Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

DIY Tire Well Harness Relocation

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-10, 10:29 AM
Dustin2JZ
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jgdynamics
i found out that i didnt really have to do that, i just removed the fender and moved the harness above the lip and used some brackets to hold it in place. While you are in there without the fender you should also relocate the hood cable.
i'm not sure if you had to remove your fender for something else but what i posted should be much easier than removing the fender.

And I did this writeup mostly as an alternative to cutting all of the wires like the writeup on the first page of the DIY thread
Old 03-17-10, 04:26 PM
TheRonTom3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a better write up than the last one that never had any picture
Old 03-17-10, 08:15 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Very informative write up. Thanks for taking the time out for the pictures and the explanantion of each. Its now saved to the favorites. Thanks again.
Old 03-17-10, 09:14 PM
matrixgts
Lead Lap

Good job.the pics are a big help.
Old 04-03-10, 03:40 PM
Dustin2JZ
Rookie

Hi. Haven't been on in a while but I thought I would just say that the pictures were my main reason for doing it. It's easier to show where something is than trying to explain it. I just hope it helps others like it would have helped me.
Old 04-08-10, 12:09 AM
Spooled
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did this today at work. Sure was nice with a lift and power tools

Only thing I could think of adding is trying to get as much slack as possible at the washer fluid resevoir. When pulling the bulk of the harness through that hole, you will notice there's a branch of the harness that forks off towards the washer bottle. I had to cut the factory wire loom and try to seperate the two harnesses to obtain some more slack in the primary harness. I used every last available bit of slack to get one of the connectors back into its socket (believe it was the largest connector). Made the wires tighter than I like.

Thanks for the how-to. Made it a breeze. Figured I could do it w/o a problem, just needed to see the basics, which you provided.

Last edited by Spooled; 04-09-10 at 07:10 AM.
Old 04-08-10, 11:05 AM
rdubious23
Rookie

Originally Posted by Spooled
Did this today at work. Sure was nice with a lift and power tools

Only thing I could think of adding is trying to get as much slack as possible at the washer fluid resevoir. When pulling the bulk of the harness through that hole, you will notice there's a branch of the harness that forks off towards the washer bottle. I had to cut the factory wire loom and try to seperate the two harnesses to obtain some more slack in the primary harness. I used every last available bit of slack to get one of the connectors back into its socket (believe it was the largest connector). Made the wires tighter than I like.

Thanks for the how-to. Made it a breeze. Figured I could do it w/o a problem, just needed to see the basics, which you provided.
I did this last night, and had the same problem around the fluid reservoir. I wasn't able to get the reservoir back to the screwed in position without jeopordizing the wires. The reservoir attaches pretty tight to the washer fluid tank so I was thinking of attaching to the car with some double sided tape or something. Think that'll work?
Old 04-09-10, 07:12 AM
Spooled
Lead Lap

Not sure. I was able to get my reservoir back in. I did notice that carefully cutting the factory wire loom right at that branch in the harness, where it splits next to the reservoir, and pulled the 2 harness apart a little, I got some more room. The reservoir neck was a tight fit, but it made it back in.
Old 04-09-10, 06:43 PM
saru
Driver

Originally Posted by Spooled
Not sure. I was able to get my reservoir back in. I did notice that carefully cutting the factory wire loom right at that branch in the harness, where it splits next to the reservoir, and pulled the 2 harness apart a little, I got some more room. The reservoir neck was a tight fit, but it made it back in.
I did the same thing and it all fit in fine after that. Thanks for this write up really helped out
Old 04-09-10, 09:16 PM
SpuGen
Rookie

I tried to do this, but I couldn't get to the harness plugs since my Compustar Brain was in the way. I wasn't gonna bother to take it out and redo it.
So I did this instead.

Alot of zipties and a random metal brace welded on the lip. Sanded and painted. Tucked, and ziptied. Doesn't rub.

Pics are front to back.
Car was jacked up so you can see. and for working room.

Name:  IMG_0211.jpg
Views: 5589
Size:  96.4 KB
Name:  IMG_0210.jpg
Views: 5571
Size:  108.7 KB

Old 04-10-10, 05:22 AM
94LEXUS400
Driver

Default front wheel well wire tuck

I am wondering if this harness relocation is needed if I am running Supra Eibach suspension setup?
Thanks

Steve
Old 04-10-10, 08:49 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

^ only needed if you are rubbing..

i am doing this tomorrow i am basically cutting through my fender lining now.
Old 04-21-10, 03:33 AM
Vincent123
Lexus Champion

Just did this today, this thread made it really easy to do. The only hard part was unplugging the wires, pain in the ***.

for the guys who did this, did u leave the fender liner off or put it back in?
Old 04-21-10, 06:38 AM
TANE
Pole Position

Good write up OP.
I wish I would have known this in december before I Cut into my harness.
Old 04-21-10, 10:51 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Vincent123
Just did this today, this thread made it really easy to do. The only hard part was unplugging the wires, pain in the ***.

for the guys who did this, did u leave the fender liner off or put it back in?
It depends on how low you are. If you're rubbing the lining then you might as well leave it off. Last thing you would want is to rip it off when you are on the highway. If you only occasionally rub the lining then leave it on since it looks better with it.

Quick Reply: DIY Tire Well Harness Relocation