Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Fire In Two On One Side And Two On Other

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-10, 05:27 AM
Fastfwd
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fire In Two On One Side And Two On Other

Ok, I have had symptoms that I believed were the ignition coil from what I read here. The motor wouldn't start with the driver's side coil unplugged - well, a new coil on the passenger side didn't fix it.

I just checked all the plugs and I'm getting fire on the two middle cylinders on the passenger side and the two outer cylinders on the driver's side.

Does that narrow it down to the ECU?

Help!
Old 08-01-10, 12:05 PM
mptjimmy
Pole Position

SO you unplugged the driver side and it didint start, so you replaced the passengerside coil?? try replaceing the driver side , that didint work, what happen when you unplugged the passengerside coil and left the driver side in?
Old 08-01-10, 01:40 PM
Fastfwd
Driver

Ok, I just took another look……

The passenger side distributor fires the cylinders that aren’t getting spark……

I just assumed - passenger side distributor = passenger side fire, but no……

So, I have no clue of where this ‘igniter’ is in the mix of things, but if it comes before the ignition coil - then it has to be that passenger side distributor cap…… at least that’s what I’m hoping that it is.

Any advice on this you guys? I can’t believe that somebody on here can’t easily diagnose this and help me out.
Old 08-02-10, 02:05 AM
lolSC600
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Fastfwd
I can’t believe that somebody on here can’t easily diagnose this and help me out.
Really?

If you're not getting spark from the passenger side coil, then either it isn't getting power, or the spark from the coil isn't making it's way downstream. You can swap ignition modules to see if one is bad. But it could be the coil wire, distributor cap, or the ignition rotor as well.
Old 08-02-10, 08:40 AM
Fastfwd
Driver

Ok, I’ve replaced the passenger side ignition coil already because I thought from a search on here that it seemed a sure fire deal that was what was wrong if I unplugged one of the ignition coils and the car wouldn’t start.

Let this be a lesson to others. That is not necessarily the case. I am now suspecting – as you mention – that the distributor cap/rotor on the passenger side is bad……cuz it fires the cylinders that aren’t getting spark.

I didn’t realize that the distributors fired cylinders on both sides of the motor for one – they do.
I will first check the lead to the distributor, but I am confident that it is sending spark.

If it’s the distributor and rotor this would have been a $30 fix instead of blowing $50 on a new ignition coil that I didn’t need making it a $80+ fix (fingers crossed).

I shouldn’t have been so lazy as to just assume it was the ignition coil, but I didn’t really want to pull the entire breather assembly back off just to check the passenger side plugs – and at the time I believed that the entire driver’s side was getting spark.

I’ll report back what I find, but this info might save somebody from jumping to the conclusion that it’s the ignition coil every time when it maybe be an even cheaper fix. Hopefully!
Old 08-02-10, 08:51 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

no one can easily diagnose it cause it sounds like you already did the wrong thing.
Why did you unplug the coil? coils arent usually even the culprit so you replaced the passenger side for no reason. If you have any cylinders firing on a given bank then your coil is good, and if its only a subset of the whole bank then likely you have a worn down rotor(most likely) or bad plug wires(unlikely if its more than 1 cylinder).

So go back in there and take off the cover, then the distributor cap, and take a look at the rotor. if it looks all jacked which i bet it does, then replace it. if not report back.

(**EDIT** The info i posted earlier was wrong 1uz distributor apparently fires 2 cylinders on each bank, not just the side its on like I originally said, my bad v8 people)

Last edited by Ali SC3; 08-03-10 at 10:25 AM.
Old 08-02-10, 11:24 AM
mptjimmy
Pole Position

yup, test backwards from the coil, ( if it works) then distributor.. then to the plug...
Old 08-02-10, 11:45 AM
lolSC600
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
distributors do not fire cylinders on both sides of the motor, there is one for each bank right at the front of the motor, and it only fires the cylinders on the side it is on.
I'm pretty sure they fire two cylinders in each bank...

The driver side distributor does cylinders 1, 4 ,6 & 7, the passenger side does 2, 3, 5, & 8.

