Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

non intercooled stock comp boostin :)

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-10, 12:37 AM
rcsup1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default non intercooled stock comp boostin :)

So an update is due after my initial thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...s-old-car.html

I have since added the meth/water injection and have experimented with various nozzle mix setups... to many to remember..lol.. As the car sits now I'm running a 90 /10 mix of meth to water 3gph nozzle pre turbo to come on at 3psi and a 5 gph pre throttle body to come on at 11psi on a 200psi pump. The fmu is set up at a 2 to 1 ratio 2 lbs of fuel pressure per lb of boost and I am running 14psi or so of boost "stock comp" .... I have added a vpc since I had it lying around from my supra build and an apexi ITC timing controller..

IMPORTANT NOTES the so called timing ramp up that I have heard about does not occur at 4000 rpm rather at 5500 or so I know this because this was the only time the car would detonate prior to me retarding the timing.. This at a 10.5 a/f ratio running meth... I have actually dialed in more timing at 4000 rpm with no detonation thus far. The engine also leans out at about 5500 rpm till redline and this is where the most fuel must be added.

I am tuning with a vpc440 chip/ gcc combo and stock 330cc injectors.. I have to dial back almost all the fuel on the gcc in the 2400 to 4000 rpm range and max it out at 5600 rpm i'm sure once I get an safc i'll be able to dial it in better...
.The biggest limiting factor is the factory auto since it likes to bounce off the rev limiter despite me maxing out the the tps which helped tremendously. Im working on swaping out for a jdm tt set up in the near future.

If you have any questions let me know.

Last edited by rcsup1; 08-07-10 at 12:45 AM.
Old 08-07-10, 10:41 AM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rcsup1

I am tuning with a vpc440 chip/ gcc combo and stock 330cc injectors.. .
I didn't read your earlier thread, but I'm curious . . . why is it that you are using the stock injectors?
Old 08-07-10, 11:31 AM
rcsup1
Driver

Didnt want to go through the cost and hassle of installing the 440's and so far I dont need them for this set up.
Old 08-07-10, 01:08 PM
imDementeD
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

im curious to see what kind of power ur making without an IC
Old 08-07-10, 01:26 PM
Rising_Sun
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice build. I have a similar setup with an intercooler running a MAPECU controlling my fuel and Meth injection. I'm surprised you even need the RFPR. I had 2 friends use that CARTECH FPR and it caused the injectors to stay open all the time. Good luck with your build. I'd love to see a dyno graph.
Old 08-07-10, 10:24 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by imDementeD
im curious to see what kind of power ur making without an IC
I'm wondering what kind of power he's able to make with just those 330cc injectors
Old 08-08-10, 01:44 AM
rcsup1
Driver

Considering I have the fmu and meth I'm good for quite a bit of power .. According to ets (they marketed a kit with only a fmu as fuel enrichment) the stock 330's at 100 psi fuel pressure are good for 500 hp by themselves...

Based on some races againts 370z's and m3's I've had I should be at about 350 that was at 10 psi.. havent raced anything at 14 psi yet.
Old 08-08-10, 01:49 AM
rcsup1
Driver

I only need it because the gcc is very limited in tuning... with out the fmu it would cause the motor to run to lean for my taste "12.0 afr" as it gets redline. even so I have dailed back as far as it can go at a 2 to 1 ratio .. with the safc i should be able to lose it all together.

Originally Posted by Rising_Sun
Nice build. I have a similar setup with an intercooler running a MAPECU controlling my fuel and Meth injection. I'm surprised you even need the RFPR. I had 2 friends use that CARTECH FPR and it caused the injectors to stay open all the time. Good luck with your build. I'd love to see a dyno graph.
Old 08-08-10, 02:35 AM
lfrers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you have a boost gauge & wideband?
You going to dyno?
Old 08-08-10, 09:46 AM
rcsup1
Driver

Yes of course..lol I have a plx boost gauge, wideband and a fuel pressure gauge.. Not planing to go the dyno anytime soon this is my dd and I have other more important priorities unfortunately.
Old 08-08-10, 11:02 AM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

IDK, maybe it's just a difference in build philosophy, but I always prefer to keep it simple and use the appropriate parts whenever possible. Running undersize injectors with all the electronics and gadgetry to trick/tweak them into a proper tune just seems like the long way around the block (if it's even possible), especially for a daily driver.
I agree with some others here, in that I'd love to see a dyno graph of this...but NOT just to look for big numbers. I'm really not trying to rag on your build here; just bit confused about this overall, but then there's lots I've yet to learn.
Old 08-08-10, 11:46 AM
rcsup1
Driver

No man your absolutely right.. My goal here initially was to turbo the car with minimal cost and keeping it as simple as possible just to show that it could be done without the expense of all the other items normally associated with turboing these cars under 10psi:
I.E intercooler, blow off valve, electronics etc...

I was just doing a low boost system for a little extra power..I ran the car like this with no electronics just the FPR at 9/10 psi and it ran great with no issues except for very minor stalling at low speed on occasion and it had great driveability. In addition the stock comp and 10 inches of charge air piping create some nice low end torq..

The stock injectors are good to about 330/50 hp with just an safc and factory fuel pressure...So you dont need to change them unless your exceeding that.... That being said the meth is also fuel and causes the car to run much richer so you could exceed those number by spraying it.

Now being the mod freak I am decided to push a bit further and experiment with things I already had around to see how they would work. VPC/gcc, ITC and an extra meth nozzle..

Next steps are an safc 2 for better fine tuning and eventually an intercooler with bov.. I first want to get and intake air temp gauge to see what kind of diffrence the intercooler will make on top of the water/meth.. Got other priorties now though so it'll be a while.
Old 08-08-10, 01:18 PM
Rising_Sun
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you considered getting the MAPECU? It will repalce the VPC/gcc,AFC for less money.

Last edited by Rising_Sun; 03-10-11 at 03:52 PM.
Old 01-09-11, 09:43 AM
lfrers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Update please. How is this setup running?
Old 01-09-11, 10:58 AM
rcsup1
Driver

Flawless !

Quick Reply: non intercooled stock comp boostin :)