Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

98 SC400 Power steering acting wierd.

Old 08-31-10, 11:47 PM
spdrcr771
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 98 SC400 Power steering acting wierd.

My power steering is acting wierd. Its not leaking, Its not wineing. But its starting to get really stiff @ about 3/4 way to lock. Also when im pulling out making a 90 degree turn, the wheel will not spin back on it own. Its staying turned. I have to turn i back to center. Its getting worse as each day goes on. Im thinking maybe flushing it will work, but I dont know yet. Just trying to get some ideas b4 i tear into it. Has this happened to anyone else. I hope the racks not going out or the pump.
Old 09-01-10, 12:03 AM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hasn't happen to me. Air in the system maybe? Hope a good flush works too but it might be the rack. You'll somewhat see the oil spin on the reservoir when you open the cap while the engine is running or when u pull the return hose when u do the flush.
Old 09-01-10, 02:39 PM
spdrcr771
Lexus Champion

I guess there is no problem with the power steering, NOW that the lower control arm ball joint pulled out of socket, & fell on the tire. I was 30yrds down my street when i heard a grinding sound. I stopped. Tried to back it to my drive way, as i started to back in, turning. I comes out of socket. No damage so lucky. But now I gotta get a control arm. So i get a hookup for 249 brand new supra lca. But i still call around to some local sc/surpra shops to see if they have a used one w/a good ball joint, cause i have daizen bushings already. David @ snap performance says that supra/sc lca are not EXACTLY the same. He said not enough to notice anything but ware out the bushings faster.
So now Im like WTF, $249 is a deal but if its not the same that sucks cause, got to have a alignment to get it right & what if it changes the handling of the car, cause its 1/8th inch longer.
Old 09-01-10, 02:49 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spdrcr771
I guess there is no problem with the power steering, NOW that the lower control arm ball joint pulled out of socket, & fell on the tire. I was 30yrds down my street when i heard a grinding sound. I stopped. Tried to back it to my drive way, as i started to back in, turning. I comes out of socket. No damage so lucky. But now I gotta get a control arm. So i get a hookup for 249 brand new supra lca. But i still call around to some local sc/surpra shops to see if they have a used one w/a good ball joint, cause i have daizen bushings already. David @ snap performance says that supra/sc lca are not EXACTLY the same. He said not enough to notice anything but ware out the bushings faster.
So now Im like WTF, $249 is a deal but if its not the same that sucks cause, got to have a alignment to get it right & what if it changes the handling of the car, cause its 1/8th inch longer.
Hunh????

been running these just fine for a quite a while now; alignment specs came out perfectly.

This sounds a bit hysterical if you ask me. Is he alleging that any differences are NOT within adjustment normal tolerances ??

For the record, it should be pretty much assumed that you'll need an alignment done ANY time you change your lca's. . .even to Lexus factory parts.
Old 09-01-10, 03:04 PM
spdrcr771
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by good2go
Hunh????

been running these just fine for a quite a while now; alignment specs came out perfectly.

This sounds a bit hysterical if you ask me. Is he alleging that any differences are NOT within adjustment normal tolerances ??

For the record, it should be pretty much assumed that you'll need an alignment done ANY time you change your lca's. . .even to Lexus factory parts.
Yea thats totally right about the alignment. I just dont want the geometry to be off. He said it wouldnt be notice able at all, but im a road racer & i notice most everyting. Maybe it will work out just perfect. Will see.

so you have these & no prob at all.

And no he didnt alledge that it wouldnt be able to be put into spec.
Old 09-01-10, 03:07 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by spdrcr771

so you have these & no prob at all.

zip
zero
nada
Old 09-01-10, 03:10 PM
spdrcr771
Lexus Champion

sweet thanks for making me feel alittle better about it. Now i dont know what to do. Press out the new lca bushing & put in the poly'ies or just leave it till they go.
Old 09-01-10, 03:25 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Well, if you've got poly's and new sleeves (inner and outer) you could always press them out and sell the rubber units on here; I'm sure someone would buy them. If you track the car, you will notice a difference between the cushiness of the rubber vs. the tautness of the poly. But remember, the rubber is bonded to the sleeves, so if you don't have replacements you'd have to burn out the brand new rubber, wasting them.
Old 09-01-10, 04:53 PM
sc4demon
Lexus Test Driver

i need to change out the lower control arm bushings out of my 98 also...i heard the supra lca bushings fit but i dont wanna take a chance...has any1 switched them out?
Old 09-02-10, 11:41 PM
spdrcr771
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by good2go
Well, if you've got poly's and new sleeves (inner and outer) you could always press them out and sell the rubber units on here; I'm sure someone would buy them. If you track the car, you will notice a difference between the cushiness of the rubber vs. the tautness of the poly. But remember, the rubber is bonded to the sleeves, so if you don't have replacements you'd have to burn out the brand new rubber, wasting them.
This is ABSOLUTLY right. Some people might not notice the rubber bushing/vs the ploy bushing, but I will. Yes I trak the car, and that would make a difference. So YES I did cut & press out the stock hard rubber supra bushings & still leave the stock sleave's w/some modding on one end. Looks like its gonna be perfect. It pulls to the right even though, I marked the LCA bolts & put them back on line.

The way you have to get the stock bushing out, you pretty much have to destroy them. The big end "w/the notched bushing sleave "rear of control arm" side. Is almost saveable but the front side is not @ all. Fits just like the SC one w/the polys. Sucks it turns out to be $250.00 ball joint.

Last edited by spdrcr771; 09-02-10 at 11:44 PM.