Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.
Old 12-15-14, 03:58 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tires and Wheels Guide
Print Wikipost

Tutorial: Front Wheel Bearing Replacement

Old 05-12-14, 11:51 PM
mouse23
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you Studiogeek for the heads up. I think in my case the screws are just missing. What puzzled me is that I could not pound the brake disk loose.
Old 05-13-14, 12:02 PM
es30000000
Pole Position

I did both front hubs and bears on my SC last month. What I did was remove the entire knuckle from all control arms and tie rod end, purchased the hubs and bearings online and brought the knuckle and new parts into a local shop and had them do the rest, $50 per side for a total of $100 plus parts.
Old 05-19-14, 09:32 AM
mouse23
Driver School Candidate

Default wheel bearing job

es30000000, I was considering going the same route and got the parts. Then I saw this 6 ton press at Harbor Freight for 60 bucks. so I thought what the heck. It would keep me from shopping around for a machine shop and making a couple of trips, dropping off an picking up(not having a car). But before I make another attempt, in view that is such a ***** to do, I want to make damn sure I made a correct diagnosys. From inside the car I cannot make out where the whine/growl is coming from.

I'll be back, but don't hold your breath.
Old 05-26-14, 05:58 AM
edinlexv8
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mouse23
es30000000, I was considering going the same route and got the parts. Then I saw this 6 ton press at Harbor Freight for 60 bucks. so I thought what the heck. It would keep me from shopping around for a machine shop and making a couple of trips, dropping off an picking up(not having a car). But before I make another attempt, in view that is such a ***** to do, I want to make damn sure I made a correct diagnosys. From inside the car I cannot make out where the whine/growl is coming from.

I'll be back, but don't hold your breath.
Simple way to diagnose is to jack the car up and turn the wheels with your hands. If the wheel rotates just fine then it is ok but if you hear a bit of rubbing noise alternating in a regular fashion then you have a problem with the bearing. Goodluck
Old 06-02-14, 11:02 AM
mouse23
Driver School Candidate

Thank you Edinlexv8, I did that but no noise. So with the front jacked up, I started the engine and nudged the gas paddle down with a brick to get some RPM. You can stop one wheel at a time to listen to the one that is running. Both left and right were really noisy. Now I am deciding to replace the shafts as well since I will have everything apart. The only thing that's left is getting in the mood.
Old 06-12-14, 01:16 PM
marcb
Driver School Candidate

Default Just the oil seal?

Excellent post sir, thanks for that. I just found that a small drop of oil right behind the axle hub, that is, on the oil seal, effectively got rid of all the resonating, speed independent and brake independent noises that have been coming out of the wheel. Just wanted to share that as a shiny beacon in noisy days, or otherwise a statue of a hopeless hobbyist.

Cheers y'all and don't give up fighting those noises.
Old 06-12-14, 05:36 PM
marvinje
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe this is my issue, I hear this droning sound between 20 - 60 mph. I gave an 08 ES 350 with 90000 miles. how much would something like. cost at the dealership?
Old 06-14-14, 03:28 PM
BearsLexus
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tabaka
This looks like a nightmare. I'd rather just sell the SC and buy another one with a good working hub lol.
Love your quote about the Hot Girl with Herpes, Syphilis, and AIDS... Looks good, but for ****'s sake don't touch her!

That's the same way I feel about my 2000 RX300

A. Bear
Old 08-09-14, 11:22 PM
texan_176
Intermediate

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks for posting this. I have a slight noise from the right front side when turning hard to the left. If it turns out I need a bearing there I'll probably just buy a junkyard knuckle as an assembly for under $30 and gamble on it being good.

Each bearing and associated misc parts are about $85-100 per side with OEM parts then the shop labor which starts at roughly $70 minimum to do anything in my neighborhood even if I just took them the knuckle and my parts.

Shame on Toyota for not just making the entire hub/bearing one sealed unit that bolts into the spindle like on many cars. It's literally a 30 minute job on that setup with no special tools required. The spindle does not even need to come out of the car!
Old 08-12-14, 03:18 AM
marcb
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by marcb
Excellent post sir, thanks for that. I just found that a small drop of oil right behind the axle hub, that is, on the oil seal, effectively got rid of all the resonating, speed independent and brake independent noises that have been coming out of the wheel. Just wanted to share that as a shiny beacon in noisy days, or otherwise a statue of a hopeless hobbyist.

