Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Rear main seal leak fixed for $6 vs $2300

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-10, 11:24 PM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome thread!

P.S. joking of course

Last edited by BartleDoo; 08-18-10 at 10:29 AM.
Old 08-18-10, 12:10 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts

I might have to try this since I just found out my rear main seal is leaking.
Old 08-18-10, 01:02 AM
TroySC300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kira X
I might have to try this since I just found out my rear main seal is leaking.
My rear main seal leaked on my auto sc300 for over a year and never got any worse. Just check your oil regularly and don't stress.
Old 08-18-10, 01:28 AM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

give me your car and 700 bucks ill do it. good day troll!
Old 08-18-10, 07:16 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

these fix it things always had scared me. it clogs the seals in your car, fine, what else is it doing?

I replaced mine on my own, $20 part from Toyota, $5 black RTV and a bit of labor, well worth it.
Old 08-18-10, 08:57 AM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RedPhoenix
these fix it things always had scared me. it clogs the seals in your car, fine, what else is it doing?

I replaced mine on my own, $20 part from Toyota, $5 black RTV and a bit of labor, well worth it.
Agreed. If it swells the worn rear main seal to the point of sealing, does that mean that it OVER-swells all the other working and un-worn seals to the point of being too tight and developing leaks??!!?
Old 08-18-10, 10:06 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't know man. For the labor and parts of a rear main seal, you
might as well get another engine. Lower mileage 2JZGE's are all over the place
these days for cheap. I've been calculating all of my required & very recent future engine maintenance (timing belt/WP, rear main seal, etc) and it's really
adding up.
Old 08-18-10, 10:24 AM
SChema
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TroySC300
My rear main seal leaked on my auto sc300 for over a year and never got any worse. Just check your oil regularly and don't stress.
Same here. Mine has leaked ever since I've had it and I know it has leaked previously. I would say at least 2 years now. The leak has slowed, not sure what I did. All I've done is change the oil and filter every 3000.

I would never use additives to fix a problem; some have already mentioned, all it does is swells up seals to slow the leak. If you check your oil level often, I would say don't worry about the RMS until you actually have to pull the tranny for service and then replace the seal. I've seen a lot of rear main leaks, don't ever remember seeing one going completely bad.
Old 08-18-10, 10:56 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Tabaka
I don't know man. For the labor and parts of a rear main seal, you
might as well get another engine. Lower mileage 2JZGE's are all over the place
these days for cheap. I've been calculating all of my required & very recent future engine maintenance (timing belt/WP, rear main seal, etc) and it's really
adding up.
How low of a mileage engine would you swap in? My SC has 99,000 miles and my rear main seal is leaking.

Originally Posted by 3Rotor
Same here. Mine has leaked ever since I've had it and I know it has leaked previously. I would say at least 2 years now. The leak has slowed, not sure what I did. All I've done is change the oil and filter every 3000.

I would never use additives to fix a problem; some have already mentioned, all it does is swells up seals to slow the leak. If you check your oil level often, I would say don't worry about the RMS until you actually have to pull the tranny for service and then replace the seal. I've seen a lot of rear main leaks, don't ever remember seeing one going completely bad.
How long have you had your SC? The rear main seal thing kind of scares me since my SC has relatively low mileage for it's age. Is the rear main seal something that is on the transmission or an engine. I plan on doing an R154 swap later on so I could fix it then.
Old 08-18-10, 11:16 AM
SChema
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kira X
How long have you had your SC? The rear main seal thing kind of scares me since my SC has relatively low mileage for it's age. Is the rear main seal something that is on the transmission or an engine. I plan on doing an R154 swap later on so I could fix it then.
I've had mine about a year and a half. The rear main seal is part of the engine. Honestly, I would just wait if you plan on swapping over to the 154. I thought about replacing my RMS when I first got the car but knew I was going to be swapping over some things over the next few years and just left it alone. Just monitor your oil level and add to it if needed.

Last edited by SChema; 08-18-10 at 01:00 PM.
Old 08-18-10, 12:55 PM
BenStoked
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 3Rotor
I've had mine about a year and a half. The rear main seal is part the engine. Honestly, I would just wait if you plan on swapping over the the154. I thought about replacing my RMS when I first got the car but knew I was going to be swapping over some things over the next few years and just left it alone. Just monitor your oil level and add to it if needed.
agreed. 99.9% of the work will happen at that time (removal of the trans and flex plate). shouldn't be but a couple of extra minutes of work after that.
if you were to fix it now, it would be around 5 hours (or more) of work. (and you still would need to swap the trans, later.
Old 08-18-10, 02:00 PM
PanicUnit
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, some rlly hilarious replies near the start.
The mechanic said it was leaking in at least one other place too, and either he couldn't tell or it didn't matter in comparison to the RMS leak. And the bottle's fine print basically says it fixes most oil leaks, but specifically formulated for the RMS.

From the actual advice and people not accusing me of trolling*, sounds like the thing to do is keep checking the oil, especially if i smell it burning all the time again, and wait until I need a trans swap/rebuild before getting the RMS replaced. The other leak is hopefully something easy like a valve cover gasket, but thats wishful thinking cuz i think the mechanic said it was something lower down.

*Whats with all the trolling s***? did this place recently get hacked & owned or something, or are internet forums just finally at the point now where nobody can ever be taken seriously anywhere, ever again?

Last edited by PanicUnit; 08-18-10 at 02:05 PM.
Old 08-18-10, 02:04 PM
PanicUnit
Driver School Candidate

Now I just gotta get my pass. window to work again and my car will be in great shape... I think I tried searching for a thread already but didn't find a good one. Gonna just browse old threads when I get more time, but if anyone remembers a recent topic about diagnosing & repairing pwr windows (for 95 sc300) I'd appreciate a link! I'm alot more DIY capable with electrical issues than mechanical.

Last edited by PanicUnit; 08-18-10 at 02:14 PM.
Old 08-18-10, 02:06 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,125 Likes on 1,296 Posts

Originally Posted by PanicUnit

*Whats with all the trolling s***? did this place recently get hacked & owned or something, or are internet forums just finally at the point now where nobody can ever be taken seriously anywhere, ever again?
CL gets hit with well over 100 spammers a week.

95% of them members never see because we have some smart automated spam tools both for signup and for validation that you're a "real person" not a bot.

The other 5% the moderator team catches, or I see suspicious stuff in their member profile at signup and do a pre-emptive ban or our fine members report the spam posts.

I didn't think you were a spammer because you didn't give a link to purchase (as well as your profile info, IP info, etc). But betcha I checked you out and with good reason

Last edited by DaveGS4; 08-18-10 at 02:09 PM.
Old 08-18-10, 02:07 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

and this will solve hyper blink, and slow/sluggish blinkers:

http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main...&products_id=6

or mabey the inside of your engine needs to be cleaned...?

http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main...&products_id=7

or the ultimate, one and only go fast part:

http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main...products_id=28

Point is, some additives are like the "performance chips" on ebay that are nothing more than a scam. Yes some may work, for a little while, but they are simply temporary bandaids. Do it right, do it once..

Quick Reply: Rear main seal leak fixed for $6 vs $2300