Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

My NA-T install w/AEM, Turbonetics, HKS, etc... 56k go take a walk

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-10, 08:23 PM
DrakeMK3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My NA-T install w/AEM, Turbonetics, HKS, etc... 56k go take a walk

I've been collecting parts for my build for a little over half a year and took last week off of work to turn my 95 5 speed into a daily driver with a bit more umph. I used a Turbonetics 60-1 .68 exhaust housing, Turbonetics log manifold, Turbonetics deltagate, HKS SSQV, AEM EMS, Soarer sidemount, fabbed & welded intercooler piping, and of course, time.

Here's the stock engine with the intake already removed.

Here's the engine with the stock exhaust manifold removed. I was greatful for how easy it was to get off.

Next, was the dreaded oil pan drill :shudder:

Here's the chunk of metal that came out and the holesaw that did the damage (7/8ths)

I made an aluminum plate, and tapped it with a 1/2" NPT tap to receive the fitting I got from Lowe's. It came out quite nicely.

Here's a fuzzy shot of pre-fitting the intercooler.

Here's the bracket I fabbed to keep it in place up front.

The log manifold pre-fitting....not a whole lot to prefit.

I put the turbo on and clocked it to optimal positioning and installed the oil feed line using the IS300 union bold and a 1/4 NPT to -3AN adapter. The stainless -3AN line was made by a local shop for $30.

Wouldn't you know I couldn't put an intake on the turbo without modding the dizzy, so I got a 4 runner dizzy to clear things and trimmed/hacked the shield off under the dizzy with a dremel to make it all fit in harmony.

Next, welded the wideband bung to the downpipe only to discover that once I bolted on the downpipe there was no way it would connect to the stock exhaust. In fact, the flange of the downpipe was pressed hard against the body of the car. That just wouldn't do, so I hacked it up ever so slightly and repositioned it to a perfect fit.

wideband bung....

downpipe reweld...

Finally, the perfect fit....

Now, it was time for some intercooler pipe fabbing. The lower pipe was fun.

I got a 2.5"->2" reducer and welded it to some 2.5 pipe so I could later weld some 2" pipe to that.

Here's the lower pipe tacked together....

Here's the pipe installed on the turbo.

For the IAT sensor bung, I drilled out a nut from a bracket we had leftover and tapped it out.

I then cut it off and welded it to the upper intercooler pipe. It's near the ignition coil, so it's pretty hidden. Here's what the final product looks like in the engine bay.

Lastly, I installed the AEM, did the fuel pump computer bypass, and started tuning....

Keep in mind, tuning a standalone by yourself is not something I'd recommend without the help of someone who has experience doing it. I have experience tuning a Holley Commander 950 that my dad has on his Chevelle, so I wasn't intimidated to try tuning the AEM.

-Drake
Old 03-15-10, 08:32 PM
TroySC300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Holy cow, very nice. I like the idea of using the sidemount IC. Keep us updated!
Old 03-15-10, 08:35 PM
Slade
Pole Position

very nice write up!!
Old 03-15-10, 08:37 PM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wow very nice i didnt think the log style mani were good on a na-t with dizzy. Great job man
Old 03-15-10, 08:39 PM
manchesi
Driver School Candidate

verry nice i cant wait till mines done
Old 03-15-10, 08:57 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks great, very nice work.
Old 03-15-10, 08:59 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

nice NA-T setup.. pics work now =)

Last edited by jadu; 03-15-10 at 09:12 PM. Reason: pictures not working
Old 03-16-10, 08:23 AM
DrakeMK3
Driver

I have the car on a decent fuel map (still on the rich side under heavy load), and I have a few places where it will buck, but I'm getting there. I haven't touched timing at all, except for the idle areas. The max boost I've seen it register though the logs is about 6.7 psi which is fine while I'm tuning. The injector duty cycle has gotten pretty high in some spots, but it's also running really rich in those areas, so I am confident they will be back down to safe levels once I tune out the really rich spots.
Old 03-17-10, 11:31 AM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey with the .68 back housing is that turbo any laggy with ur setup and are u running stock fuel ?
Old 03-17-10, 07:02 PM
DrakeMK3
Driver

I am running stock fuel at 7 psi. I've only registered 6.7 as the peak, but I'm sure there is probably a .3 psi loss somewhere through the intercooler since it is a stock soarer sidemount. I don't feel it is laggy, especially due to the stock compression. In my opinion, I think it's a perfect street setup because it's not so small that it runs out of breath up top, but at the same time, this turbo can support 500 whp.
Old 03-17-10, 07:17 PM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey man, another turbo SC in TN!!! Haha, hey I have a few questions. What do you do with the AFM when using the AEM EMS V2? I am definatly running it and ultimatly wondering is it really plug and play?

Could also use a lot of help drilling the oil pan, I would pay you to do it if youre interested.

Last edited by Carfreak70; 03-17-10 at 07:25 PM.
Old 03-17-10, 08:35 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When you go AEM the AFM will be deleted and you will run the AFM wires to the Map sensor and AIT sensor.
I will running AEM on my car also.
Nice set up you got there, it shouldn't be any lag with the .68AR on the 2JZ.
Old 03-18-10, 08:20 AM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Carfreak70
Hey man, another turbo SC in TN!!! Haha, hey I have a few questions. What do you do with the AFM when using the AEM EMS V2? I am definatly running it and ultimatly wondering is it really plug and play?

Could also use a lot of help drilling the oil pan, I would pay you to do it if youre interested.

the AEM uses speed density (MAP sensor instead of AFM)

how could you not know this if you're already using the AEM? (or did you mean you'll definitely be running it in the future?)

also, drilling the oil pan with it on the car is dangerous...
Old 03-18-10, 08:37 AM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cartmill
the AEM uses speed density (MAP sensor instead of AFM)

how could you not know this if you're already using the AEM? (or did you mean you'll definitely be running it in the future?)

also, drilling the oil pan with it on the car is dangerous...
Nah, not running it yet, but am going to be. Just wondering what all I need to do to get it ready for tuning. Where do I get the map sensor? Will the regular 1J, 2J work?
Old 03-18-10, 08:44 AM
DrakeMK3
Driver

Originally Posted by Carfreak70

Like the post below yours says, you have to get rid if your afm and convert to MAP. I'm using the V1, but the fundamentals are the same when tuning either the V1 or the V2.

What part of TN do you live in? I have no problem helping with drilling the oil return.

Quick Reply: My NA-T install w/AEM, Turbonetics, HKS, etc... 56k go take a walk