Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

92 Sc400 Code 25 Air Fuel Ratio Lean Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-10, 01:52 AM
818_sc4
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 Sc400 Code 25 Air Fuel Ratio Lean Malfunction

WTF is that??? lol I just checked for codes and this is what comes up.. Whats sets it off?? My car runs crazy rich and burns alot of gas. Anyone have a solution to this.. I got a long trip im taking my car on so any help would be appreciated.. I did do a search, i got iacv(idle air control valve) anyone find something else that might be faulty??
Old 08-19-10, 07:35 AM
1995Lexusc
Pole Position

iac could be dirty or a bad O2Sensor
Old 08-19-10, 10:32 AM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

exhaust leak
Old 08-20-10, 12:03 AM
sadwafair3
Driver School Candidate

i just had a full tune up done (timing belt,water pump,belt tensioner,caps,rotors,plugs,wires,and coils) and still having this problem.now waiting on low coolant sensor to come.{caution dont drive it as right now you'll burn up catalyc converters
Old 08-20-10, 02:22 AM
sc-driver
Lexus Test Driver

That could be so many things. You need to start with how your car is acting, and do some deductions from that.

Just from that code, it could be the IACV, a vacuum leak, bad pcv valve, dirty/bad injectors, dirty air filter, exhaust leak, bad maf, bad O2 sensor, broken/open dipstick plug, fuel pressure loss somewhere, or simply bad gas (too much moisture in your fuel lines).....

To check IACV. Have car warmed up and at idle. Turn the steering wheel. Does it almost stall?

To check vacuum leak. Buy a can of Brake Cleaner and gently spray your hoses while the car is running. If idle changes then you found your leak. Do the same for the pcv valve.

To find an exhaust leak. Seafoam the car through the brake booster. When its time to turn on have someone check the exhaust pipes for white smoke. That'll tell you where the exhaust leak is at.

To find out if its the injectors. Reset the ecu and let the car warm up. When it's fully warm is the idle really really low? Does the car shake a little?

To clean the maf. Since your car is a 92-95, clean it with compressed air, electric parts cleaner, or VERY gently with alcohol. Do not use the hotwire maf cleaner from the store.

It's easy to check the filter/gas...

To check the O2 sensor, this would be the last thing to look at. (Process of deduction) If everything else is good then it might be the O2 sensors.

Last edited by sc-driver; 08-20-10 at 02:23 PM.
Old 08-22-10, 11:43 PM
818_sc4
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sc-driver
That could be so many things. You need to start with how your car is acting, and do some deductions from that.

Just from that code, it could be the IACV, a vacuum leak, bad pcv valve, dirty/bad injectors, dirty air filter, exhaust leak, bad maf, bad O2 sensor, broken/open dipstick plug, fuel pressure loss somewhere, or simply bad gas (too much moisture in your fuel lines).....

To check IACV. Have car warmed up and at idle. Turn the steering wheel. Does it almost stall?

To check vacuum leak. Buy a can of Brake Cleaner and gently spray your hoses while the car is running. If idle changes then you found your leak. Do the same for the pcv valve.

To find an exhaust leak. Seafoam the car through the brake booster. When its time to turn on have someone check the exhaust pipes for white smoke. That'll tell you where the exhaust leak is at.

To find out if its the injectors. Reset the ecu and let the car warm up. When it's fully warm is the idle really really low? Does the car shake a little?

To clean the maf. Since your car is a 92-95, clean it with compressed air, electric parts cleaner, or VERY gently with alcohol. Do not use the hotwire maf cleaner from the store.

To check the O2 sensor, this would be the last thing to look at. (Process of deduction) If everything else is good then it might be the O2 sensors.
I will definately do that.. thanks a bunch.. I replaced 2 upstream o2 sensors since my mpg was real low.. Like 10 mpg if i was lucky.. the outcome is way better. More like normal.. If anyone can get a diagram for the vacuum lines on my 92 sc400 it would be greatly appreciated.. now i just have a little hiccup between 2-3 rpm im guessing tps?
Old 03-21-14, 11:11 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

sorry to bring this back from the grave but i got the same code and my car runs fine, sometimes a weird idle so ill check the IACV first and then MAF. i got a 92 SC400 btw any ideas on what else it could be and where to get some O2 sensors cz i dont think these have ever been replaced, car has 215k miles so they're probably in bad shape.
Old 03-21-14, 11:23 PM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i just recently had this code. changed all my 02's and it went away.

best best for 02's is oem or denso. i went denso was cheaper and the same product

check rockauto.com
Old 03-22-14, 04:21 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

If the o2's dont fix it, and if the ECU has never been touched, I'd say the ECU is the issue. Miles dont really matter on the car, it's the age, and those capacitors leak in 20 years. Probably need a rebuild.
Old 02-08-17, 08:48 PM
1UZFEZ30
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sc-driver

Sorry for grave digging but any insight would be greatly appreciated. I just got this code the day after buying mine. It didn't behave out of the norm aside from (my) usual random idleling misfire and misfire under 1/4 throttle in 4th between 1200-1900rpms(not sure if that's relevant to the code). But I was on the highway with low gas and was trying to push it as far as I felt comfortable before stopping for gas. Gas light came on and I kept driving for about 10-15 miles after the light came on and then I noticed the check light had come on at some point. Stopped for gas and filled up. Searched and I found this thread but wanted to see if it was possible that me pushing the car to run low on gas(even though I didn't feel any sputtering from low fuel) could have had something to do with the code being thrown?