Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Engine rebuild suggestions please

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-10, 10:25 PM
TLDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Engine rebuild suggestions please

Well I bought a 2jz-ge, I knew it had a BHG so I tore it all down.The head needs to be resurfaced and the block has some signs that the piston was rubbing on the cylinder walls but very slightly. I would compare it like if you were to crystallize brake rotors, but once again very minor. I was talking it over with my buddy/mechanic and he said we need to take it to the machine shop and get it honed and to try to keep it the stock size by getting it polished and see how that goes.

The reason why I don't want to bore it out is because I want to use the oem pistons and rods for a cheap/temp fix, so when I upgrade the internals it will be on my original block that recently had a bhg and over heated as well. What would you guys do? I am sure boring the block a bit will mean new pistons (bigger), not just rings.
Old 04-18-10, 12:09 AM
shonuff53
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

depending on how much your gonna pay for all that, it might be cheaper to just buy another ge motor, ive seen them as low as $150 on craigslist its almost worth the time it'll save you.
Old 04-18-10, 12:49 AM
HellFish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it depends on the condition of the walls. honing doesnt necessarily mean that youre widening by too much. its a polish. youre definitely losing some material, but i doubt youll need to upsize pistons/rings.
Old 04-18-10, 09:35 AM
TLDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HellFish
it depends on the condition of the walls. honing doesnt necessarily mean that youre widening by too much. its a polish. youre definitely losing some material, but i doubt youll need to upsize pistons/rings.
I hope this is what will happen in my case, I wont know until I take it in to the machine shop. I call around and I was quoted 120-150 to get it done. Does that sound about right?
Old 04-18-10, 12:43 PM
chingpo05
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes that sounds about right. my rebuild will consist of rehone, new rings, new bearings, new seals and gaskets. i rather rebuild my own motor because i am very **** about oil burning caused by poor ring seal. i am also thinking about getting my pistons race coated to help ease break-in