Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

A/T shifter vibration rattle, possible improved "fix"

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-14, 01:41 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 226 Likes on 206 Posts
Default A/T shifter vibration rattle, possible improved "fix"

I've previously wrapped some electrical tape around the plastic cover that slips over the two set screws at the bottom of the shifter, so as to keep it from vibrating against the surround. That sort of worked, but it really didn't address the root of the problem very well, which is the side-to-side play in the shifter assembly. I have the replacement bushings (only $1.50 or so from Sewell) for whenever I decide to dig deep into that area to swap them out, but that seems like a lot of work...

While looking things over for some shift **** replacement ideas, I noticed what looks to be the source of most of the vibration. The metal right side piece that the gear release rod locks into appears to be what the shaft hits against due to the play at its base. In the below pictures, you can see the side-to-side play in that section, as well as my fix: a piece of padded double-sided tape, held firmly in place by a few wrappings of electrical tape. That takes most of the play out of the assembly and keeps from having metal-on-metal contact.

There's still some clunking down at the base from the worn bushings, but hopefully that'll be minimal compared to what it was. I also noticed that there's a lot of creakiness from the black plastic housing around the shifter, which possibly contributes to the overall vibration noises when driving. I slid the rubbery piece out that fills the gap around the shifter and added some grease where it slides along the housing's grooves. That made a huge difference! I have epoxy drying on the cracked screw holes, so I haven't put it back in yet for a road test. I'll report back in a few hours.
Attached Thumbnails A/T shifter vibration rattle, possible improved "fix"-shifter-vibration-rattle.jpg  
Old 11-10-14, 02:27 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Good temporary fix, but when I fix my shifter rattle on my 92 SC, I'm going all out on new bushings.
Old 11-10-14, 02:34 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SC400slide
Good temporary fix, but when I fix my shifter rattle on my 92 SC, I'm going all out on new bushings.
Ditto, but have you looked at how intensive of a replacement that is? The bushings themselves are an afterthought price-wise.

I got it all buttoned back up and will be hitting the road shortly. With everything back in place, it feels like I've addressed metal contact to the right (pushing the shift **** that direction) but not to the left. To do likewise for that side would probably mean putting some sort of pad under the left side of the upside down T of the shift lever, to keep it from dropping to the left and clunking on metal. It goes into a sleeve of some sort on that side that is probably where one of the bushings is supposed to hold it in place. (They're little rubber cups.) I probably should have looked to see if there was enough room to slide a felt pad under there before putting it all back together... The lower right screw on the black plastic surround is a PITA to get to, being covered up by the center console and the base that it screws into -- no direct line of access -- and not something I'm dying to re-do just for a re-check.
Old 11-10-14, 04:42 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

It actually worked way better than I expected or even hoped for. At everything up to 50 mph, there's no longer any discernible vibration. I won't know beyond that until taking it out on the highway.
Old 11-11-14, 09:51 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Whisper quiet up to 60 mph; awaiting further/faster testing. I'm inclined to call this a permanent fix!
Old 11-12-14, 11:39 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

will this fix the forward and back slop that mine has? it's so annoying that i can wiggle it back and forth.
Old 11-12-14, 11:43 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by oldManTan
will this fix the forward and back slop that mine has? it's so annoying that i can wiggle it back and forth.
Doubtful, but I bet if you open it up you'll be able to see the cause of the slop under that little black plastic housing. There are a few moving parts related to the button lock-out and gear selection that could affect front-to-back movement.
Old 11-13-14, 04:31 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

I'll look into it, report back here
Old 11-20-14, 06:20 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Tested it out at...highway speeds today and there's no vibration from the shifter. Admittedly, it's treating the symptoms and not the illness, but...

Old 10-24-15, 01:28 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Not quite a year later, the shifter is starting to vibrate again. I haven't opened it up yet to see if my fix deteriorated or if something new is causing it. My guess would be the slider that surrounds the shifter is getting creaky again and needs re-greasing.
Old 10-25-15, 07:45 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Originally Posted by t2d2
Ditto, but have you looked at how intensive of a replacement that is? The bushings themselves are an afterthought price-wise.
Recently replaced the bushings myself and made a DIY. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...ter-shake.html
Did it 3 times on all 3 of my SC's. Took me less than an hour. Pretty easy to replace, just a lot of stuff that has to be removed.

Bushings were about 4 bucks from the dealership.
Old 10-25-15, 09:47 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Recently replaced the bushings myself and made a DIY.
We've had this conversation previously.

Took me less than an hour.
Bushings were about 4 bucks from the dealership.
Is that really all it took? It looks like a half-a-day project. I've already got the bushings.
Old 10-25-15, 02:26 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

We've had this conversation previously.

Is that really all it took? It looks like a half-a-day project. I've already got the bushings.
In the DIY you'll read that it took me "about 2 hours for each car", definitely not half a day. The third took me less than an hour. Really, it's not hard at all.
Old 10-25-15, 02:34 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

In the DIY you'll read that it took me "about 2 hours for each car", definitely not half a day. The third took me less than an hour. Really, it's not hard at all.
Yeah, but I'm very distrustful of people's time estimates when it comes to car projects. For example, you went from "took me less than an hour" to "about 2 hours for each car." Doing the third one faster isn't really indicative of what it'll take someone on their first try, now is it? I find that people usually estimate time from a wishful thinking standpoint, and the actual amount is at least double that stated.

Besides, I haven't confirmed yet that I even need to address the shifter bushings... Still gotta test if quieting down the plastic slider for the second time will do the trick.
Old 10-25-15, 03:34 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Yeah, but I'm very distrustful of people's time estimates when it comes to car projects. For example, you went from "took me less than an hour" to "about 2 hours for each car." Doing the third one faster isn't really indicative of what it'll take someone on their first try, now is it? I find that people usually estimate time from a wishful thinking standpoint, and the actual amount is at least double that stated.

Besides, I haven't confirmed yet that I even need to address the shifter bushings... Still gotta test if quieting down the plastic slider for the second time will do the trick.
When you do something 3 times, the third result will be much faster than the rest. For me, in this case, it took me a little more than 2 hours the first time, a little less than 2 hours the second, and less than one hour on the third. Once you've done it once, its easier to do it again.