Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

MAP-ECU2 Advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-10, 11:34 AM
jonboyb
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MAP-ECU2 Advice

My SC (2JZ-NA bottom built with GTE internals and 1JZ-GTE head) is currently running standard piggyback electronics (BCC, FCD, and Apexi NEO). I was looking into having MAP-ECU2 installed (which I know is still piggyback...but a different animal completely) but I was quoted 5 hours labor just for the install (plus ECU, parts, and $600 for one tune). I've been building, installing, and tuning Megasquirt ECU's and running the Ford EDIS ignitions with it for years and my research on the MAP-ECU2 systems show the wiring to be a walk in the park (literally less than 20 total wire splices/cuts). The shop claims since I'm running a 1JZ-GTE computer there's no harness adapter and the wiring is difficult.

I'm sorry....I see nothing difficult in the schematics shown on the mapecu.com website. Am I missing something that makes this install difficult or is the shop just trying to make a quick buck?
Old 02-19-10, 11:42 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

why not look into the MAFT Pro or Gen 2..Your already MAP based I assume, so it just makes the install that much easier for you.

After talking to an SC400 owner(supercharged) and a hand full of Supra owners (1 is na-t with the MAFT pro and GTE ecu) its easier to use than the MAP ECU, you dont NEED a laptop or computer to adjust settings, but you have the option to hook one up, and from what I have read they can support well over 600hp..not to mention they are much cheaper than the MAP ECU.

Mine should be in soon, and I will have a full review of it as soon as possible.
Old 02-19-10, 11:51 AM
jonboyb
Driver

Yes, my car is already MAP based only. I've run the older MAF-T's but not alot of experience with the pro's. Does it actually have ignition control???

The problem I used to have with the earlier MAF-T's was drivability once injectors got really big. With only 3 tuning points (idle, mid, and WOT....well, and base fuel) the drivability of the cars suffered as the injectors got bigger and bigger. Case and point my last MAFT car was a 92 Laser running a 3575 turbo and 850 injectors. Made silly power but cranking and driving up and down the road was not good. The SC has 1000 cc injectors and a PT76 turbo with dual walbros. Hadn't honestly given the MAFT a thought on this project.

And again, I want the ability for minor ignition control and full wideband communication. If the MAFT pro can do that....it's worth looking into for sure.
Old 02-19-10, 11:59 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Im not 100% clear on the ignition but it does have RPM band selection for fuel/spark adjustments and there is free software for additional tuning adjustments via laptop but I dont know the extent of detail, but the wideband communication is there on the Pro.
Old 02-19-10, 12:49 PM
v8soarer91
Pole Position

Have a look at Haltech Platinum Interceptor.

http://www.haltech.com/index.php?opt...d=25&Itemid=22
http://www.haltech.com/index.php?opt...d=50&Itemid=46

You need to tune with a laptop

They retail for $750aud
Old 02-19-10, 01:40 PM
fried_rice
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

5 hours is a joke. It takes me about 30 minutes to solder in a map-ecu 1 and run the vacuum line through the firewall. It might take 20 minutes more for the extra 10 wires. I'm going to be installing my map-ecu II, shortly and it will probably take me 15 minutes because my harness is out of the car.

I'd say 2 hours should be the max for a shop that has never done it before.

BTW The map-ecu's are easy to use I learned to tune on a map-ecu 1 with no prior knowledge. Just make sure you have gauges to properly monitor the engine.
Old 02-19-10, 01:57 PM
jonboyb
Driver

The quote is from a shop that MAP-ECU recommended from their website......definantly not their first install
Old 02-21-10, 12:14 PM
hyjaxx
Pole Position

Okayyyy- it's either 16 or 18 wires. Plus running your IAT and boost solenoid (and nitrous or whatever else you want to set up). It totals out to about 3 hours depending on your setup. They need no harness adapter- that's straight bs. The Me2 has no issues communicating with your wideband. The only problem I ran into with it is that you can't increase the redline and the rpm increments suck. I have a high horse build-I had no business piggybacking it though.

Oh and Fried Rice- how'd that Map 1 work out for you? Did you enjoy that little re-learning issue?

Last edited by hyjaxx; 02-21-10 at 12:18 PM.
Old 02-21-10, 05:55 PM
jonboyb
Driver

Is the MAP-ECU2 unit able to overcome boost and fuel cut or will I have to retain the BCC and FCD already in the car?

EDIT: LOL.....nevermind. Research is your friend Looks like fuel cut is eliminated with the MAP-ECU2 so I can yank all the other piggybacks. Anybody looking to buy a BCC, FCD, and APexi Neo???

