Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

question about NA-T

Old 06-10-10, 09:31 PM
SOARhighER
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about NA-T

So i found a turbo kit online for 650 bucks. only thing it doesnt come with is the intercooler and the BOV.

My question is this... other than doing a tune for fuel/air, is there anything else I need to do for NA-T to keep it reliable and not blow the motor?
Old 06-10-10, 09:47 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SOARhighER
My question is this... other than doing a tune for fuel/air, is there anything else I need to do for NA-T to keep it reliable and not blow the motor?
**sigh**

yes, research..................... lots of research

but seriously, just the fact that you are mentioning a turbo kit (minus a few parts) in the hundreds of dollars and then asking in the next sentence about not blowing the motor tells me you're not there. Just sayin

Last edited by good2go; 06-10-10 at 09:51 PM.
Old 06-10-10, 09:49 PM
sc4demon
Lexus Test Driver

you should try http://forum.clubna-t.com/

im not sure but i think all you need is just the:

turbo
turbo manifold w/the flanges
intake
intercooler w/all the piping
bov
wastegate
ems
some gauges would help
downpipe
oil feed lines
and i think thats it if im missing something someone correct me im not 100% sure
Old 06-10-10, 09:50 PM
SOARhighER
Pole Position

Originally Posted by good2go
**sigh**

yes, research..................... lots of research
why sigh? I have researched, and nothing has any specifics as to what is needed. This is new territory for me. and would rather speak to people up front who have done it rather than go off half handed information that i have no way of cross referencing if its correct or not.
Old 06-10-10, 10:10 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SOARhighER
why sigh? I have researched, and nothing has any specifics as to what is needed. This is new territory for me. and would rather speak to people up front who have done it rather than go off half handed information that i have no way of cross referencing if its correct or not.
Have you defined your goals?

and more importantly, your BUDGET?

Maybe it's just me, but I find it hard to believe that if you have done your research as you say, that you found no specifics. I appreciate that it's all new territory for you (I'm actually trying to do you a favor by being plainly honest), but if new territory is indeed the case, how then do you have any idea if what people are saying (or going to say) here isn't the very half handed info you hoped to avoid ? There's a lot of pretty ghetto setups and advice on this forum. Be careful...do your OWN homework.

and then do some more
Old 06-10-10, 10:41 PM
SOARhighER
Pole Position

Originally Posted by good2go
Have you defined your goals?

and more importantly, your BUDGET?

Maybe it's just me, but I find it hard to believe that if you have done your research as you say, that you found no specifics. I appreciate that it's all new territory for you (I'm actually trying to do you a favor by being plainly honest), but if new territory is indeed the case, how then do you have any idea if what people are saying (or going to say) here isn't the very half handed info you hoped to avoid ? There's a lot of pretty ghetto setups and advice on this forum. Be careful...do your OWN homework.

and then do some more
that makes sense. I havent done hours of research but figured i would try here to make things speed along. although what you said makes sense about the info possibility here too... so guess I will just have to take my time and keep looking
Old 06-11-10, 12:49 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if the turbo kit costs $650 and includes the turbo, and your still considering it, your not doing your research. The cheapest quality/priced turbo I would ever consider using would be the one that is in the XS Power kit.

from first hand experience, your better off piecing your own kit together..3 things you dont skimp on quality: Turbo, Wastegate, Engine/Fuel management. Failure of those 3 due to cheap quality can cause some serious issues. Used parts, fine, aslong as they are still in good shape...cheap garbage parts, DONT DO IT!.
Old 06-11-10, 05:27 AM
romycha1
Lead Lap

List everything that kit comes with...

What SC4Demon posted is just the basics.. there are a lot more stuff to consider. If you are on a budget, I wouldn't even try unless you are sourcing GOOD used parts, or procuring parts slowly.