Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

2jz-gte bottom end with 2jzge head???

Old 04-27-10, 05:21 PM
SuicidnS13
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Default 2jz-gte bottom end with 2jzge head???

So guys would using a stock 2jzgte bottom end with my 2jzge head allow me to reuse my harness, ecu ect? Has anyone done this before? Ive searched on here and google and all I find are 2jzgte heads on ge bottom ends. I have access to a good aristo short block. Would there be any benefit to this swap other than the improved strength from the lower compression pistons?
Old 04-27-10, 10:00 PM
2jzLextasy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The saying is that the N/A head flows better and has minimal gains compared to the GTE head. i havent seen it on paper. But watch it because you still have to add the oil squirters and stuff the the N/a head. Personally its to much hassel for very few hp. i would just go the the gte head. but yes the harness will fit on the ge head.
Old 04-27-10, 11:14 PM
1sxyrxy
Lead Lap

are you going turbo, yes it would work, but if you arent going turbo you wil have to plug the oil feed lines on the side of the block and swap out the upper and lower pan. no point if your not going turbo. you will also have to swap the oil cooler to the NA oil filter housing
Old 04-28-10, 08:13 AM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

^^ Agreed, but I can't imagine why anyone would do this if they WEREN'T going with a turbo. The loss of compression would simply kill NA performance. I'm guessing he must be planning on it.
Old 04-28-10, 02:12 PM
SC51
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Planning the same thing in near future rather than building the current, does the tranny bolt up same as GE block?
Old 04-28-10, 02:51 PM
SuicidnS13
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SC51
Planning the same thing in near future rather than building the current, does the tranny bolt up same as GE block?
Exactly why I was even considering this? The oil squirters are in the block and not the head. Also this is for a turbo sc300 setup. Looking for somewhere around 500whp reliable. This way the weak link will be the w58 tranny.
Old 04-28-10, 03:46 PM
trancuongv
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You really dont need the oil squirters to be able to push 500 hp reliably. Lexforlife has a GE motor with a Boost Logic kit and he is close to 600 hp. GE motors are tough and can handle the boost. Head gasket and ARP bolts and you are good to go!
Old 04-28-10, 05:47 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SuicidnS13

... Looking for somewhere around 500whp reliable. This way the weak link will be the w58 tranny.
"Houston, we have a problem"

at least you know it going into it
Old 04-28-10, 06:24 PM
frankdms
Pole Position

You dont need the TT block/pistons for 500hp. Your GE block with a +HG/studs like above mentioned is just fine. You will get qucker spool with that higher comp giving you great tq lower in the rpm band. There is too much bad info on comp ratios and turbo VE out there, 500hp 93 or better fuel with a good tune and have fun. As for the w58 it bolts right up to the
1jz/2jzge/gte the same.
Old 04-28-10, 09:09 PM
SuicidnS13
Lead Lap

Which compression head gasket for the GE? Also which clutch for the w58 will handle 500trq? Will the tranny even hold this? Ive seen some cars handle around this. But most say to switch to an r154 right off the back. But in the 240sx world with 1jz and 2jz's Ive seen dozens of blown r154's. Even in a chassis almost 800lbs lighter with less grip due to being a drift setup.

Here is my current collected parts list:

PT6765
XS Power mani (to be replaced after tuning)
Map ECU 2
850cc injectors
Dual Walbros
Tial 44mm wg
Tial BOV
FMIC
Supra TT Alum. Radiator
ect...

I sold my 1jz S14 to build this car. I am so excited to get her going.
Old 08-15-11, 02:31 PM
bigqdone
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by frankdms
You dont need the TT block/pistons for 500hp. Your GE block with a +HG/studs like above mentioned is just fine. You will get qucker spool with that higher comp giving you great tq lower in the rpm band. There is too much bad info on comp ratios and turbo VE out there, 500hp 93 or better fuel with a good tune and have fun. As for the w58 it bolts right up to the
1jz/2jzge/gte the same.
Hey guys, i'm planning the same thing but thought it would be prudent to get the gte small block since my engine is pushing close to 190K on it. I plan to get the Swift Racing Turbo Kit and upgrade the cams from Bower. Also planned to get my tranny rebuilt to handle about 450-500hp...
Old 08-16-11, 09:03 AM
Superjatt
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bigqdone
Hey guys, i'm planning the same thing but thought it would be prudent to get the gte small block since my engine is pushing close to 190K on it. I plan to get the Swift Racing Turbo Kit and upgrade the cams from Bower. Also planned to get my tranny rebuilt to handle about 450-500hp...
It really depends on how much your looking forward too. If you have a w58 it is rumored that they can hold up 350. But if you want to go bigger you can go r154 and if you want to take home the trophy every night you can get a v160 but it really depends on what your hp goals are, Also gotta keep that $$$ in mind. Good luck on your build
Old 08-19-11, 08:01 AM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

I did this with 7mgte bottom end and 7mge head, the car became alive .
The cams were different in the ge engine a d that's what made the $$$$$
Definitely recommend! With less boost you push more horsepower and it becomes more addictive and you thirst for a bigger injectors and then fuel pump, bigger turbo and on ... It's fun as long as you have the ka-Ching
Good luck!

Oh I wouldn't push w58 over 350hp on daily driving, you'll destroy it in a matter of months.

Last edited by LEXXIUM; 08-19-11 at 08:07 AM.
Old 08-19-11, 02:32 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

folks using a gte block with a ge head is not the correct way to make it happen.. you are actually increasing the detonation factor using this method by destroying the squish factor within the combustion chamber.. the gte piston has a dish design specific to the gte recessed combustion area . squish is critical as boost goes up to aid in proper flame travel.. all i would do is use the ge block , ge head and gte headgasket for the compression level is ideal for boost in todays time ...gte block with ge head actually lowers you down to around 8:4:1 .. oil squirters are useless in higher boost applications for you are doing is squirting hot oil into hot cyl chamber .. pointless design that toyota came up with to reduce temps during stock boost levels to reduce potential for warranty claims...also ge pistons are made of same material as gte piston so they are just as strong

research squish as it relates to combustion motors and you will understand how important it is to maintain intended squish

Last edited by lexforlife; 08-19-11 at 02:35 PM.
Old 08-19-11, 06:47 PM
fantastic1
Rookie

Why not just get new headgasket to lower the compression and maybe new studs and call it a day? No point in going thru the hassle with the block swap when there is little to no difference. GTE and GE blocks both use same internals.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2jz-gte bottom end with 2jzge head???