Last edited by jonboyb; 02-21-10 at 07:03 PM.
Old 02-21-10, 06:36 PM
hyjaxx
Pole Position

Yeah- I have to say- it's the best damn piggyback out there as long as you go v2
Old 02-21-10, 07:35 PM
Trevstuh
Lexus Test Driver

mapecu2 is close too the aem standalone imo, but I'm going to have to look into the maft program. But here is all the info that mapecu2 has to offer:
The MAP-ECU2 (Manifold Absolute Pressure Electronic Control Unit) is a major functional upgrade over the MAP-ECU with the following additional features:

- Full Timing advance and retard control of up to eight (8) channels for Distributor, Group Fire or Coil On Plug configurations using a 20 x 19 (380 zone) table.
- Auxiliary Injector control using a 20 x 19 (380 zone) table.
- OEM O2 Sensor Adjust 26 x 19 (494 zone) table allowing control over Air/Fuel ratios, even in Closed-loop mode.
- Expanded RPM scale now up to 10,000 RPM.
- Two (2) complete sets of Fuel, Timing, Auxiliary Injector, O2 Adjust and EBC tables selectable using a dashboard mounted switch.
- Electronic Boost Control with 1000 RPM target boost points.
- Launch Control
- Fuel Cut Defender
- Speed Cut Defender
- Built-in 35PSI MAP Sensor
- External MAP Sensor option
- User selectable pressure scale configurations

The MAP-ECU2 kit includes: MAP-ECU2, Main 16-Way harness, 18-Way Timing Harness, PC CDROM software, 2 metre serial cable, Inlet Air Temp (IAT) sensor and manual in PDF format.

The MAP-ECU(2) works on most Domestic and Imports, e.g. Alfa Romeo, BMW, Porsche, Toyota, Lexus, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Infinity, Honda, Acura, Subaru, Mazda, Proton, Hyundai and most other late model fuel injected vehicles using most major types of air metering systems (Hotwire, Flap, and Karman-Vortex) found in use today. It can be installed on any 1-10 cylinder engine in less than an hour, and completely replaces the restrictive factory air meter. 'No special fitting kits or special adaptors are required'

- More horsepower and torque by removal of the restrictive factory air meter and control over timing.
- The ability to use the stock ECM to control larger fuel injectors and/or performance upgrades.
- Alter OEM Air/Fuel ratios, even in Closed-Loop mode, for improved gas mileage or power.
- Retains the daily driveability of the stock ECM which is usually sacrificed with a full aftermarket engine management upgrade.
- Real-time tuning using Window™ based MAP-CAL2 software supplied with the unit.
- High-resolution 494 point Fuel table (0-10,000 RPM and -10 to +35 PSI) allows fine tuning for performance and driveability.
- Ability to run different fuels or performance levels using two (2) completely independent Fuel, Timing, O2 Adjust, Auxiliary Injector and Boost Control tables switchable on-the-fly.
- Built-in display and logging of key engine parameters such as RPM, Throttle Position, Boost Pressure, Airflow, Timing Adjust, Auxiliary Injector Duty, Boost Control Duty.
- On-board support for display and logging of popular aftermarket wideband Lambda sensors/controllers.
- On-board programmable NOS window activation switch can also be used to turn on other accessories at set RPM/PSI points.
- Faster and stronger boost with the on-board programmable Electronic Boost Control (EBC) using solenoid control of the wastegate.
- Fast and repeatable launches using the on-board programmable Launch Control.
- Removal of factory Fuel and Speed Cuts using the on-board programmable Fuel Cut Defender and Speed Cut Defender.
- Compensate for wheel size or gearing changes with the on-board programmable Speed Adjust.
- Drive a Shift Light or alter VTEC™ point with the on-board programmable RPM Switch.
- Single unit can be used for Naturally Aspirated or forced induction applications with user selectable pressure scale configuration.
- Simple upgrade from MAP-ECU using the same 16-Way harness and ability to import and convert V2.1 and V2.2 Fuel tables.
- Simple piggy-back installation only requires 7 wires to operate with no major re-wiring of OEM components.

Last edited by Trevstuh; 02-21-10 at 07:46 PM.
Old 02-25-10, 10:03 AM
jonboyb
Driver

Default Just Got Some Bad News

I was just informed by the shop planned for tuing that MAP-ECU2 is only able to control injectors up to approximately 90% larger than stock.....meaning my 1000cc injectors won't work with that system Anybody have some 850's they would like to upgrade to 1000's.....seriously.