Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

92' SC300 - Car shaking a lot and white smoke out of exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-10, 05:53 PM
rootaku
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92' SC300 - Car shaking a lot and white smoke out of exhaust

HELP!

I was driving normally when my car started to just shake randomly and a lot.

White smoke starting to come out of the exhaust and the fumes from the smoke smell like gasoline.

The car shakes a lot a lot, when dirivng and when I idle as it dips under 1 RPM, shaking is a lot stronger and the car kicks itself back up to a higher rpm.

There is no check engine a lot on when driving, managed to get home and the white smoke wasn't as bad, but there is still quite a lot as I turned off the car, there are still fumes of white smoke slowly coming out of it.

I tried to do a code check, but all it did was blink the check engine light and OD light, it never paused or anything to see if there was a code, maybe I did it wrong? I connected terminals TE1 and E1 with a safety pin cause I couldn't find a paper clip or some wire to connect it.

My radiator fluid is normal, but I havent checked it in a while and my power steering level is low, haven't checked in a while also. A friend mentioned it could be a leak from them but I'm uncertain.

I need some help if possible or direction to what to do, please.

Last edited by rootaku; 08-03-10 at 06:02 PM.
Old 08-03-10, 06:11 PM
Vintage91
Driver School Candidate

Sounds like a leaking('blown') headgasket.

It's likely slowly consuming coolant, nothing you'd notice too much right now, in regards to your mentioning your coolant level.

Take it to a shop (or a friend with the knowhow and equipment), and have them perform a cylinder leak down test to rule out your headgasket.

Other likely causes are power steering fluid consumption (do a search here for more info on that known SC issue) or transmission fluid.

Last edited by Vintage91; 08-03-10 at 06:15 PM.
Old 08-03-10, 06:20 PM
rootaku
Rookie

I also haven't replaced my spark plugs in a while and I'm due for an oil change, would that cause the symptoms I'm having with the car?
Old 08-03-10, 06:24 PM
SChema
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a headgasket to me as well. You can pull the plugs and compare them to each other; plugs can tell you a lot about an engine.
Old 08-03-10, 06:28 PM
shonuff53
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

the power steering thing is if hoses have been swapped on the little vacuum fitting on the power steering pump banjo fitting regulator. hard to tell what it might be with out more info. do all your fluid level checks and look for anything not normal ie oil in the radiator, or water on your dipstick. And look around everywhere check for leaks things broken, loose, missing, exploded etc etc also disconnect the breather hose on the valve cover and tell if there is a lot of smoke coming out. Are there any strange noises that weren't there before, has there been any recent maintenance performed? what kind of fuel have you put in it lately? all this info will help people here help you determine what you got. good luck, hopefully its something small and quick fix.
Old 08-03-10, 06:54 PM
rootaku
Rookie

Originally Posted by shonuff53
the power steering thing is if hoses have been swapped on the little vacuum fitting on the power steering pump banjo fitting regulator. hard to tell what it might be with out more info. do all your fluid level checks and look for anything not normal ie oil in the radiator, or water on your dipstick. And look around everywhere check for leaks things broken, loose, missing, exploded etc etc also disconnect the breather hose on the valve cover and tell if there is a lot of smoke coming out. Are there any strange noises that weren't there before, has there been any recent maintenance performed? what kind of fuel have you put in it lately? all this info will help people here help you determine what you got. good luck, hopefully its something small and quick fix.
I'm not sure what the breather hose is on the valve cover? There are some strange noises I never heard before, when I turn off the car now usually it sounds like winds down a little and shuts off and now it when I turn it off it just shuts off right away, and theres a small hissing noise I believe when I turn off the car also

I've been putting 91 from costco, My car died recently due to an ongoing problem with my battery, acid build up happens and the car doesn't turn on, I cleaned the battery and terminals and it starts up again.

I have been losing oil slowly over the past few months or so, but I hardly ever seen any oil dripping down off onto the ground. I recently added more 10-30 oil into my car to get it back up to full. But I'm still due for a oil change. The oil is getting pretty dark

I checked the oil dip stick right now and it seemed normal, I couldn't really tell if there was anything that seemed like anything else besides oil.

