Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Timing belt jumped a tooth. Now what?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-10, 06:34 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Timing belt jumped a tooth. Now what?

So I just did a few things to my car. Spark plugs, valve cover gaskets, new radiator, and new ps cooler. I put everything in and got it all together, and started it up. It ran perfect and the lumpy idle was gone too. I checked for leaks and the whole deal, and then shut it off so I could add some ATF to my ps reservoir to bleed the system.

When I turned it back on, it still ran fine, until I started turning the wheel. I was turning it lock to lock when I heard the engine miss, then the car shuddered and the engine died. I tried starting it up a few times after checking plugs and everything, but it sounded kinda weird. I removed the cam cover and noticed this:
Name:  photo-106.jpg
Views: 4098
Size:  78.6 KB

To me, these look a little askew. How does it look to you guys? Does everything I described sound like it jumped a tooth or two? I'm not even sure which cam gear is off either.

I tried removing the crank pulley today, but the nut wouldn't come off with the electric impact wrench I have. Would I have to take off the crank pulley and everything to fix this? Or is there a way to loosen the tensioner and move the gears without pulling the crank pulley?

Cliffs: Timing belt jumped a tooth on one of the cam gears. Not sure which. How do I fix this? Do I have to remove the crank pulley?

Thanks guys.
Old 08-27-10, 06:59 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmmm, why not spin it to TDC where all the marks should line up and see what's what from there? If it is off, its off for a good reason. Simply re-timing it wont address the problem that let it jump to begin with.
Old 08-27-10, 07:00 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't tell from the pic where the cam marks are

Unless they are right over the gear spoke just to right of tdc. If you can turn your engine over by hand (pull the plugs if it's too hard), try to get them lined up straight at 12:00 and see where the crank timing mark is. Also,I don't think you will be able get the cover off w/o removing the crank pulley.

btw, your tensioner would have to pretty much be shot to allow a tooth jump on a belt that looks that good.
Old 08-27-10, 07:51 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

i can barely see the timing marks, but they aren't lined up with the marks on the back cover.

Probably time for a timing belt and maybe a tensioner
Old 08-27-10, 08:12 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Weren't you running a pulley off of a 2JZGTE, which supposedly fits a bit differently? Maybe that is part of the problem...
Old 08-27-10, 08:31 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by stockhatch
Weren't you running a pulley off of a 2JZGTE, which supposedly fits a bit differently? Maybe that is part of the problem...
Pulley doesn't drive the timing belt, the timing gear on the crank drives it.
Old 08-27-10, 08:38 PM
soarer13oy
Lexus Champion

I didnt know the crank pulleys are different. Good to know.
Old 08-28-10, 01:22 AM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

I'm running the stock 1jz pulley, and the Isuzu timing belt. Either way I've been running the pulley for two years. The belt is only a year old, but if I end up having the pull the crank pulley I might just replace it anyway. I'm probably gonna try to pull the crank pulley tomorrow if my friend brings over his air compressor and impact wrench. The electric impact wrench just didn't cut it at all.

I still don't know which pulley jumped the tooth, but if I were to guess I'd say the exhaust one, since that one looks to be behind compared to the intake pulley. Please let me know if my logic is correct. Thanks!
Old 08-28-10, 03:41 AM
soarer13oy
Lexus Champion

The grooves on the cam gear should line up to the marks on the indentations on the black metal piece behind the gear. Im not sure if those are your markings or the factory markings, but the 2jz has all the markings which makes timing pretty easy. You can probably adjust the timing without taking the crank pulley off just turn the crank into tdc adjust the cams to the correct postion and reinstall the belt. If the tensioner is the same as the 2jz i believe this would be possible. I apologize if the 1jz and 2jz are different.
Old 08-28-10, 07:20 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

When I said pulley, I was referring to the tensioner pulley.

I remember seeing in another thread where a guy tried to run a 2J tensioner pulley and it wouldn't work on his 1J because they have different offsets. Then you chimed in and said it worked fine for you.

Maybe it has something to do with the different offset effecting the tensioning capability is what I was getting at.

Just a thought...
Old 08-28-10, 07:23 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Here is the post I was referencing: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/4215161-post28.html
Old 08-28-10, 10:14 AM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Here is the post I was referencing: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/4215161-post28.html
Thats pretty creative. I just hope my tensioner isn't shot. It would suck having to go through all that. I think I thought he was referring to the serpentine belt tensioner though. I'm using the one off my 2jz-ge. My bad.

Oh and whats the best way to turn the engine to TDC? I tried turning it and it doesn't seem to want to budge. The car is not in gear or anything, so I don't know whats keeping it from moving.

Oh ya and the belt is only a year old, so that shouldn't be the problem. I went into napa today to see about another belt just in case and they wanted 57 bucks for it. I'll probably just keep using this one. It'll probably last a few more years until I have to change it again.

Last edited by OneJay; 08-28-10 at 10:18 AM.
Old 08-28-10, 11:44 AM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Well i got it to TDC, and noticed this:
Name:  photo-109.jpg
Views: 11336
Size:  131.9 KB

The one on the left is one tooth more counter-clockwise than the one on the right, but aren't the cam gears supposed to be straight up and down at TDC?
Old 08-28-10, 11:44 AM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

yea that DEFINITLY doesn't look right. Really if you're going as far down as the timing belt you might as well replace that to rule it out.

Also regarding the timing tensioner, it maybe possible that switching the pulley will throw it off, but i would think that running around like this for so long it wouldn't have been a problem. Maybe it's the actual hydraulic tensioner.

Last edited by StiCk3; 08-28-10 at 11:48 AM.
Old 08-28-10, 12:01 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by OneJay
Thats pretty creative. I just hope my tensioner isn't shot. It would suck having to go through all that. I think I thought he was referring to the serpentine belt tensioner though. I'm using the one off my 2jz-ge. My bad.

Oh and whats the best way to turn the engine to TDC? I tried turning it and it doesn't seem to want to budge. The car is not in gear or anything, so I don't know whats keeping it from moving.

Oh ya and the belt is only a year old, so that shouldn't be the problem. I went into napa today to see about another belt just in case and they wanted 57 bucks for it. I'll probably just keep using this one. It'll probably last a few more years until I have to change it again.
If it's too hard to turn, you can pull the plugs to relieve the compression.

Quick Reply: Timing belt jumped a tooth. Now what?