Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1jz swap questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-10, 12:25 PM
SuicidnS13
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Default 1jz swap questions

Ok guys its about time for me to hit that "Add to Cart" button on my swap purchase so before I blow another 2k I have a few questions.

Supra vs Soarer vs Chaser 1jz engines:

Sc300 is rear sump correct? Soarers and Chasers are front sump? Supra 1jz is rear sump? It seems as though every 1jz chaser/soarer swap I find is front sump. Will ordering a supra 1jz save me the hassle of having to swap out/drill out my factory oil pan/sump setup? I have a buyer lined up for my old long block.

Wiring/ECU:

I plan on sending my wiring out to either Dr. Tweak or MyJZswap.com. Does ordering a Supra swap vs a soarer/chaser swap add more labor costs to my wiring conversion? I also plan on running the plug and play Drift Motion Stinger EMS Setup. So a supra harness seems to work out better in this case. Do I have any other plug and play stand alone options? Power FC has been discontinued for a long time now and AEM isnt exactly plug and play and twice the price of the stinger.

Also how can I verify that the engine/harness they send me is for a supra other than the rear sump?

Thanks guys!!!
Old 08-01-10, 12:38 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Chaser is front sump, Supra and Soarer are rear sump.

You can tell the differences in the engines like this:
Soarer-Rear sump and mechanical fan water pump
Supra-Rear sump and hydrofan water pump
Chaser-Front sump and hydrofan water pump
Old 08-01-10, 12:52 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some corrections to your info...

The Soarers and Supras have rear sump pans while the Chasers have front sump pans. The oil pans can be swapped out of the Chaser's though with the one out of your SC300 2JZ (they bolt up).

From a wiring standpoint, stay away from the Supra ones, as they are VASTLY different from the chaser's and soarers wiring. The ECUs are different and none of the plugs come even close to matching up with the SC300 body harness unless you like to wire everything on your own. Chaser's are different, but can be made to work. Your best bet is to find a Soarer engine. The body plugs all plug in, but some minor rewiring may be needed depending on your year, tranny type, etc.

Also for an AEM EMS setup, some other members may chime in here, but a lot of high HP supras in my area had trouble with their EMS.
Old 08-01-10, 03:37 PM
vangb2
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't worry about the pan. If you happen to get one with a front pump, it will take you about 30-40 minutes to remove and swap your rear pan to the 1jz. If I remember it right, I think there are about 4 or 5 parts underneath the crank area that has to be swap out along with the pan.

Your going complete standalone? if so, don't worry about what model the engine comes from because your wiring is going to be redone anyway from the pro's. They'll know what connectors to delete. If you have bigger future goals and thinking of running auxiliary components, EMS 6860 is a good direction.

But before you get started, ask yourself what is your future goal for your vehicle? You can reduce cost in the long run by buying quality parts vs. cheap ebay knock off.