Cheers y'all and don't give up fighting those noises.
In retrospect, this did not work permanently, but it did indicate the root of the problem, which was the oil seal. Its rubber had disintegrated, and the spiral band inside the oil seal was on the metal axle which must have caused the harmonics. A new oil seal solved the problem; the bearing itself was still perfect. Not having a press, I used the freezer for the axle and the kitchen oven at 180 C for the near side bearing ring to get it together again, a method I'd recommend!

A note of warning: be extra careful with removing the axle nut. I damaged the thread when I hammered out the indented part of the axle nut, and it turn it damanged the axle thread when I put it back on. I know it's recommended to always replace the nut, but I could not lay my hands on a new one without buying a new bearing. I took a LOT of time cleaning up the threads again.

Last edited by marcb; 08-12-14 at 03:41 AM.
Old 08-27-14, 09:27 PM
mouse23
Driver School Candidate

Question continuation from above post#20.

I kept postponing that dreaded bearing job until one day the RR tire got punctured by a peace of steel and I had to put the spare tire on.
I was due for new tires so I bought four new tires mounted and balanced.
Here comes the crazy part. On the way home I suddenly became aware that that loud "bearing noise" was gone. Total silence! I have worked long enough on cars to know that that noise was not caused by my tires. (See my post #20 above.) There I described that the noise was there even without the tires hitting the pavement, but one wheel rotating when the other one was blocked.

So I'm thinking, did one tire have a larger circumference than the other, causing noise from the differential? Any thoughts on this anybody? If it is the differential, and it should not be noisy, what should be done to fix it.

BTW. A nice tutorial on the differential:*****://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4JhruinbWc. How Differential Gear works (BEST Tutorial)

Last edited by mouse23; 08-29-14 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Additional information
Old 06-30-15, 06:44 PM
94Blexus
Driver School Candidate

Default Thank you!!!

EXACTLY what i was looking for!!
Old 02-19-16, 10:56 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

Received 201 Likes on 156 Posts
Default I did this job today

I found a few twists to the job. If you have a good puller, you can avoid the cutting of the outside inner race:

Pull inner race instead of cutting

I also found that it was easier to press this race on before inserting into the housing. You just have to press the inside inner race in but leave some room, then using a screwdriver or small pry bar push the seal into the housing, then finish pressing the race in (from the nut side). This keeps you from having to press against the new bearing for the entire length of the hub shaft.

As others have said, this job isn't for someone without access to a lot of tools and work space. It takes a good afternoon to do it.

Tools:
19mm socket
17mm socket
22mm wrench
10mm wrench
Ball joint puller
Needle nose pliers
36mm socket (or 1-3/8" standard 6 point, yes this works fine)
1/2" pneumatic impact
Hydraulic press
Chisel
Hammer
Screwdriver
Large socket to fit against outer race for pressing out and in (1-3/4 impact style or 1-7/8 regular socket)

Parts:
Front:
Bearing Timken 510017 $34.99, National $36.89 SKF FW149 $50.76 on RockAuto
Seal $7.95 90311-50008 on toyotapartsdeal.com
or
$7.99 Toyota OEM on Driftmotion
Rear:
Bearing Timken 511007 $65.79, National $54.79 on Rock Auto
Seals Inner $14.30 90311-63001, Outer $11.10 90311-57001 on toyotapartsdeal.com
or
Seals Inner $7.99, Outer $7.99 Toyota OEM on Driftmotion

Last edited by RXRodger; 02-21-16 at 05:09 AM. Reason: tools
Old 02-21-16, 04:41 PM
Exposed
Driver School Candidate

Great post thanks!!
Old 03-28-16, 06:41 PM
river
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wheel bearing v wheel bearing hub

Is it good idea to change the hub with already bearing pressed in. How much I should pay yo shop if I want them to press out and press in bearing in my old hub?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tutorial: Front Wheel Bearing Replacement