Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

xspower or driftmotion turbo kit?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-10, 07:59 PM
nivek5sfe
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default xspower or driftmotion turbo kit?

....that is the question

ive had my eye on the xspower kit for some time because i know that alot of guys on this forum and NA-T have it and have had good things to say about but but recently i found the drift motion kits and have heard some good things about them as well. anyone have any input on either of these kits? i know the drift motion kit claims garrett internals and also have polished compressor housing witch are both pluses. i know im prob gonna get alot of hate for going with cheap kits but im sure theyre better than some of that ebay bs.
Old 05-17-10, 08:13 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

XS Power kits have been proven and have tons of positive feedback over on clubna-t, and a few members here. I haven't heard much about the driftmotion kit, but the few things I have weren't too great...stick with the XS kit, or piece your own kit together, it could possibly be cheaper, and have better quality parts if you shop wisely.
Old 05-17-10, 08:18 PM
Matador
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

honestly, I bet the kits are pretty damn similar. If you're worried about the turbo lasting pick up a nicer turbo and then source the rest of what you need from either place.
Old 05-17-10, 08:29 PM
nivek5sfe
Pole Position

Originally Posted by turbodremz
XS Power kits have been proven and have tons of positive feedback over on clubna-t, and a few members here. I haven't heard much about the driftmotion kit, but the few things I have weren't too great...stick with the XS kit, or piece your own kit together, it could possibly be cheaper, and have better quality parts if you shop wisely.
yeah i always like what i hear from everyone on here and club na-t...seems like a solid kit. i probably wont be pushing it too much either thats why im not too worried about them being "cheap" kits. eventually ill prob move up to a better turbo itself but for the time being theyre fine. the drift motion kits dont get as much exposure around here i think mainly because they appeal to the mkIII and 1jz guys more...but from what ive been reading the two seem to be on a pretty level playing field
Old 05-17-10, 08:30 PM
nivek5sfe
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Matador
honestly, I bet the kits are pretty damn similar. If you're worried about the turbo lasting pick up a nicer turbo and then source the rest of what you need from either place.
i hear you on that, they seem VERY similar the only differences i could see were the two that i listed above
Old 05-17-10, 08:52 PM
attzor
Lead Lap

Driftmotion turbos are made with garrett internals, I'd go with driftmotion before xspower.
Old 05-18-10, 08:46 AM
nivek5sfe
Pole Position

Originally Posted by attzor
Driftmotion turbos are made with garrett internals, I'd go with driftmotion before xspower.
yeah that is where i definately think they one up them. the more i look at it the kit seems like it doesnt come with an intercooler like the xspower one does
Old 05-18-10, 08:51 AM
ogre
Driver

I don't know how much these kits sell for but maybe u should consider picing one together from scratch. I only have right at $1500 n my setup with all new parts and I could have gone cheaper on some stuff
Old 05-18-10, 09:25 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just piece a kit together. You might spend a little more, but instead of a turbo with Garrett internals, find a Garrett turbo..I got my GT4088 that had been used for 500 miles for $500 with no issues. Also managed to find a Godspeed intercooler (31x12.5x3) for $100 shipped..

Trust me, if you shop around enough, and dont just jump on the first thing that looks like a good deal, you can piece together a good solid kit, with some high quality parts for less than $2k including some sort of fuel management and gauges..
Old 05-18-10, 09:26 AM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

personally i would buy all brand name items but im just get the xs power or drift motion and replace the turbo and wastegate when they fail. those are the critical components really.
Old 05-18-10, 10:03 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^+1 exactly right, no cheap Turbo no cheap WG and you should be good.
Old 05-18-10, 01:06 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

yup, i'm running the T61 xs power kit for about a year with the upgraded hks style wastegate and the tial style bov. I replaced the oil lines right off the bat.

with the low cost of the kit the turbo is practically free.
my intentions were to use the t61 while i dialed in my setup and worked all the bugs out, then later replace it with something nicer if it were to give me any problems...
but to my surprise the t61 I got boosts like a champ and doesn't burn any oil at all.
IMO its a good turbo to beat on for a while, and upgrade down the road.
Old 05-18-10, 01:47 PM
nivek5sfe
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
yup, i'm running the T61 xs power kit for about a year with the upgraded hks style wastegate and the tial style bov. I replaced the oil lines right off the bat.

with the low cost of the kit the turbo is practically free.
my intentions were to use the t61 while i dialed in my setup and worked all the bugs out, then later replace it with something nicer if it were to give me any problems...
but to my surprise the t61 I got boosts like a champ and doesn't burn any oil at all.
IMO its a good turbo to beat on for a while, and upgrade down the road.
these are pretty much my exact plans..what did you upgrade your oil lines with though? were the one that came with the kit no good or something?

and to everyone saying to piece together my own, ive been thinking about it lately but its just so tempting to buy one of these cheap decent kits and hold off on a better waste gate and turbo when i want to shoot for bigger and better power.
Old 05-18-10, 03:07 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

the oil feed lines that come with the kit are pretty good.
back when i bought my kit the return line is like this thick rubber hose looking thing.
I hear it actually works just fine if you clock the turbo so that there is no contact with the last runner, but even with that its a tight fit on the na-t so I prefer having a stainless steel line for the return which will hold up to heat/pressure a little bit better.
SS lines are cheap, check out atpturbo, their quality/prices rock for turbo accessories.

heres a pic of how close the line comes to the runner with a 45 degree fitting.
if you used the rubber piece the blue nut would be where the rubber like hose is clamped.
it may vary from car to car but i decided hot turbo + non metal = melt sooner or later

Last edited by Ali SC3; 05-18-10 at 03:13 PM.
Old 05-18-10, 06:35 PM
nivek5sfe
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
the oil feed lines that come with the kit are pretty good.
back when i bought my kit the return line is like this thick rubber hose looking thing.
I hear it actually works just fine if you clock the turbo so that there is no contact with the last runner, but even with that its a tight fit on the na-t so I prefer having a stainless steel line for the return which will hold up to heat/pressure a little bit better.
SS lines are cheap, check out atpturbo, their quality/prices rock for turbo accessories.

heres a pic of how close the line comes to the runner with a 45 degree fitting.
if you used the rubber piece the blue nut would be where the rubber like hose is clamped.
it may vary from car to car but i decided hot turbo + non metal = melt sooner or later
ok i see what your talking about. yeah i wouldnt trust a rubber hose for that job either..hopefully hes switch to a braided line...if not i definitely will have to change that as well.

Quick Reply: xspower or driftmotion turbo kit?