Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

*Benifits of Air to Water Intercoller?*

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-02, 07:29 PM
SpoiledBoi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *Benifits of Air to Water Intercooler?*

self explained....*Benifits of Air to Water Intercooler?*

Last edited by SpoiledBoi; 05-30-02 at 07:31 PM.
Old 05-31-02, 05:33 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, give it some thought, what's better to cool all that ambient air that's been heated by compressing it down the intake tract, more ambient air, or a nice helping of ice water?
Old 05-31-02, 06:28 AM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

Form what I understand air/water is not practical on a street car. It would be ideal for one run dragsters. Where you pack a compartment with ice and water and roll a 7 sec 1/4 vaporizing all the cool stuff. They are around I guess but an efficient air to air will do the job adequately on a street machine.
Old 05-31-02, 11:33 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

awj, i'm sure you got that from some magazines or something

Air/Water is the BEST solution for the street and the track; problem is most people don't know anything about it... the lightning, the Syclone, and several other turbo/supercharged cars use air/water intercoolers...

A friend of mine who owns an RX-7 that makes 420rwhp uses his stock I/C core converted to a air/water. After 3 hard runs in the car, the intake pipe before the throttle body had frost forming on it; I was sold.

Air/water is the best, its what I plan to use on my turbokit for my car... I can hide the intercooler and make it more sleeperish; and the piping will be A LOT less complicated and expensive

basically you need the intercooler core, a reservoir of some sort; small fuel cells work GREAT... an electric water pump; lines, and a oil cooler core to cool the water... basically mount the oil cooler in the front of the car, have an electric water pump move the water through it and the intercooler and the reservoir... and route the piping from the turbo through the intercooler just like normal... and wham, instant cold air and you can do it with old stock cores like a T2 core, or others

Last edited by Bean; 05-31-02 at 11:36 AM.
Old 05-31-02, 12:20 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

I got it from the book you recommended - Maximum Boost by Corky Bell. I've been reading a lot. But that is not worth experience obviously.

Sounds like a lot of work though for air/water. Co$t. If you want frost, run a fogger n2o set-up. What is the weight of these components together? If it is negligable I would assume it is beneficial. Sounds like cool set-ups though on your boy's ride. Wish there was more out here I could check out.

AJ
Old 06-02-02, 09:01 PM
v8huntr
Rookie

air to water intercoolers are great for cars with limited space. cars with limited space use this set up but you can use regular air to air intercoolers for car with plenty of space. pressure drop on big air to air intercooler isn't that great of deal. i don't think anyone can feel or notice turbo lag because of pressure drop.
Old 06-04-02, 06:54 PM
MatT3T4
Driver

An air-to-water intercooler will afford you great cooling capabilities for a limited time. Ice will only last for a short amount of time. Even with a pump circulating the water through an oil cooler, after time (and a short time, especially during summer), the water will be the same temperature as the ambient air. Once the ice melts, and the water warms, it will be succeptable to the same heat as the air in the outside the intercooler is. As this process continues, and circulates, the hot air, and subsequentially hot pipe, will overpower the cooling capabilities of the oil cooler used to cool the water. The water will soon become the same temperature as the intake charge...It is not an effective way to cool a daily driver.

Also, you are only adding to a headache. Installing more mechanical parts that can, and will break, especially when it has to do with your cooling capabilities, simply isn't the greatest idea, especially in a daily driver.

Your best bet is to cool your front mount air-to-air intercooler with nitrous oxide. Hook up your fogger system to spray from your bumper. Back when I was a turbo-Honda enthusiast, I ran a 430hp daily driver for years. One day I was daydreaming, and I ran downstairs, unhooked my windshield wiper sprayers, routed them down to my bumper, drilled a couple of holes, and installed my windshield sprayers above my intercooler, so I could saturate it on hot days. It worked well. Another tip is to use engine degreaser at the track (while the track officials aren't looking). Have a buddy spray the crap out of your intercooler with it. It is very cold, almost like nitrous...the **** is freezing, and it will work wonders if you saturate your IC with it.