Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

"92 SC 400, Running on 4 cylinders?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-02, 09:23 PM
Kenzmail
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "92 SC 400, Running on 4 cylinders?

Hey all you experts, I'm new to this so maybe my issue has been talked about and already solved(?)
Sitting at the drive thru coffee place in my all stock '92 SC 400, waiting for my coffee when suddenly it starts acting like it's running on 4 cyclinders. And, (this is really weird) as I try to rev it, the tach pegs to zero RPM(?). I limped home and parked it, noticing an unpleasent smell, sort of a burning smell.
Does this car have 2 coils, one that may have given up? Are there any other suggestions or similar experiences?
Thanx,
Ken
Old 06-11-02, 11:51 AM
Kenzmail
Driver School Candidate

Well,
I never got a single response from this club. The Lexus dealer said that yes, a coil was bad due to leaking valve cover gasket(s), ...saturated the coil with oil. A new coil installed: $350+ (ouch!), new valve cover gaskets: $630+ (double ouch!).
The better part of a grand! I'm sure I could've did it myself but it's too late now. Should pick it up today.
Ken
Old 06-11-02, 12:50 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

Did you see the oil leaking from your valve cover? Do you do your own oil changes? Did the place you may or may not take your car to get oil changes notify you about oil coming form the valve cover? They should have.
Old 06-11-02, 06:00 PM
Kenzmail
Driver School Candidate

Well, to be honest, this is my Dad's car and he lets me use it when I need to (excellent loaner car huh?). I/we did not see the oil leak and it never left a drop in the garage. He had all the service (oil changes etc. ) done at the Lexus dealership who never warned of any oil leaks. It's a '92 with only 46k miles and I feel that, with the low miles and age, the gaskets were probably just hard and gave up.
I went on-line and found a Bosch coil for $99 and a valve cover gasket set for $48 (with spark plug tube seals) at AutoZone. Armed with that info we headed to the dealership and I whined to the service guy. In the end, he knocked off 15% for a grand total of $831 (still ouch). I have learned that you just have to SAY SOMETHING and usually get a price break ($150).
Thanx for your help,
Ken
Old 06-11-02, 06:27 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

Default sure

I really didn't help with anything but no problem. It is a curious thing though. I'm not familiar with the v8 but on the i6 the coil is on the fender wall way to the passenger side wheel well at the hood line. If that is the same location(s) (otherwise, I'm wrong) as the 400 then that is some heavy oil leakage you know? If the distributor is in the same location on the dohc v8 as is the dohc i6 then I could see it affecting the distributor and there stopping ignition. The cap/rotor does not cost that much.

Either way, it is fixed and you've got the cool loaner back running.
Old 06-11-02, 08:33 PM
Kenzmail
Driver School Candidate

Well, I'm pretty good with small block (or big block) Chevys but, if this V8 has a distributor at all, it's hidden beneath some of the engine dress stuff. One coil is in plain view on the left front of the engine block at the front of the head. The other, which was the bad one (according to the Lexus guy), is in the back of the motor and below, obviously, where an oil leak could saturate it.
Yea, it's good to have the cool loaner back while I'm installing rear control arms on my '94 Impala SS.
Thanx again,
Ken
Old 06-13-02, 03:19 AM
AussieSoarer
Driver School Candidate

Post Ignition Coils

One coil is on the top at the front of the engine,,the other is on the side above air con compressor ( your drivers side) my passengers side..If you want any help in the future mail me,ok.
I can't see how they didn't notice oil comming down from the side.
I am in half a mind to believe em'..600$ to put on rocker gasket,,MAN thats 1,200$ over here...And I know that side cover is not hard to replace..
Old 06-13-02, 09:36 AM
Kenzmail
Driver School Candidate

Thanx for the input. Maybe the Aussie version is different but, the one coil that's easy is on MY drivers side, front of the head (that one was OK). Couldn't see the other.
All is well now though.
Thanx again,
Ken