my ignorance, but Larry who?
Old 07-16-02, 08:21 AM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Larry Prebis.
He's one of the main guys at Sound Performance.
They're in Chicago.
sound-performance.com