Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

So.. lost my race cause car messed up....

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-10, 08:00 PM
flipboi
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So.. lost my race cause car messed up....

so me (pretty stock 1jz auto) and this mild build b20 wit b16 head integra ran the other night. first we went on a 20 roll, honked it off, i didnt catch traction till it shifted to 2nd, so he had a 1/2 car ahead, then i caught him at about 100 and backed out. second we raced from a dig, honked it off i pulled about 1 car on him then he missed 2nd so we backed out. third we raced from a dig again and i pulled about a car again, then car shifted to 2nd and i feel my car cutting out like im hitting boost cut, but im running 12 psi and boost cut isnt till 14 psi... so about 90 he passed me. the next day i turned down my boost to stock and tried running him again on a 20. we honked it off and i pull about 1/2 on him then my car started doing it again but worse... like every second it cuts out. then he asked if ill run again so i couldnt say no and hope it wont do it again, this time it was worse.... we went from a dig. i honked it off and i jumped a car at the launch then he missed gear so i was ahead by like 3 cars then the cut off was harder and my car started bucking... i was looking at my rpm guage and i can see the rpm needle waving for some weird reason... and he passed me at like 90 cause my car was cutting out bad... when i drive normal it doesnt do it. so i drove it home, went to school the next day and going back i wanted to seee if it does it again. so i floored it and it did it again. when i came to a stop sign, the car started acting worse and wouldnt let me go pass 2k rpm. it sounds like i have a launch control set at 2k... i was thinking it was the plugs but wasnt sure, im not good wit diagnostic yet, just replacing parts and such. i called my dad cause he went on vacation out of state. he told me to spray brake cleaner on the intake while im trying to pass 2k rpm, if the car revs up normal when i spray it, its the fuel system, if it doesnt its the ignition. sure enough the car reved like normal when i sprayed it... so i changed the fuel pump today and it did the same thing... im guessing it may be the fuel filter, fuel regulator, or bad gas.... what do u guys think??
Old 07-26-10, 09:05 PM
ujs2slow
Driver

sorry bro wats your next plan.
Old 07-26-10, 09:13 PM
flipboi
Lead Lap

well my dad should b back 2 days from now. he will help me fix it, but i really want to fix it witout him thats y im asking what u guys think. but after i fix my car i'm going to have to do another run wit the teggy lol i cant stand the fact that i should have won those races, but car messed up so i lost. thats integra is fast tho no doubt
Old 07-26-10, 09:17 PM
imDementeD
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

yea b20vtec is a very stout setup..the bad is its in a pretty heavy teg..throw that in a crx and itd be monstrous..when i had my lsvtec in a gutted crx thing was nasty..
now my sc300 feels ridiculously slow but its a million times nicer..i just miss the power my lil rex had
Old 07-26-10, 09:49 PM
flipboi
Lead Lap

yeah that power to weight ratio is something to miss, even tho my car is faster than his, i can feel the g's in his car alot better. thats why when i first did my 1jz swap i thought i was slow until i took it to the track and found out my number lol
Old 07-26-10, 10:24 PM
imDementeD
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

what is your number just curious
im really considering a 1jz swap for the fact i think it looks a lot cleaner then na-t but at the same time im sure id want more power ie end up with a big single and i could of had that from the beginning with na-t
Old 07-27-10, 10:15 AM
SuperiorSC
Lexus Test Driver

hmmm. i had a problem kinda like this on my gst. it ended up that the coolant temp sensor was bad, which caused the car to run super rich fouling out the plugs and making it run like ish. check the plugs. if theyre soaked in gas then check the temp sensor.

on another note if your looking for a boostcut controller i have a greddy one for sale.
Old 07-27-10, 10:24 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

have you done the 12v fuel mod, its more likely than the pump itself on an SC.
Old 07-27-10, 12:02 PM
flipboi
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by imDementeD
what is your number just curious
im really considering a 1jz swap for the fact i think it looks a lot cleaner then na-t but at the same time im sure id want more power ie end up with a big single and i could of had that from the beginning with na-t
i ran a 13.9 wit everything stock cept a FMIC and raised the boost to 12 psi

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
have you done the 12v fuel mod, its more likely than the pump itself on an SC.
what is the 12v fuel mod? but i did change the fuel pump and it still did the same thing...

Originally Posted by SuperiorSC
hmmm. i had a problem kinda like this on my gst. it ended up that the coolant temp sensor was bad, which caused the car to run super rich fouling out the plugs and making it run like ish. check the plugs. if theyre soaked in gas then check the temp sensor.

on another note if your looking for a boostcut controller i have a greddy one for sale.
i checked the spark plugs and they were dry, a little dark brown but i'm about the replace it as well, and i have a boostcut controller, but its hks and for some weird reason, not thats im keeping it at that till i get a fuel system, when i installed it and tried to pass 14psi i still have my boost cut...
Old 07-27-10, 03:50 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

the 12v fuel mod is the cure for the commonly failing fuel pump ecu.
they fail all the time and give you the symptoms of a bad pump (as you are describing).
it basically bypasses the bad fuel pump ecu so you always have a steady voltage at the pump, which seems to help alot on high performance motors.
search for it, you will find it.
Old 07-27-10, 07:13 PM
flipboi
Lead Lap

well i got my spark plugs today and changed them, and i changed my oil to synthetic. Oddly enough it did the job.. cars running fine again... im guessing it was either bad plugs or one of the coil connectors got lose again... either way its fixed and now im ready to re run that teggy hehe. i did a little search on that 12v fuel mod and it looks pretty simple and u guys say it helps so might as well do it hehe aite imma go back in my garage and do the mod
Old 07-28-10, 08:54 AM
eliteskill
Lexus Test Driver

You have a boost gauge right? are you sure your not overboosting to fuel cut? Weather makes a difference in boost levels as well. Colder = higher psi. A/F Ratio gauge will tell you if you have a fueling issue.

I have heard mixed reviews about the v12mod Bad and Good. I left mine alone.
Old 07-28-10, 12:04 PM
flipboi
Lead Lap

yes i have a boost guage and it was at 10 when it was doing it. and sadly i dont have a afr guage, one of the things on my list. about the 12v mod... i went ahead and did it... but was wondering will this make me have less gas milage?
Old 07-28-10, 12:07 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^^No it won't affect gas mileage.
Old 07-28-10, 01:59 PM
Klaus
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Crap. Sorry man I could have saved you from hacking up your stock wiring. The 12v mod does not need to be done as a diagnostic fix. Just jumping the FP and B+ jumpers on your diag port does the same thing. This problem could also be coil packs.

Quick Reply: So.. lost my race cause car messed up....