Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Squires Turbo install questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-10, 03:42 AM
snsrushing
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squires Turbo install questions

I've been thinking about my options for getting some more fun out of my 92 SC400. I've considered ITB, a s/c, a 1jzgte swap and now a turbo, www.ststurbo.com (?) I've known about this company for awhile and I'm starting to seriously look at this. I talked to a shop out here and they suggested getting a Apex FC but I thought I seen on some of the overseas boards that it doesnt work on the SC.

What are my options for getting the air fuel mix right? Could I jump the fuel computer to run at 12v and use a adjustable fuel pressure regulator to tune it?
Old 06-09-10, 06:12 AM
inferno14u
Driver School Candidate

The kit should come with a boost dependent rising rate fuel regulator. With the normal boost setting, that should be all you need provided that your car is in fine working order. I personally would suggest against a rear mounted turbo based on your location however. What are your performance goals?
Old 06-09-10, 11:19 AM
snsrushing
Rookie

I'm not looking at trying to shatter any speed records, I just want to kick it up a notch. Once I get some bills out of the way, I planned on getting a torque converter, headers and everything else put aside and do it early next year. So, I'm trying to get as much info together now.
Old 06-09-10, 12:44 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

theres not much difference between that kit and any universal kit. pretty much the only difference is the scavanging oil pump, which you can buy anywhere for 2-300 bucks.
you will have to do alot of exhaust fabrication and run the charge pipes back up to the front of the vehicle. now if it was a bolt on type deal that would be a different story.

save yourself alot of fabrication and just modify the existing headers so that you can mount the turbo by the drivers headlight like everyone else does (flipping the manifolds over and modifying the collector from what I have seen online). It will require less fabrication, you wont need a scavange oil pump (which will make it more reliable), and you will have much shorter charge pipes which = better response and quicker spool.
Old 06-09-10, 12:59 PM
SoCaLSC400
Intermediate

Running the charge piping was a major pain when I installed my STS turbo. Especially along the driver side fender well. I'm still running a fuel pressure riser and it has it's limitations. My tuner is fluent with the AEM EMS so that's the route I will be going. If your tuner suggests power FC i say go for it. No point in making them tune with a program their not comfortable with. Hit me up if you have any questions.