Last edited by lolSC600; 08-02-10 at 11:51 AM.
Old 08-02-10, 02:27 PM
Fastfwd
Driver

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
no one can easily diagnose it cause it sounds like you already did the wrong thing.

Why did you unplug the coil? coils arent usually even the culprit so you replaced the passenger side for no reason. If you have any cylinders firing on a given bank then your coil is good, and if its only a subset of the whole bank then likely you have a worn down rotor(most likely) or bad plug wires(unlikely if its more than 1 cylinder).

So go back in there and take off the cover, then the distributor cap, and take a look at the rotor. if it looks all jacked which i bet it does, then replace it. if not report back.

distributors do not fire cylinders on both sides of the motor, there is one for each bank right at the front of the motor, and it only fires the cylinders on the side it is on.
I did the wrong thing? I found multiple threads like this one:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/mai...ower-help.html

Describing exactly my symptoms and the sure fix being an ignition coil…….

As the other posted noted – the distributors on the SC400 do indeed fire on both sides of the motor. You have no idea what you are talking about. I will gladly post pictures so that future users of the site are not confused by your misinformation.

I’m hoping that it’s the distributor cap/rotor….. I’m not sure if I even need the cap and not just the rotor, but I guess if I’m pulling it out I might as well do both.

I’m not having the best time with getting the cover off the distributor cap. All those nice pretty covers over the wiring are a real pain in the *** when it comes to getting at the parts that need to be fixed.
Old 08-02-10, 08:22 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

both the coil and the rotor will have similar symptoms, there are also threads with the same symptoms that will say to check the rotor. I always inspect the rotor first because its the easiest to diagnose, i had mine go out about a month ago on w/ 140k, its normal with age. my coil still works great even w/ na-t.
Old 08-03-10, 06:53 AM
Fastfwd
Driver

Issues finally resolved. I really can’t for the life of me figure out why – unless I traced all of the wires from the passenger side distributor to the wrong cylinders and was confused about what was firing what.

I replaced the passenger side rotor/cap and it didn’t fix it.

A member here suggested that I just try a known good ignition coil on the driver’s side and what do you know, but it fixed it!

This goes against the advice I found elsewhere here about unplugging one ignition coil and if it doesn’t start the other coil is bad.

It’s finally back up and running. If anyone can enlighten me about why the driver’s side coil would be the issue please do. I’m assuming that the distributor on that side fires the cylinders that I found dead and I just totally screwed up tracing the wires.
Old 08-03-10, 10:22 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

I guess they do go to opposite sides for the middle cylinders, my bad.
for future reference always inspect the rotor/cap, then check the resistance of the coil(s). If it isolated to 1 cylinder then check the plug wire.
might as well change plugs while you are in there also.

http://fourwheelforum.com/showthread.php?t=248&page=9

Last edited by Ali SC3; 08-03-10 at 10:29 AM.
The following users liked this post:
alalai (02-27-24)
Old 08-03-10, 11:17 AM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ok Ali, we caught you slippin in this thread with the bad v8 firing info.
somebody mark that one down. haha.

i had this same problem (just running on 4 cylinders) but it was the other coil (the one at the top).
i unplugged the coil, no change. unplugged the drivers side coil and it wouldnt start.
replaced the bad coil and BAM, purring like a damn kitten.

Last edited by cartmill; 08-03-10 at 11:20 AM.
Old 08-03-10, 03:39 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by cartmill
ok Ali, we caught you slippin in this thread with the bad v8 firing info.
somebody mark that one down. haha.

i had this same problem (just running on 4 cylinders) but it was the other coil (the one at the top).
i unplugged the coil, no change. unplugged the drivers side coil and it wouldnt start.
replaced the bad coil and BAM, purring like a damn kitten.
lol, it happens, Im still trying to catch quickgs300.. although he doesn't mess with the 1uz.
you got it right, its the one that makes no change that is the culprit (normally pulling out spark for 4 cylinders should make a change).
The OP skipped to the correct test for the coil, but switched the wrong one, glad both of you got it though.