Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

sc400 EGR DELETE --still throwing CEL code 71

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-14, 04:18 PM
k7q
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

can you get some pics on the install of the resistor? I want to do this since im getting a cel.
Old 09-14-14, 04:28 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by k7q
can you get some pics on the install of the resistor? I want to do this since im getting a cel.
I already taped it all up and tucked it away. But it's real straight forward what I did. Each leg of the resistor fits snugly where the pin of the EGR side of the connector would go, so I folded the legs basically in half to: a) make them a similar length as the pins they were replacing, and b) make them the same thickness as the pins, being doubled back on themselves.

Wiggle them into the holes and you'll end up with a very snug fit and just enough extra length to allow the width of the resistor, which is now perpendicular to the plug, to fit flush against it. Finish up by wrapping it all up with electrical tape to remain clean and dry. I thought about putting the two halves of the connector loosely together and taping them up that way, but there wasn't enough overlap and I thought it might damage the resistor in between.

Has anyone taken the EGR temp. probe off once disconnecting it? If so, what did you use to plug its port in the manifold?
Old 09-14-14, 06:09 PM
k7q
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

THANKS! makes sense now or im just slow.
Old 09-14-14, 06:33 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by k7q
THANKS! makes sense now or im just slow.
No worries, it took me awhile to find a description that somewhat made sense. Enough so to forge ahead... Once I had the resistor and plug in hand, there was really only one thing to do with it all.
Old 09-14-14, 09:45 PM
Cronik1UZ
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by t2d2
Still no CEL after close to a week and a mix of city and highway driving.
Well, code 71 came back and on September 11,2014 I decided to unplug the EGR Temp Sensor and plug in the 10 ohm 1/2 watt resistor and deleted and routed some of the lines like the fuel pressure regulator line to the vsv, it's been 4 days of city and highway driving and no code 71 CEL( bye, bye code 71 R.I.P) when before it would appear after 21 miles of city or highway driving ... I fabricated a EGR port plate and sealed it for good. I will post some pictures of it, a before and after and I'm pretty happy and pleased... I bought the car 2 months ago but I just put it on the road 2weeks ago, I was waiting for both new front upper control arms and my rear upper control arm bushings to come in to put it on the road, thanks to this forum I was able to save my money from repairing the EGR...

Last edited by Cronik1UZ; 09-14-14 at 10:01 PM.
Old 09-14-14, 09:53 PM
Cronik1UZ
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was thinking of removing the temp sensor when I was deleting the egr but I decided to leave it for the weekend...I'm also going to remove the EGR pipe to the exhaust, I'm a certified automotive tech at Midas and I have access to lifts and anything I need or any tools that I don't have at work, which is awesome and is going to make my job was easier... I'm glad it won't cost me anything to do the job.

Last edited by Cronik1UZ; 09-14-14 at 10:13 PM.
Old 09-15-14, 12:19 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

If you remove the EGR probe, let me know what you end up plugging it with. I haven't taken mine out to check, but I imagine it's just a matter of matching the thread size to a bolt.

That lift will surely come in handy for getting your EGR pipe off! The pictures make it look nearly impossible to access without removing the engine and exhaust as one unit, but it's supposedly doable if you find the right angle of attack.
Old 09-15-14, 01:50 PM
Boergy
Advanced

Received 111 Likes on 60 Posts

i have simulated my EGR Sensor after the EGR Valve with a resistor with a 10k-ohm resistor. I have a 97 SC400 with OBD.II ECU no CEL more
The following users liked this post:
BadFabScLs (07-10-21)
Old 10-07-14, 10:32 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by t2d2
If you remove the EGR probe, let me know what you end up plugging it with. I haven't taken mine out to check, but I imagine it's just a matter of matching the thread size to a bolt.
I have the manifold off this week for putting in new fuel injectors, so it was a convenient time to remove the EGR temperature probe. Replace it with M10 x 1.25, but it's tough to find one short enough since most M10 is 1.50 course pitch. I had to use a bunch of washers and didn't get enough... If you can find one that's only 10mm, that would probably be perfect. The shortest I could find was 20mm.
Old 08-20-15, 04:23 PM
dricacho
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to deal with this code 71 on my 92 SC400. I've been researching and making a list of my troubleshooting steps. I'm on the part to check for the EGR gas temp sensor. Does anyone know where this could be on a 92 SC400?
Old 01-14-20, 02:43 PM
JumperPhil
Driver School Candidate

Default 1992 EGR delete missing temp probe

Hey folks, just completed EGR delete on my early 92 SC400 and to save my life I can,t find were to install the resister, there are no temp probes as far as I can see. any ideas

"What is interesting is that most later 92 SC 400s models and beyond have a different solenoid type of EGR and supposedly an EGR temp gas temperature sensor. I do not see where mine has the EGR temp sensor and it has the older style non-electric EGR valve. So what sends the signal to the computer relative to the exhaust exhaust gas temperature?

The car idles perfectly but it's down on power and displays a TRAC OFF and CEL code 71 lights. Despite clearing the code by removing the EFI fuse, both the check engine light and the trac off lights immediately illuminate upon restarting."

Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

Last edited by JumperPhil; 01-15-20 at 07:45 AM.
Old 04-12-21, 10:21 AM
lexteme
8th Gear

Originally Posted by JumperPhil
Hey folks, just completed EGR delete on my early 92 SC400 and to save my life I can,t find were to install the resister, there are no temp probes as far as I can see. any ideas

"What is interesting is that most later 92 SC 400s models and beyond have a different solenoid type of EGR and supposedly an EGR temp gas temperature sensor. I do not see where mine has the EGR temp sensor and it has the older style non-electric EGR valve. So what sends the signal to the computer relative to the exhaust exhaust gas temperature?

The car idles perfectly but it's down on power and displays a TRAC OFF and CEL code 71 lights. Despite clearing the code by removing the EFI fuse, both the check engine light and the trac off lights immediately illuminate upon restarting."

Thoughts?
[/QUOTE]

Here is where the resistor goes.
Old 07-10-21, 12:53 PM
BadFabScLs
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello, I know this is an old thread but where exactly did you plug in the resistor, I am doing the same after deleting the EGR for the supercharger install.. thank you