Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

GTE upper FFIM info for stock lowers..

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-10, 01:58 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default GTE upper FFIM info for stock lowers..

Ok, this is just for those of you that were curious about an "inexpensive" way to go to an FFIM. Some of you may remember djkevin510's thread where he fitted the stock GTE upper manifold section to the stock GE lower runners (for ref.: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...r-runners.html ) ..Well I picked up the manifold from him not too long ago (thanks again Kevin) and decided to see how well the runners lined up..

After a bit of measuring, it has come down to one simple solution to use the GTE upper on your stock lower runners. Cylinder runners # 2,3,5 need to be port matched to line up perfectly. So after a bit more grinding with a die-grinder and some sanding and polishing, they line up perfectly and fitment is dead on under the hood. But in doing this, if you were to use either the stock GTE or GE gasket, you will have line problems, and not enough material on the gaskets to shave them down, so welding or some heavy duty gasket material/sealer would be a good idea.

But, if you are running a strut tower bar, I would suggest cutting the flanges of both the GE lower runners and the GTE upper where they would bolt together and weld them to gain clearance. Also for clearance purposes, as most of you would know, the PS pump reservoir needs to be moved..Seeing as how this is the point that I am at now, once it is moved, I will have some pictures later tonight or this following week.

Just though I would share some info

Last edited by turbodremz; 03-04-10 at 03:44 PM.
Old 03-04-10, 02:12 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So you going into mass production?? lol this summer Ill probably take one off your hands.
Old 03-04-10, 03:23 PM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you got any pics of what u have done ? sounds pretty interesting

edit: link dead ???
Old 03-04-10, 03:43 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ashtray
So you going into mass production?? lol this summer Ill probably take one off your hands.
Not just yet..the manifolds I was talking to you about I will be making, this is just something I picked up to get my car on the road in the meantime while I am putting the first design together for an ffim.

Originally Posted by YeA 2jZ
you got any pics of what u have done ? sounds pretty interesting

edit: link dead ???
not yet, I just finished wrestling the stock parts off. I will do a test fit in a few hours and take a couple of pictures...link is fixed, sorry about that.

And just to clarify, I did not start this..this manifold was a running setup on djkevin's car, but he went a different route due to some tech. diff...I have to say he is the one that gets all the credit for doing the initial research and fitting, Im just taking it a step further.
Old 03-04-10, 03:50 PM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by turbodremz
Not just yet..the manifolds I was talking to you about I will be making, this is just something I picked up to get my car on the road in the meantime while I am putting the first design together for an ffim.

not yet, I just finished wrestling the stock parts off. I will do a test fit in a few hours and take a couple of pictures...link is fixed, sorry about that.

And just to clarify, I did not start this..this manifold was a running setup on djkevin's car, but he went a different route due to some tech. diff...I have to say he is the one that gets all the credit for doing the initial research and fitting, Im just taking it a step further.

thats kool i saw kevins thread also it just not alot of info but still interesting. keep us posted with pics when u can thanks
Old 03-04-10, 04:40 PM

sorry everyone for my unfinished thread about this tt upper manifold to ge lower runnners! after my engine went boom i did not really feel like continue my thread about this becauase i almost gave up on on my car and clublexus because of my stupid mistake of over boosting but turbodreams has convinced me to go keep my sc a build it again so gte here i come! turbodreams can finish this diy i'm sure he can figure out how i did it! goooooo chris!!!!!

Last edited by djkevin510; 03-04-10 at 04:43 PM.

Old 03-04-10, 06:08 PM
SC300_704
Lexus Champion

interesting..but won't you have to extend the wiring harness and would you have to use the tt sensors on the IM?
Old 03-04-10, 06:38 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

thats kool i saw kevins thread also it just not alot of info but still interesting. keep us posted with pics when u can thanks
Exactly why I chose to pick up where he left off, and figured it would be useful information for those that are NA-T that would prefer a FFIM without having to pay $600 for a couple pieces of welded aluminum with no TB or anything else..pics will be up once they are resized.