--------

My car has cooled down a bit now and my power steering fluid is UNDER the cold area now, the fluid comes up about an inch on the dipstick. BUT I just noticed that the color of the power steering fluid looks like the color of clean oil.. I'm sure it was suppose to a dark red that I normally use which was a syn ATF but I can't say for sure. I thought for a second it could be my oil but my current oil is pretty dark and this is light.
Old 08-03-10, 08:11 PM
frankdms
Pole Position

White smoke could also be a fuel issue. Raw HC's can be easy to mistake for a HG problem. Does the ex smell like raw fuel? You can pull the plugs to see if they are coolant soaked or fuel fouled. I had a random problem with the injector driver in my Sc3 and at times would smoke white when the injectors would hold open.

Best way to see if it has a blown HG is a gas sniffer- (get a friend at a shop with one)look for a 70 ppm or greater reading in the cooling system (sniff above the open radiator) *BE CAREFULL NOT TO SUCK UP COOLANT!* good luck!
Old 08-03-10, 08:14 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rootaku
HELP!

I was driving normally when my car started to just shake randomly and a lot.

White smoke starting to come out of the exhaust and the fumes from the smoke smell like gasoline.

The car shakes a lot a lot, when dirivng and when I idle as it dips under 1 RPM, shaking is a lot stronger and the car kicks itself back up to a higher rpm.

There is no check engine a lot on when driving, managed to get home and the white smoke wasn't as bad, but there is still quite a lot as I turned off the car, there are still fumes of white smoke slowly coming out of it.

I tried to do a code check, but all it did was blink the check engine light and OD light, it never paused or anything to see if there was a code, maybe I did it wrong? I connected terminals TE1 and E1 with a safety pin cause I couldn't find a paper clip or some wire to connect it.

My radiator fluid is normal, but I havent checked it in a while and my power steering level is low, haven't checked in a while also. A friend mentioned it could be a leak from them but I'm uncertain.

I need some help if possible or direction to what to do, please.
Hmmm....I dunno why everyone is jumping on the blown HG idea. SOunds to me more like a fuel management issue (too rich) for whatever reason. ECU took a dump maybe?
$.02
Old 08-03-10, 08:15 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by frankdms
White smoke could also be a fuel issue. Raw HC's can be easy to mistake for a HG problem. Does the ex smell like raw fuel? You can pull the plugs to see if they are coolant soaked or fuel fouled. I had a random problem with the injector driver in my Sc3 and at times would smoke white when the injectors would hold open.

Best way to see if it has a blown HG is a gas sniffer- (get a friend at a shop with one)look for a 70 ppm or greater reading in the cooling system (sniff above the open radiator) *BE CAREFULL NOT TO SUCK UP COOLANT!* good luck!
haha, you must type faster than me. lol
Old 08-03-10, 08:38 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

have you checked your oil? milky? what do the fumes smell like? a rich condition that bad would absolutely stink of gasoline..is the smoke pure white? or does it have a blueish tint?
Old 08-04-10, 04:59 AM
S142jz
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ALL OF YOU ARE WRONG.

I've been threw this. It's your ECU. One capacitor is blown and keeps one injector open. That's why you get all the raw fuel.
The following users liked this post:
kylecooper (12-20-19)
Old 08-04-10, 07:52 AM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by S142jz

ALL OF YOU ARE WRONG.

I've been threw this. It's your ECU. One capacitor is blown and keeps one injector open. That's why you get all the raw fuel.
Ease your roll there, Skippy

Originally Posted by good2go
Hmmm....I dunno why everyone is jumping on the blown HG idea. SOunds to me more like a fuel management issue (too rich) for whatever reason. ECU took a dump maybe?
$.02
Old 08-04-10, 08:05 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by S142jz
ALL OF YOU ARE WRONG.

dont be the forum psychic..could be the HG, could be a bad injector, could be the FPR...calm down, no need for CAPS to make your point.
Old 08-04-10, 11:54 AM
rootaku
Rookie

Honestly, I hope its the ECU. but uh a small update, when I turn the key to the start/on position, I hear 2 clicks, every single time. Not sure whats making the clicking noise but its always two. But it's new since yesterday.

I'm going to get the car looked at tomorrow and I guess I'll find out for sure what it is.. thanks for all the insight guys
Old 08-04-10, 03:18 PM
Gspec
Lead Lap

I went through the same thing....thought it was a bad injector (#5 was wide open, dumping fuel) turned out to be the ecu.

Quick Reply: 92' SC300 - Car shaking a lot and white smoke out of exhaust