Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Ding remover kits?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-10, 08:17 AM
Allaretake
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ding remover kits?

I figured someone would have posted this by now, but I was unable to find anything about DIY ding repair using the search engine.

Basically, I have a bunch of nickel sized dents that came with the car and I'd love to remove them. I looked on amazon and saw plenty of ding removers that I've seen on TV or various auto stores, but they all had mediocre reviews at best. After reading some of them however, it would seem that many people simply use the ding removers incorrectly or tried to cut corners in the process. I also came across this suction cup-esque thingy which got all positive reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/Northern-Indus...7824582&sr=8-3

Does anyone have experience doing this themselves? I know dent remover places can get rid of all of them for a reasonable price but I'd like to learn how to do this myself.
Old 06-29-10, 04:08 PM
Allaretake
Driver

Anyone????
Old 06-29-10, 04:13 PM
SC400SAIF
Rookie

bump.... i wanna know too
Old 06-29-10, 06:05 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You cant really just pop out a dent and expect it to look decent. There will be ripples, dips, and possibly even high spots that have to be massaged out or you might as well leave the small dents alone.

I suppose the exception to this would be a huge, caved in door or other massive dent that would look marginally better popped out...

Paintless dent repair (PDR) is an art. It takes a lot of practice to massage a dent out to where it is no longer detectable. There are certain tools and techniques that really should be taught by pros IMO. I suppose some people will have a natural eye and feel for it and can pick it up on their own, but there are actual courses dedicated to teaching PDR.

Check these guys out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKPj5KZgEd0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7Jpr...eature=related
Old 06-30-10, 08:03 PM
topdog849
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just use the dry ice method cheaper n easier
Old 06-30-10, 08:49 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by topdog849
same here. did my passenger side 2 yrs ago, dents still havent come back, and spent $5 on the dry ice..just need to do the drivers door one of these days.
Old 07-01-10, 05:52 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by topdog849
Never heard of this method. Do tell...

Jonny
Old 07-01-10, 09:09 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

last time I was at the carlisle show up in PA, there was this guy coming around and doing everyones panels for super cheap. it took him 30 minutes each and everyones doors looked spotless after that. he even got a few i couldn't even see. He had these flat massager tools he used from the inside to smooth it out, not the suction cup method at all. if you know how to do it its definitely worth it, but it isn't easy.
Old 07-01-10, 10:54 AM
LEX_MAN
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dry ice doesnt work that well, plus you have to heat up the ding first then imediately ice it. But its not 100% Been taught in bodyshop classes.
Old 07-01-10, 11:10 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LEX_MAN
Dry ice doesnt work that well, plus you have to heat up the ding first then imediately ice it. But its not 100% Been taught in bodyshop classes.
worked perfectly on my passenger door, and I didnt have to heat anything...guess the body shop isnt teaching it correctly.
Old 07-01-10, 08:45 PM
jjffyy
Lead Lap

Can you teach us??
Old 07-01-10, 09:16 PM
topdog849
Lead Lap

yea YouTube it
Old 07-01-10, 09:22 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Luckily I've actually done some research into this a looong time ago in my regional forums. Here's a copy and paste..

Originally Posted by scENFORCER
So I've done a bit of research about the 'dry ice dent removal' and the only place that I could find that carry's dry ice is Praxair on Clark and Grandview. The smallest size they sell is 10"x10" for $18.95. So I dunno about it being more expensive cuz if it works then thats a pretty good price for getting rid of a few dents.

The process goes like this:
- Warm up the metal with a blow-dryer until you can almost not touch it.
- While WEARING PROTECTIVE GLOVES rub the dent (and ONLY the dent) with the dry ice, while checking the dent with your hand making sure that you dont 'over correct it'. This process seems to take anywhere from 1-10 mins. A few places that I looked recommended wrapping the dry ice in a shop-towel or something as to not scratch the clear-coat.
- Gently rub off the residual dry ice from the metal until it has defrosted.

But the next question is DOES IT WORK!? Well in my research I've concluded its effective about 50% of the time, depending on how warm the metal is, and what type of dent it is.
Ive also learned that it CAN be bad for your car. Seems like the paint/clear coat should be ok, but the problem may come from the metal itself. The way it should work is the heat warming the metal so that its bendable, and the cold causing it to contract thus popping back into place. But the extreme and constant heating and cooling of the metal can result in a 'tin can effect', and the metal can become weak, popping in and out in normal weather changes.

This is something that I'd LOVE to try, and I'm sure theres a bunch of ppl with annoying dings on their cars. The problem is that I'm worried about causing damage to my car. Has anyone successfully tried this?? OR does anyone have a winter/junk car that theyd try it on and share the results!?
Old 07-04-10, 10:36 AM
LEX_MAN
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by turbodremz
worked perfectly on my passenger door, and I didnt have to heat anything...guess the body shop isnt teaching it correctly.
I meant i was tought in the bodyshop, but i actualy seen the process, it was done before my eyes. The ding didnt come out all the way. It poped a little but it will never level to the factory specs.

Like others said, proove it, post a video on you tube and lets see your magic ,lol

When metal stretches its impossible to shrink it even if you bang it back in the same shape, you will have creases, thats why they use filler to smooth out the creases and the surface of the metal. Otherwise you'll have to cut another piece of metal and weld it in the old spot.

Its possible to smooth out a ding,but without force you wont be able to do much.

Last edited by LEX_MAN; 07-04-10 at 10:45 AM.
Old 12-24-10, 10:51 AM
lfrers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Found this

http://www.break.com/index/how-to-fi...ed-air-1971795

Quick Reply: Ding remover kits?