Originally Posted by djkevin510
sorry everyone for my unfinished thread about this tt upper manifold to ge lower runnners! after my engine went boom i did not really feel like continue my thread about this becauase i almost gave up on on my car and clublexus because of my stupid mistake of over boosting but turbodreams has convinced me to go keep my sc a build it again so gte here i come! turbodreams can finish this diy i'm sure he can figure out how i did it! goooooo chris!!!!!
Yes, but you went to the darkside and bought a BMW..j/k, but it should be running soon if all goes well.

Originally Posted by SC300_704
interesting..but won't you have to extend the wiring harness and would you have to use the tt sensors on the IM?
nope, cause Kevin was kind enough to have the stock TB flange welded to the GTE manifold..extend a couple sensors for TPS, install a Lokar throttle cable, and done. You even keep your stock fuel rail, and in this case I orderd another set of clips for my old 440cc's and they are ready to go in.

PICTURES: sorry for the crap quality, and the mess in the engine bay..still a whole lot of stuff going on under the hood.

How it looks from the top

there are 4 bolts that line up correctly, but for safety sake, and for clearance, I may be cutting the flanges and making it a one piece manifold/lower.

harness sits in stock location, but I will be moving below the manifold and extending the injector harness

Plenty of clearance between BB housing and shock tower.

Just to show that even with the GTE TB, you will still need to relocate the PS reservoir. I should have this done moday.

I will have more pictures as things progress, but this is just to simply inform and show that yes it can be done, and what is needed.
Old 03-04-10, 06:54 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Sweet info. I always thought it was not even close to fitting.
Looks like this could have a lot of potential. how close is it to the hood?
Old 03-04-10, 07:00 PM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

so the manifold sits higher than the head, dosent that look a bit off ? Also for those of us that dont want to use the stock TB do you think we could run wire and use TT sensors ?
Old 03-04-10, 08:18 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
Sweet info. I always thought it was not even close to fitting.
Looks like this could have a lot of potential. how close is it to the hood?
It actually fits very nicely. I havent measured the exact distance from the top of the manifold to the hood, but the hood does close. I will pull the headlight out tomorrow and see how much room there is.

so the manifold sits higher than the head, dosent that look a bit off ? Also for those of us that dont want to use the stock TB do you think we could run wire and use TT sensors ?
yeah it sits a bit higher than the head, but doesnt look too bad in person..plus once my turbo is on, it should be balanced fairly nice since the turbo sits higher too
Old 03-05-10, 08:38 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

4 out of how many bolts fit? If the hood closes and theres enough bolts to hold it sealed it seems alright.

have you seen this new ebay manifold for the gte, its very inexpensive at $240.
How hard would it be to just fab up that bottom plate to fit the ge lower runners. maybe easier than all that custom welding.
Attached Thumbnails GTE upper FFIM info for stock lowers..-gte-intake-manifold.jpg  
Old 03-05-10, 09:54 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
4 out of how many bolts fit? If the hood closes and theres enough bolts to hold it sealed it seems alright.

have you seen this new ebay manifold for the gte, its very inexpensive at $240.
How hard would it be to just fab up that bottom plate to fit the ge lower runners. maybe easier than all that custom welding.

Hmmm...now you have me thinking. Later on I may have to pick one up and use the spare set of lower runners I have and mock something up..and as for the bolts, its 4 out of 8. 2 in the middle section, and 1 on each outer corner. They seem to hold pretty tight, but Im going to weld them just for my personal insurance with it being installed on a boosted application.

But I will be sure to pick up one of the ones that you posted (pm me the link from ebay) and I will see what I can come up with. I might beable to cut a deal with a machine shop here locally and have some adapter plates made
Old 03-05-10, 09:58 AM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Ali can u send me the link to that mani might be easier to mod that one than an oem mani
Old 03-05-10, 10:50 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

definately would be less work if we could make the plates.
I just wonder how it bolts on cause we may run into the same problem.
just go to ebay and search 2jzgte intake manifold. cant miss it, seems to be fairly new item though and ive heard nothing about it.

Quick Reply: GTE upper FFIM info for stock lowers..