Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Power Steering Pump : OE or rebuilt non-Toyota brand?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-10, 08:23 PM
SuperCoupe400
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Power Steering Pump : OE or rebuilt non-Toyota brand?

So my PS pump is leaking (again). I replaced the OE one 3 summers ago with a rebuilt aftermarket one. Something told me it wouldn't last long, but I honestly expected to get a bit more wear than this.

Anyway, I'm inclined now to go with the OE Toyota pump, but stealership wants $592 + $6 pressure gasket. Looking online at rebuilt units I'm having a hard time finding any at all that top the $200 mark. I don't want to be replacing this thing again in another 3 years, but I also don't want to just toss an extra $400 out the window when there may be a reasonable alternative either.

Can anyone give me some solid advice on an excellent (not just good) brand of PS pump?

First thing tomorrow though, I'm calling to get a price for that through a Toyota dealership instead of Lexus. I know first-hand that all parts are cheaper through Toyota. Heck, even Type VI tranny fluid is cheaper at Toyota than Lexus.

Last edited by SuperCoupe400; 06-03-10 at 08:38 PM.
The following users liked this post:
LSnewb (06-02-22)
Old 06-03-10, 08:41 PM
rwdanthony
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had a small leak in my PS pump, and i just fixed it two days ago [so far no drip stains]

check the o-ring that seals the join between the reservoir and the PS pump, over time and heat, that o-ring becomes square through heat and eventually becomes hard/brittle, replace that o-ring.

GL
Old 06-04-10, 05:44 AM
SuperCoupe400
Intermediate

I would just do that, but I know the pump I put in was sub-standard. Plus my steering rack is leaking too. Going to be replacing that also. (i never was able to get to that tiny PS fluid filter in the solenoid on the rack. So I'm sure that clog is hurting my steering as well)

basically, I'm just looking to see whether or not there is a pump out there that matches the quality of OE but for less money.
Old 06-04-10, 07:34 AM
rwdanthony
Lexus Champion

usually local auto parts stores liek autozone carry OE PS bumps rebranded because they are remanufactured.

anyways, GL
Old 06-04-10, 08:08 AM
SuperCoupe400
Intermediate

You know, at this point I think I've decided I'm just gonna bite the bullet & get OE new. I've done the local import auto parts pump at about $180. That's the one that developed a leak after only 3 years. That's a part I'd rather not keep going back in to swap.

I did find an original OE pump for $120 less than the dealer's $592. So i'll be going with that one for peace of mind.
Old 06-04-10, 09:26 AM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SuperCoupe400
You know, at this point I think I've decided I'm just gonna bite the bullet & get OE new. I've done the local import auto parts pump at about $180. That's the one that developed a leak after only 3 years. That's a part I'd rather not keep going back in to swap.

I did find an original OE pump for $120 less than the dealer's $592. So i'll be going with that one for peace of mind.
Given how you feel about rebuilt parts, just make sure you know what you are getting from your dealer. Some people have been surprised to learn that they got a REMANUFACTURED item when they thought they were buying NEW. If that turns out to be the case, why pay a dealer premium?
Old 06-04-10, 11:03 AM
SuperCoupe400
Intermediate

Good point about rebuilt units. And in fact, I did ask the dealer about the build of the pump they get. It is remanufactured afterall. BUT, how can I be sure a $180 unit will perform as good and last as long as a Toyota OE one? If this were my first time replacing it, I'd go for the less expensive rebuilt. But given the fact that I've tried a non-OE rebuilt and it has failed me makes me a bit weary about trying another one. If we were talking car batteries, serpentine belts, or some other part that is really easy to get to and swap out, then I'd say "yeah". Sign me up for a second round of "let's see what we get this time".
Old 06-04-10, 11:29 AM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

If you can talk to a knowledgeable, seasoned, old timer at a good parts store (ie. NOT Autozone, Kragen, or Pepboys) like Napa or maybe a local independent chain, you should be able to gather info about what suppliers of re-man goods they recommend. They may have more than one, so ask for the utmost premium quality rebuilder, chances are it will most likely be from the SAME supplier to the dealership and it will cost multiples less.
Old 06-07-10, 12:17 AM
lev00221
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Alternatively, you could purchase the remanufacturing kit from Toyota and either do it yourself or pay someone to do it for you. It would likely be cheaper than the remanufactured pump and most definitely less than buying from Toyota/Lexus. I understand what you mean by peace of mind when buying new. I purchased the PS pump for my 93 LS400 new from Toyota in 2006 and it is still working perfectly. I have also had my mechanic rebuild the pump on my 98 SC400 and it works great! Anyway, just another option...
Good luck!
Old 06-07-10, 09:22 AM
ChiTown400
Driver School Candidate

I have a 99 SC400. I dont remember the PS pump whining before I changed the fluid but it has since then. I know I used the proper spec but maybe I should have changed half first and then some more the next time because now I can't get it to stop whining. Not too bad, just not the Lexus quiet it was before. Does it sound like I need to get that Lexus rebuild kit for it? Is there a chance that I missed something on the purging? I cleaned out the reservoir and the screen is perfectly clean. Anyone know how much that rebuild kit is? Thanks
Old 06-07-10, 09:20 PM
HellFish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ChiTown400
I have a 99 SC400. I dont remember the PS pump whining before I changed the fluid but it has since then. I know I used the proper spec but maybe I should have changed half first and then some more the next time because now I can't get it to stop whining. Not too bad, just not the Lexus quiet it was before. Does it sound like I need to get that Lexus rebuild kit for it? Is there a chance that I missed something on the purging? I cleaned out the reservoir and the screen is perfectly clean. Anyone know how much that rebuild kit is? Thanks
how well did you bleed the system? i had a cooler line pop off on me and i repaired it all bled the system but still had a little whine for a day or two. but after driving round and round, it quieted down.
Old 06-08-10, 10:13 AM
ChiTown400
Driver School Candidate

Not sure how to describe how well I bled it. I had it up in the air, running, turning side to side. I flushed it with clean fluid before I removed the reservoir to clean it out, it wasn't clogged. It wasn't dirty or clogged but the fluid originally smelled terrible. It has 90k miles on it and was all dealer serviced before I got it. I have driven it around 1000 miles since then and it still seems to have a slight grinding/growling that I can feel in the floor/gas pedal area. It doesnt seem to have any change as I sweep the wheels back and forth. I also changed the hydraluic fluid for the fan at the same time with the proper fluid. I don't think that that is making the noise but I haven't tried to isolate it. The car is so quiet, except for this issue.