Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Calling all 5-speed swaps! pedal inquiries

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-10, 09:58 AM
SCrollinSD
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calling all 5-speed swaps! pedal inquiries

First off, i think it might be nice to have a consolidated list of all the members who are driving an auto to 5-speed swap so we can cross reference questions and concerns within the group.

My initial question relates to the brake/clutch pedals and what people have done to make more room down there.

when i first bought the car, i couldnt even press down the brake pedal without trapping my entire foot underneath while it was on the clutch. not only is this EXTREMELY dangerous, but just plain annoying and uncomfortable.

so; the first thing I did was take a sawsall to the left side of the brake pedal and chopped off a good inch or so section of it. now, it's much more comfortable and safe, but occasionally i still find myself getting caught up down there.

any ideas/tips/suggestions for this problem post up!

I'm thinking about pulling back the carpet and cutting out the dead pedal as well, since my foot sometimes hits that on the way down too.

so, what have you guys done to get rid of this problem?
Old 03-15-10, 10:24 AM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

I've never looked, but is isn't it possible to change the brake pedal to the manual's as well? IDK about eliminating the dead pedal, since there's one in the manual too.
Old 03-15-10, 10:55 AM
SCrollinSD
Pole Position

^^ that might make sense. the actual pedal is welded to the pedal bar, and it seems that no matter how much i chop off the brake pedal, the curve of that bar will always interfere with the clutch. so if theres a way to replace the entire thing, if it has a different shape, that is probably the solution.

sorry if this is a n00b question guys; new to the SC. and yeah i tried a search so don't freak out.

this is why i'm calling all the 5-spd swappers so i can get a definite answer.
Old 03-15-10, 11:00 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I thought you could swap in both the brake and clutch pedal from a manual.
Old 03-15-10, 11:35 AM
Gspec
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just finished my 5-spd swap...I swapped out the brake pedal arm (just the arm itself) for the 5-spd version.
Old 03-15-10, 12:03 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You can just swap the brake pedal itself you leave the auto bracket, they are both the same manual or auto the only difference is the actual brake pedal itself.

If you wanna delete the dead pedal just buy the supra TT clutch pedal and braket and that should fix your problem.
I have both TT clucth pedal and SC one , the TT is aluminum and the SC one is really metal and heavy but i like the SC one better since it's heavier.
Old 03-15-10, 06:45 PM
TURBO819
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by quickGS300
You can just swap the brake pedal itself you leave the auto bracket, they are both the same manual or auto the only difference is the actual brake pedal itself.

If you wanna delete the dead pedal just buy the supra TT clutch pedal and braket and that should fix your problem.
I have both TT clucth pedal and SC one , the TT is aluminum and the SC one is really metal and heavy but i like the SC one better since it's heavier.
Supra Twin Turbo Clutch Pedal. Do you have any Pictures??? Are they the same size???
Old 03-15-10, 09:08 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I will take the pics, different shape but it lines up perfectly of the SC chassis.
Old 03-16-10, 02:56 PM
LEX_MAN
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took out the dead pedal, but it looks ugly now