Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Can a novice change plugs wires?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-10, 07:56 AM
FireCode
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can a novice change plugs wires?

Found this tutorial...http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/ignition/sparkplugs.html
Have any other novices changed the plugs wires? Cap and rotor looks a little more hairy so I may leave that to someone else. Someone tell me I can do this haha 95 SC400

Last edited by FireCode; 08-12-10 at 08:19 AM.
Old 08-12-10, 08:00 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Its pretty simple and straight forward. Loosen the TB (there are 6 bolts, 4on the TB, and 2 on a bracket underneath it, 12mm IIRC), simply slide it towards the passenger side of the car and you will have enough room to reach everything.
Old 08-12-10, 08:20 AM
FireCode
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by turbodremz
Its pretty simple and straight forward. Loosen the TB (there are 6 bolts, 4on the TB, and 2 on a bracket underneath it, 12mm IIRC), simply slide it towards the passenger side of the car and you will have enough room to reach everything.
Is this for an SC300? Looking at the tutorial and my engine, it looks like the whole air intake up to the throttle body will need to be removed.
Old 08-12-10, 08:52 AM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ya I think he's talking about the 300. Removing the intake parts is easy. It's just a matter of remembering to put everything back where it went. Thats where I run into all my problems.
Old 08-12-10, 08:56 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FireCode
Is this for an SC300? Looking at the tutorial and my engine, it looks like the whole air intake up to the throttle body will need to be removed.
Yup for the 300. I have done my plugs/wires several times and not once completely removed the throttle body. Hardest part was the rear coolant line that needed to be disconnected, but all the vacuum lines stayed. I only pull the TB out approx 3 inches from its seat and can reach the plugs/wires just fine.

Originally Posted by OneJay
Ya I think he's talking about the 300. Removing the intake parts is easy. It's just a matter of remembering to put everything back where it went. Thats where I run into all my problems.
This is why I force myself to NOT remove everything..gold-fish have me beat on short memory span
Old 08-12-10, 09:51 AM
FireCode
Lexus Test Driver

Yup for the 300. I have done my plugs/wires several times and not once completely removed the throttle body. Hardest part was the rear coolant line that needed to be disconnected, but all the vacuum lines stayed. I only pull the TB out approx 3 inches from its seat and can reach the plugs/wires just fine.

This is why I force myself to NOT remove everything..gold-fish have me beat on short memory span
Located in or around Houston by any chance? I have an Sc400 though so it will be slightly different.
Old 08-12-10, 09:58 AM
JesLet
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It was really easy and at the second time it was much easier.

Remove TB and its plumbing and couple of harnesses/connectors and no.3 timing cover.

Make sure you slide the coolant hose under the TB when putting it back. I had a misfire issues because of leaking coolant in my spark plug area. You don't really want to waste $$$ on towing fees.
Old 08-12-10, 10:00 AM
JesLet
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nevermind you have a 1UZ, I believe it is way easier than 2JZ.
Old 08-12-10, 10:22 AM
FireCode
Lexus Test Driver

http://www.planetsoarer.com/penski/ThePenskiFile.html

Found this link too. I can turn a wrench. I just don't want to screw something up. Like you guys are saying, taking it apart is easy, it's putting it back on without having 5 screws leftover. I'm gonna try to bang this out this weekend. If anyone is close to College Station, Tx you're welcome to come over. I have plenty of space and parking (benefits of a new neighborhood) Plus I have a nice grill too
Old 08-12-10, 10:43 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Located in or around Houston by any chance? I have an Sc400 though so it will be slightly different.
actually I am in Houston..well Humble, but close enough. Problem though is I am very unfamiliar with the 1UZ, but sure it cant be that hard..I wouldnt mind heading that way to lend a hand, but my SC is in the balance of being finished or gutted..
Old 08-12-10, 10:53 AM
FireCode
Lexus Test Driver

actually I am in Houston..well Humble, but close enough. Problem though is I am very unfamiliar with the 1UZ, but sure it cant be that hard..I wouldnt mind heading that way to lend a hand, but my SC is in the balance of being finished or gutted..
That stinks man. I was hoping to see my first Turbo SC Well if you get super bored and want a steak and a beer, you know where to find me
Old 08-12-10, 10:56 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

If I can finish up the last few things, and get the GTE ecu finished up, I will head that way..BUT, you will more than likely be finished with the plugs. But if you head to the Texas Mile in Oct. you will have a good chance of seeing me there...but it may not be a 2JZ in my car..still turbo though(I love having secrets)
Old 08-12-10, 11:04 AM
FireCode
Lexus Test Driver

If I can finish up the last few things, and get the GTE ecu finished up, I will head that way..BUT, you will more than likely be finished with the plugs. But if you head to the Texas Mile in Oct. you will have a good chance of seeing me there...but it may not be a 2JZ in my car..still turbo though(I love having secrets)
Heck If I get finished, Im driving to see what you have! Only thing I can think of is a Corvette LS motor??
Old 08-12-10, 11:28 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Heck If I get finished, Im driving to see what you have! Only thing I can think of is a Corvette LS motor??
Well things are still being planned. The 2JZ is still in the car now, just not completely assembled..Still need a 90mm TB/TPS/GTE IAT and some other minor things..but if things go correctly, Ill just say your somewhat on the right track with your guess