Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Oil catch cans, recommended? or purely engine dress up?

Old 01-19-10, 04:58 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil catch cans, recommended? or purely engine dress up?

UPDATE! MY INSTALL ON PAGE 4!

What do you guys think? I cant find any spec. numbers on how much they really help or dont help. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks for all your alls participation.

Ashtray-

Last edited by ashtray; 03-27-10 at 02:20 PM.
Old 01-19-10, 05:31 PM
texan_176
Intermediate

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

If it was really required and the injesting of an oily vapor was very harmful to the engine then it would have been factory installed equipement. $100K+ cars in most cases do not come with such a device so I lean on the side of it being snake oil.

BUT..if you must have one you can build your own for under $10.

http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/Catch_can.html

IMHO it's a bit less stupid than this product:

http://www.turbowhistler.net/blow-off-valve/index.htm
Old 01-19-10, 05:45 PM
HeisLegend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've seen beer bottles as catch cans.

Like the poster above said, just make one.

See if Autowerkzcan fab you up some stuff, broham. I'm not sure if he has a dude that fabs up things like that but you can try.
Old 01-19-10, 06:04 PM
MIGS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it's useless unless your car is boosted. i wouldn't worry about it.

Last edited by MIGS; 01-19-10 at 06:37 PM.
Old 01-19-10, 06:30 PM
1siksc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Catch cans are used mainly to get the nasty oil that is blow backed into you intake manifold and intake pipes... or atleast that's why I use them. If you have ever tooken apart a vehicles intake and noticed it was really dirty it's from that n/a cars can use it aswell, my stock intake was covered with oil from over the years of use.
Old 01-19-10, 06:51 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Originally Posted by texan_176
If it was really required and the injesting of an oily vapor was very harmful to the engine then it would have been factory installed equipement. $100K+ cars in most cases do not come with such a device so I lean on the side of it being snake oil.

BUT..if you must have one you can build your own for under $10.

http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/Catch_can.html

IMHO it's a bit less stupid than this product:

http://www.turbowhistler.net/blow-off-valve/index.htm
I get what your saying about it really being required or not. i am not going to make my own one though lol that looks so hilarious.

Originally Posted by HeisLegend
I've seen beer bottles as catch cans.

Like the poster above said, just make one.

See if Autowerkzcan fab you up some stuff, broham. I'm not sure if he has a dude that fabs up things like that but you can try.
Ill check out Autowerkz..thanks for that.

Originally Posted by Net
I am weeks from being boosted..you think i should lean towards it? i got the cash so im considering it.

Originally Posted by 1siksc
Catch cans are used mainly to get the nasty oil that is blow backed into you intake manifold and intake pipes... or atleast that's why I use them. If you have ever tooken apart a vehicles intake and noticed it was really dirty it's from that n/a cars can use it aswell, my stock intake was covered with oil from over the years of use.
I think im gonna get one lol

Anyone else care to share opinions please do! pics are also welcome if anyone has..this forum is full of pic junkies:P
Old 01-19-10, 11:25 PM
pioww
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a catch can is only necessary when the pressure in the engine approaches the atmospheric pressure. In other words when the pressure of the air inside the engine become greater than the pressure outside the engine. In the engine meaning crank case not combustion chamber. High rpm and/or increase charge pressure contribute to it. It depends on many variables. Even N/A cars can pick up power and efficiency with a vacuum pump. to reduce that pressure.

Oil going inside the combustion chamber from excess crankcase pressure can contribute to detonation.

In general if you are reving past say 5700 or using charged air in excess or close to atmosphere pressure it could an advantage for you.

I guesstimated on that number, this is my general opinion worth 1 cent.
Old 01-20-10, 09:15 AM
ashtray
Pole Position

and by detonation you mean?? blow up? im just gonna get one.
Old 01-20-10, 09:50 AM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Net
Yea, don't worry about it unless you are boosting.
Old 01-20-10, 10:18 AM
booja
Lead Lap

for a stock car no. if youre boosting and creating alot of crank case pressure then yes. your car will be blowing out crap and your intake will be sucking in a bunch of stuff. a good catch can that is baffled inside will catch the oil so your intake will only suck up vapors and not oil.

in my case i didnt have anything hooked up at all and i think i popped my front main seal because of it. too much pressure built up
Old 01-20-10, 10:27 AM
ashtray
Pole Position

Yupp. I'm getting one. I'll post pics of the one I do get and once installed I'll also show that.
Old 01-20-10, 10:28 AM
ishootstuf
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was running one to help try to keep the oil out of my MAF, but I filled it full of stainless steel shavings to help catch the oil, and I made it too restrictive and I'm not running it anymore.
Old 01-20-10, 11:27 AM
KingSoarer
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Turbo cars = yes

Using a breather is a very very good idea, illegal here in Australia but still worth it. If you have a 1JZ then make sure the size of the fittings is 19mm - 22mm as all the Greddy ones are around 14mm and therefore very restrictive.
Old 01-20-10, 11:28 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

with a boosted motor you want something in place to separate the oil from the intake air. If you're sucking oil into the turbo or even the intercooler you're hurting performance and likely damaging equipment.

On an N/A motor? probably not so much. Being in vacuum doesn't draw much oil, but when you're boosting above 5psi it pushes a ton of oil in there.

My 98 cobra had a procharger p1, running 9.5psi with no oil separator, and I used to be able to see the motor oil in the inlet of the supercharger.
Old 01-20-10, 12:28 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jcat_GS3
with a boosted motor you want something in place to separate the oil from the intake air. If you're sucking oil into the turbo or even the intercooler you're hurting performance and likely damaging equipment.

On an N/A motor? probably not so much. Being in vacuum doesn't draw much oil, but when you're boosting above 5psi it pushes a ton of oil in there.

My 98 cobra had a procharger p1, running 9.5psi with no oil separator, and I used to be able to see the motor oil in the inlet of the supercharger.
That about narrows it down for me. Thanks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil catch cans, recommended? or purely engine dress up?